Gibson Brands Forums

White 63 SG with Flyod Rose and P90s

Fuzzlord

7 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Its all subject to personal taste, all of my guitars have P90's after years Ā of using humbuckings. Having a 60's style SG with P90's and a good Trem is like having a Strat on steroids.

XB8qASj.jpg

With all the extra metal there is no way that SG neck dives.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

With all the extra metal there is no way that SG neck dives.

My white SG with the StetsBar is pretty well got neck dive under control, but with the weight of a Floyd Rose, I think it would be even better.

My SG Classic below, with the longer neck joint that moves the strap button much farther forward, has almost no neck dive even without the Trem.

77lQdwS.jpg

The biggest problem with installing a Floyd Rose in an SG would be making sure the SG has enough body thickness to install it.

Ā 

Edited by mihcmac

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

wrong colour, wrong bridge, wrong pickups & wrong lord & saviour

other than that, good luck with it.

BTW I don't know what your link is, but we've had some potentially malicious ones. Please use 3rd party image host for pics. Also identify what you are linking to for everyone's safety. Thanks.

It's just a Picture of Tony holding the Guitar in question

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Me as well, I took off about an 1/8" of my left index finger with a table saw, about 25 years ago and it works pretty good now.

That's good news, I am very glad to hear that!

How's the finger?

rct

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This LH index finger stuff is...not so uncommon.

Me too.Ā 

I slammed mine in a car door when I was....very young.Ā  My Mum picked up the end, bandaged it back on somehow and rushed me to the doctor who stitched it back on.Ā  The nail and fingertip are a different shape to all the other fingers and there are visible scars either side of the cuticle.Ā  I was very lucky.

Anyway - one time in the late 80s a mate of mine asked me to go with him when he was going to look at 2 s/h Gibson SGs, so I could advise him.Ā  We found out what was on offer was one of the natural brown 70s ones, very nice but....the other one was a genuine early 1960s white SG Special with P90s (may have been 1963) which when I picked it up, I knew was a very special guitar - incredibly resonant and responsive, even though it needed a refret.Ā  To cut a long story short...he made the guy an offer and got both!Ā  He had it refretted but eventually needed to sell, and I didn't buy it off him as I just didn't have the sort of money he got for it.Ā  I still think about that guitar and we still talk about it.Ā Ā Ā  Damn!

Edited by jdgm

On 2/25/2022 at 12:37 AM, mihcmac said:

My finger is good I hardly ever think about it, could be my imagination having it slightly shorter may have improved my playing..

You are in good company.Ā  Django and Iommi have done pretty well for themselves with some lopped off/busted up fingers.Ā  I'm sure you have compensations that all of us with all of our fingers don't have and can't do!

rct

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 9:12 AM, rct said:

You are in good company.Ā  Django and Iommi have done pretty well for themselves with some lopped off/busted up fingers.Ā  I'm sure you have compensations that all of us with all of our fingers don't have and can't do!

rct

When my index finger hit the saw blade it was shredded leaving to look like a flower top. Fortunately for me there was a hand surgeon in the emergency room when I went in, he constructed nice pad on the end of it. After 25 years it is still working good.

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

When my index finger hit the saw blade it was shredded leaving to look like a flower top. Fortunately for me there was a hand surgeon in the emergency room when I went in, he constructed nice pad on the end of it. After 25 years it is still working good.

Vintage tone finger.

rct

• Thanks 1