Gibson Brands Forums

For You Guys With Deep Pockets

Sgt. Pepper

I have reached that age where spending that kind of scratch on a guitar just seems plain silly.  Not even tempted by the 1941 or 1942 J35.  Now if we were talking about a 1936 to 1939 J35 that would be a horse of a different color.  But based on those price tags what does hit home is I could not afford the guitars I own own if I had to buy them today.  

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

I like that ‘63 J200N! I would love to hear this one! Only $12,300! How crazy is that considering a new one is$5000-$6000?

But Bozeman also does not offer a J200 that is structurally even in the same ballpark as a '63.  If they came out with something like a Legend version my guess is it would be accompanied by a pretty hefty price tag.

15 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

But Bozeman also does not offer a J200 that is structurally even in the same ballpark as a '63.  If they came out with something like a Legend version my guess is it would be accompanied by a pretty hefty price tag.

I agree. When I bought the 2010 J45 Legend the MSRP was around 9k so 12 years later for a J200 Legend would probably be north of 12k. I’m surprised the boutique builders aren’t making one. I guess there’s not a market. 

11 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Which is why I don’t the asking Price is way crazy for that caliber Guitar…. Somebody is going to get a great Guitar!

18 hours ago, Dave F said:

I agree. When I bought the 2010 J45 Legend the MSRP was around 9k so 12 years later for a J200 Legend would probably be north of 12k. I’m surprised the boutique builders aren’t making one. I guess there’s not a market. 

The only small builder I can think of who offered one was Kevin Kopp and then it was available only an an option.   While I do not believe he is currently offering it, he might build you one.   And yeah, a SJ/ J200 Legend would easily come with a five digit price tag. 

Really nothing in particular here that I need or want at any price.

As an aside, to my utter surprise they have a Washburn  R320SWRK, for sale, the same parlour guitar I bought used here in Toronto about four or five years ago. Great little twelve fret guitar, with a wide nut that is the easiest to play of any of my acoustics.

RBSinTo

2 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Why are/were the Legends so expensive?

Come on you know the answer to that even before you asked it. Because Gibson can charge that much and people will pay. Same as any maker. Taylors are expensive, Martins are expensive. Steak is expensive. Ramen used to be 10 packs for a buck. Ramen is now like 25 cents a pack. Thanks Obama. That is what I say to piss off my wife, it works.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I got my '64 bird from Norm. A rare bird with a L5 fretboard  for a reasonable price. Granted, a ugly refin but with a trade of a '86 Les Paul I actually walked out with $750 in my pocket and a free Tshirt and a copy of his book. I think he was a pretty straight shooter and call Mark a friend to this day. Still the best sounding acoustic I have ever played. Ahh, the beauty of old wood!

They don't/CAN'T make 'em like that anymore whatever the price. Old hog and spruce that doesn't exist any longer stands the test of time.

Fine caretakers of these instruments are far and few between . God bless Norm and George Gruen for keeping the dream alive.

hummingbird1.jpg

On 2/26/2022 at 2:41 AM, Holiday Hoser said:

I got my '64 bird from Norm. A rare bird with a L5 fretboard  for a reasonable price. Granted, a ugly refin but with a trade of a '86 Les Paul I actually walked out with $750 in my pocket and a free Tshirt and a copy of his book. I think he was a pretty straight shooter and call Mark a friend to this day. Still the best sounding acoustic I have ever played. Ahh, the beauty of old wood!

They don't/CAN'T make 'em like that anymore whatever the price. Old hog and spruce that doesn't exist any longer stands the test of time.

Fine caretakers of these instruments are far and few between . God bless Norm and George Gruen for keeping the dream alive.

hummingbird1.jpg

I'm not seeing the 'ugly' here.

On 2/26/2022 at 5:41 AM, Holiday Hoser said:

hummingbird1.jpg

Was that the original neck, or was it replaced do to a break, or someone wanting a different neck?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 2/26/2022 at 4:41 AM, Holiday Hoser said:

God bless Norm and George Gruen for keeping the dream alive.

Never bought from Norm, but I bought my 1933 Gibson mandolin from George Gruhn, and then they did a fret level many years later at the new location.

They'll re-fret my J-45 someday.