Gibson Brands Forums

Kurt Cobain

Spiritinthesky

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, I wasn't saying he was the most talented guitarist to ever live. Of course opinions vary from person to person, but in mine, I certainly don't think of him as just as an exceptional guitarist. He wasn't THAT bad though. He never took away from a song with his playing. But hey, I never met the man. I may have heard all the recordings and things of that nature, but I never saw him play live. For all I know he could have secretly been a virtuoso (ha... Kurt Segovia...).

To be blunt, he is my "favorite" musician, just as Nirvana is my "favorite" band, but they certainly are not the only group I like to hear. Actually, I think the most played artist on my iPod is BB King. He's really the one that got me playing guitar.

Anyways, I just don't understand the cold-blooded criticism of his musicianship. If you don't like it, fine. But you don't have to come across like an ignorant jerk.

It's punk rock!.....You don't have to be a good player! Kelley Deal played for two weeks before joing the Breeders and recording Last Splash. The album got great reviews and went platinum. The Sex Pistols were horrible musicians' date=' but they changed the face of rock. [/quote']Well Nirvana isnt really punk rock (i probably got you wrong) but youre right about about Sex Pistols:P

Well that was dumb. Now you gotta buy a new radio.

You could have just changed the station. OR TURNED IT OFF!

Your avatar says you're in DFW.

I'm gonna take a great big leap of faith and guess that's Dallas/Fort Worth.....

Spent a lot of years in Texas, most of my family lives there.

KC was a musician, and he inspired and connected with millions of people. There will always be better musicians that will not have the "spark" it takes to do either of those things, so your perception of what qualities make up talent may be slightly off base.

It's pretty easy to sit back and judge the mortal man, but you can't deny his influence and popularity.

Oh and Neo, sorry you think Hendrix was a hack. Let me know when you can play any of his tunes note for note. It should be easy for such an obviously brilliant entertainer as yourself, or are you just a critic? You know what they say about critics, right?

Oh and Neo' date=' sorry you think Hendrix was a hack.[/quote']

Huh?

I said that?

Funny, I don't recall ever believing Hendrix was a hack, nor would I ever have voiced such an idea.

Hendrix is an icon for a reason, in his brief career he steered guitar into a whole new world.

Cobain? Well, he sold alot of albums...

Maybe you should do a little homework?

Huh?

I said that?

Funny' date=' I don't recall [i']ever[/i] believing Hendrix was a hack, nor would I ever have voiced such an idea.

Maybe you should do a little homework?

Maybe YOU should read what you post.

Exactly. Thats why I just never will understand him and what he did. Also to answer your previous response about Hendrix' date=' NO i dont like his music and NO its not because he was an addict. I dont like Hendrix's music because it is repetitive (like Cobains). If you really look into how he played, what scales he used, what modes he used, HOW he used the modes and most importantly, how his music actually sounds, then you will have a much differant view of Hendrix then that of the general public.

Seriously, TRY to listen to Hendrix's music (an album) straight through. You cant do it. You get bored of it easily. Why? Because its repetitive. The only song that sounds really differant is [u']All Along The Watchtower[/u] and the reason for this is that Bob Dylan wrote it.

By the way, comparing Hendrix to Cobain (in the way they died) is incredibly stupid. Hendrix died by choking on his own vomit while drunk. He did not commit suicide. He just got hammered, like any other night, and got bad luck and passed out on his back. Cobain shot himself purposefully through the head because he was a coward who killed himself to escape his problems.

Thats differant.

Hendrix's music was repetitive, but he was also an innovator of the guitar. Sure he grabbed some of his licks from Buddy Guy, Albert King and others, but his application of those licks was something that hadn't been done on the kind of level at which Jimi did it. I'm not as big into blues as I used to be, because of the fact that it's repetitive, but what music isn't repetitive? You can generalize all guitarists by what scales and modes they use, but that doesn't take away from the talent of the guitarist.

Maybe the outline of Hendrix's compositions weren't the most creative, but his music was a breakthrough for the time. Perhaps it could be argued that Clapton, in his Cream days, was the innovator of psychedelic blues guitar, or maybe even Page. I know the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cream were both formed at around 1966, but I don't think Page's psychedelic blues came around 'til Zeppelin in '68. I don't know, I'm not really a fan of that music anymore.

I apologize for the tangent, but I just want to make sure you aren't taking anything away from what Jimi did. Sure his stuff sounds old and repetitive to us now, but we've had the luxury of listening to 40+ years of rock music. But it was new and innovative at the time. The more we are exposed to a type of music the less meaningful it becomes when we play it, unless we do something different with it. And that's what Jimi did. And, maybe that is what Cobain did as well (I'm not too familiar with the first grunge bands).

There are 1,000s of guitarists more skilled than Hendrix today, but they aren't nearly as talented because they haven't done anything for music. I don't think people get the difference between skill and talent.

Hendrix's music was repetitive' date=' but he was also an innovator of the guitar.[/quote']

Eh, I don't even think of his music as being repetitive.

He didn't have that extensive of a catalog to start sounding like he was out of ideas or stagnating.

I don't know his full body of work that well.

I'm sure I've heard it all over the years, but I'm not as sharp with him as I would be on Led Zep, for instance.

I'm ashamed to say I do not own Hendrix's entire body of work even though I have over 1,000 LP's and CD's.

Looks like a hole in my collection that needs to be filled.

As far as Cobain goes, I have none of his music. I hear enough of it on the radio to get my fill.

Just not a fan.

I didn't really like Nirvana when they came out, and I never cared for Kurt Cobains lyrics or voice or playing, really. But he is one of the Great Amreican Poets. If he's going to be compared to a Dead guy from the 60's, I think he's closer to Jim Morrison. Both were using Rock as a vehicle for their Poetry. Jimi was pushing the boundries of the Electric Guitar.

That said, I find it hard to feel sorry for someone who Kills themselves on purpose. Someone who ODs on Heroine or Alchohol is suicide through stupitidy, and they may have smartened up if they had survided the night. That's just a shame.

Also, I've been reading this thread and I notice a lot of disdain for artists who died "Junkies", but I notice there's no mention of John Bonham, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon, or Bon Scott. Is alcohol OK to OD on? And lets not forget Elvis and his Perscription cocktail

Dynadude, I'm not trying to be disagreeable, but while playing a Hendrix tune note for note is no little feat, it's also playing a Hendrix tune wrong. He wrote his stuff, and played his songs to be expressions of the moment. He's all about the Improv and Interpretation.

I'm thinking it's because he's an idiot.

In which case' date=' he really doesn't need a gun....

Murph.[/quote']

He comes from a country where people don't need to arm themselves.

Gun-related deaths per 100,000 people (this is 1994 stat--so a little outdated):

U.S.A. 14.24

Brazil 12.95

Mexico 12.69

Estonia 12.26

Argentina 8.93

Northern Ireland 6.63

Finland 6.46

Switzerland 5.31

France 5.15

Canada 4.31

Norway 3.82

Austria 3.70

Portugal 3.20

Israel 2.91

Belgium 2.90

Australia 2.65

Slovenia 2.60

Italy 2.44

New Zealand 2.38

Denmark 2.09

Sweden 1.92

Kuwait 1.84

Greece 1.29

Germany 1.24

Hungary 1.11

Ireland 0.97

Spain 0.78

Netherlands 0.70

Scotland 0.54

England and Wales 0.41

Taiwan 0.37

Singapore 0.21

Mauritius 0.19

Hong Kong 0.14

South Korea 0.12

Japan 0.05

I kinda wish I hadn't opened this thread at all. Just in the first page, it became clear that a LOT of people have no idea about the realities of mental illness. If you've never been truly clinically depressed, you can't understand how someone can want to die. If you've never lived with someone like that, you have no idea how they can't just "be happy."

I think this is a failing of our health care system. We've stigmatized the mentally ill to the point that they either never seek help or they don't get enough. People who are depressed or bipolar tend to try to self-medicate. Some do it with food, some with alcohol, some with street drugs. But all of us are just trying to find something to make us feel better--or normal---or something. To me, suicide is not the 'cowardly' way out. It's the end result of a disease process. Depression kills just as surely as cancer or heart disease. It just kills in a different way.

I had a doctor ask me once if I'd ever thought of killing myself and my answer was simply this: I don't really want to die. I just want the pain to end. When that pain comes from your own mind...when you can't escape that.....you have *no idea* what it's like to live with that every day. People can understand physical pain. If you have a friend or family member who has a physical illness, you have some frame of reference to try to understand and have some empathy. But few of us really "get" what it's like to struggle with the kind of problems associated with a mental illness.

I honestly never like Kurt Cobain's music, but I understood how he could be the most successful guy in the world at the time and still feel completely worthless. I don't think the man was a junkie just because he thought drugs were cool. Heroin provided him some kind of relief from himself. Until you can understand the feeling of wanting to be *anyone* other than who you are, you can't really understand why anyone would wish for death.

To me' date=' the bottom line...

He was a father. He had a beautiful little girl. So the fact that took his own life and purposely left her without

a dad tells me he was a selfish loser...or was it murder? hmmmm?[/quote']

Perhaps, in his mind, he thought his daughter was better off. It doesn't excuse it, but an untreated depressive is not going to be a good parent anyway.

I kinda wish I hadn't opened this thread at all. Just in the first page' date=' it became clear that a LOT of people have no idea about the realities of mental illness. If you've never been truly clinically depressed, you can't understand how someone can want to die. If you've never lived with someone like that, you have no idea how they can't just "be happy."

[/quote']

I agree 100 %. There are a lot of self-righteous individuals in this forum who are bordering on being narcissists.

Archived