Gibson Brands Forums

Non-reverse Firebird "Studio"

JaviHn

Hello friends.

Being chasing non-reverse firebirds for months now, I've noticed a difference on what "studio" usually means. Les Paul and Reverse Firebird studio guitars are clearly not as "aesthetically luxurious" as the standard models. I've seen Studio versions for those 2 models that are absolutely minimalistic and plain, or if there are a few elegant details, the guitars are never as nice as their standard counterparts. The 2011 non-reverse Firebird is another story though. To me, it looks as gorgeous as a Non-reverse Firebird III from the sixties, and even its MSRP, at $ 2200, is not as affordable as the studio versions of other Gibson models. Isn't studio supposed to mean that the guitar sounds the same for studio purposes, but is not as flashy as a stage guitar? Thanks in advance for any input on this!

c2csqct25yyaxx4waxhr.jpg

Edited by JaviHn
Typos and clarity

Yes, basically a "studio" is a less blingy version of the standard models...  No binding, silkscreen Gibson logo... Apart from that they are made by the same people who make the standards with the same electronics and pickups... Nothing wrong with a studio model at all, especially that one above.. Not many out there like that. Also from what I remember mine had a baked maple fingerboard which was really really nice.

I actually had one of those that you pictured above... It was an amazing guitar. Sadly though I never really got on with the neck and the playing position (compared to a Les Paul).. So I sold it. But it was a really interesting guitar... Had a full gloss finish but more interestingly each of those P90s is coil tapped so each volume knob is a push/pull switch and the master tone is an out of phase switch..  Such a variety of sound it was pretty incredible. I bought mine from new when they first came out, seem to remember it being under £1000 back then...

This is it

WDAdIMD.jpg

Edited by Rabs

On 2/20/2022 at 6:50 AM, merciful-evans said:

I'm glad Gibson offer studio models. Sometimes its all you need.

Sometimes it can even the best option irrespective of cost. 

Sometimes and sometimes not.  But sometime the Studio is basically (like construction)  the same and sometimes it is not.  In the case of a (2016 in particular) ES-335 Studio, it is basically the same.  In the case of Firebird Studios, not so much.