Gibson Brands Forums

unknown Gibson/rare/fake?????? please please help id it.

eapz6577

hello i have what i have been told is a Gibson Les Paul. it was bought between '71 and '75, my godparents (original owners) think it was a '69, it has some things on it that make it look like a normal custom, but it has other things that i cannot find anywhere, at all.

it has the normal mother of pearl inlays, the 21st is the same as the 19th (i was told that made a difference in era) it has what looks like open humbucker pickups. the silkscreening on the head is one of the main things confusing me, in the place of where "Gibson" should be, it had the "crown" design, it does have the split diamond in the normal place, and the truss rod cover is all black.

i have been unable to find any identification numbers at all on the guitar.

it is a little beat up from their daughters' time with it.

Snapshot_20090405-1.jpg

Snapshot_20090405_1.jpg

Snapshot_20090405_2.jpg

Snapshot_20090405_3.jpg

Snapshot_20090405_4.jpg

Snapshot_20090405.jpg

again, any, ANY help identifying this guitar would be a great help and greatly appreciated.

Alright thanks guys, i guess they got had in '71, oh well, it still works and it doesn't have the cheap pickups you would expect in a fake, so it still sounds good, its too bad it isnt real, it was bought from a bigger music store that's been around for over ninety years so they trusted them, mistake, hahaha. Thank you again everyone.

not a gift, im "protecting" it from the craziness going on at their house, otherwise there is a good chance it would get destroyed, and i noticed the weird differences and i just got curious, and i know that they would really like to know about it (since they get confused when thinking back on it, they were fairly... "herbal" in the seventies hahaha)

If you are passing something as a Gibson Les Paul and it is not that makes it a fake.

Ok fakes...are like making a les paul and putting gibson on the headstock. Copies are copying that guitar and not putting gibson name on it, puting the name of the comapny that is making that copy not a fake. You can call it a fake but its acutal a copy.

Archived