Gibson Brands Forums

4beagles

4beagles

4 minutes ago, 4beagles said:

Where are the new Gibsons? Has the factory in Bozeman ground to a halt? Hardly any new models anywhere- anybody have any info on that?

I'll give you one guess what to blame it on. 

Some of these appear to have  2022 serial numbers on them.

23 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I can live with the scarcity of Bozeman-made Gibsons.  And I can live with the seemingly inflated values of used guitars.  But the shortage of Tater Tots has really put my knickers in a twist.

Stuff is nuts. When I started drinking Scotch, 12 YO Macallan was $30 a bottle, now its like over $60.

We just need to wait out these stupid guitar prices. If no one buys them then they sit where there are. But guys gotta have the guitar with that open book headstock. I'm done for a while. I want a M-36, but don't need one, so I'll wait or not get one. Its that easy.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 hours ago, 4beagles said:

Where are the new Gibsons? Has the factory in Bozeman ground to a halt? Hardly any new models anywhere- anybody have any info on that?

'Where are the new Gibsons?"     They're on the internet.  Even before the Pandemic Lockdown,  Labor Shortages and Supply Chain issues - it was difficult finding much of a selection in any one brick and mortar location.   i assume you realize they haven't sold them at every Mom & Pop for decades. And I assume you realize that Bozeman can't compete in terms of offerings with Martin or Taylor who have larger, more automated facilities and also produce products overseas with their brand name on them.   Looks like GC has lots of J45s available - different versions.    Not sure what you're looking for.      I'm pretty sure the factory is still up & running.    Welcome !  😀

I’m not sure on the progress but besides everything Forty stated they have been building on to the Bozeman factory and had some of their product lines shut down. 
I too have noticed more new ones being available on line. I ordered a custom one 10 months ago and it’s supposed to be delivered today. The last time I ordered one at the start of the pandemic it took 6 months. Worth the wait. 

Sweetwater has 19 Gibson acoustic models in stock, none priced higher than the Slash J-45 at $3499. Mostly the lower priced entries. I've got no idea if those models are turning inventory over types of just collecting dust.

All the rest of those 86 links on Sweetwater (and similar sites) are are out of stock, notify me when.... kind of links. The higher priced models are around, but in far fewer numbers. Last time I looked, there was a single new 1957 SJ-200 CS HC (a blonde) on Reverb (Fullers) . Not that I'm ready to pull that trigger yet, I still look. 

The used prices started to dip for a few weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but shot back up by mid January. I had two places offer me a discount on a couple different brands before I changed direction and got a bow-teek amp. I think I did that in large part to the market being insane at that moment, but also because the guitar I was going to sell to fund the acoustic upgrade started to behave and sound better for me.

1 hour ago, Kwlsky said:

The new Gibson shortage has also made the used Gibson market prices climb to the level of CRAZY.

I visited a very small bricks and mortar guitar store here in Toronto last week, just for something to do.

Among the used guitars they have for sale is a 1965 j-45 with a tag that claims the instrument is in "pristine" condition, and has an selling price of $8,500.00.

I didn't bother to ask for it to be taken down from the wall, as I already have one, and wouldn't put the salesman to such trouble for nothing.

Similarly, there is another j-45 of similar vintage for sale on kijiji here in Toronto, that the sellar wishes to swap or trade, although he is willing to sell it, for $6,000.00. 

Two years ago, I got my 2001 j-45 with the repaired broken headstock for $1,200.00, and couldn't be happier with it.

Obviously, timing is everything.

RBSinTo

12 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Similarly, there is another j-45 of similar vintage for sale on kijiji here in Toronto, that the sellar wishes to swap or trade, although he is willing to sell it, for $6,000.00. 

I'll sell any guitar I own for $6000 too, and I'll include the case, cause that's the kind of guy I am. Except my 12 string as it was a gift from my wife.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'll sell any guitar I own for $6000 too, and I'll include the case, cause that's the kind of guy I am. Except my 12 string as it was a gift from my wife.

Chief,

You are obviously full of the Milk of Human Kindness, despite that everyone here here (present company excluded) thinks it's Skim.

RBSinTo

50 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Obviously, timing is everything.

Absolutely. Now's the time to enjoy what I've already spent money on, which is not very hard to do.  GAS is a funny thing where I can whip myself into a mindset of "I need to have..." when in reality that's telling me I'm not appreciating what I can pick up and play right now.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kwlsky said:

Absolutely. Now's the time to enjoy what I've already spent money on, which is not very hard to do.  GAS is a funny thing where I can whip myself into a mindset of "I need to have..." when in reality that's telling me I'm not appreciating what I can pick up and play right now.  

You only need to have a guitar if you make your living with it, the rest of us (myself included) are just bedroom rock stars.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper