Gibson Brands Forums

Recording at home...who does it?

bigtim

The recording room only has crickets chirping in there. So I am gonna post this here instead. 

Anyone who records at home please chime in. 

What DAW do you use?

I use Protools 9 for the past few years. Am looking for something else.....I am not a big fan of the proprietary vst involved with protools any longer and am looking the branch out into another system. 

So does anyone use cubase artist  by chance here??

If you used to use protools previously and now use another DAW and like it better....please chime in and tell me why. ...is it more user friendly or???

Ok thanks, Tim

In the band's studio we have Pro Tools.  I use that, but only with supervision, we have a guy that is quite the expert at that stuff.

At home I use my 32 track TASCAM, all done in the box.  I get a decent sound outside the recorder, get it in, make it match what I want, record.  Not a bunch of post stuff for me.

I prefer at home, into the recorder, no computers involved.  Just works better for me.

rct

• Like 1

I’ve used Pro Tools for the past 9 years.. Recently bought a new iMac & had it loaded with Logic Pro X.. I’ve been using it & like it.

Both are Industry Standards & are great choices.. Apple has far superior Tech Support based in the USA. With English speaking Reps I can understand. No offense intended. No 45 minute wait times either!

Logic seems to have more in the way of standard Plugins.. No annual Fee like Protools if you want to stay current, have a warranty & Tech Support.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve used Pro Tools for the past 9 years.. Recently bought a new iMac & had it loaded with Logic Pro X.. I’ve been using it & like it.

Both are Industry Standards & are great choices.. Apple has far superior Tech Support based in the USA. With English speaking Reps I can understand. No offense intended. No 45 minute wait times either!

Logic seems to have more in the way of standard Plugins.. No annual Fee like Protools if you want to stay current, have a warranty & Tech Support.

Yes the plug ins are what my problem is.....cannot get a decent drum set set up for me. 

Everything that I like doesn't work on protools.

That's why I am looking at cubase currently

There is a pgm called RealBand which I got with my Band-In-A-Box. 

RealBand is a  very slick updated version of  Mastertracks Pro which I used on my Atari 1040 all those years ago.

From the late 80s to early 2000s I had a complete home studio with a Tascam 38, 24-track board, full MIDI etc but....it's all gone and I don't do any recording now at all. 

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bigtim said:

Yes the plug ins are what my problem is.....cannot get a decent drum set set up for me. 

Everything that I like doesn't work on protools.

That's why I am looking at cubase currently

I recommend looking at Logic Pro X… For a thousand reasons… Drums being one…

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 7:51 AM, ghost_of_fl said:

I'm sure I'm the oddball here - many years ago I came across an app called "Fruity Loops".  I think it was a freeware or possibly cracked software - it was a long time ago.  Years later, I found out they rebranded it as "FL Studio".  I have the Producer Edition now. 

That is the only one I have experience with but I do find it user friendly.   Here are a couple of recordings I know were definitely made using FL Studio:

Very impressive!! Great quality videos too and the audio sounds great.

I just subed to your channel. 

Here is one of mine if you would like to take a listen.

https://youtu.be/A4JIWTL6nDQ

23 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

3rd party plugins are allowed by FL Studio and I've used some great ones that were completely free.  The built in drums kits are killer too, Jazz, Rock, Funk, it's all built in and super high quality but you can of course add more.  

I have some kind of FL studio but it is a sample type of format. I really do not understand it. I cannot get a regular grid up to record like I am familiar with. 

I think it is like FL studio 2 or something. 

It is mind boggling to me and I just cannot wrap my head around it. 

35 minutes ago, bigtim said:

Thanks will look into it. Not looked at them much ever.

Recording with DAW’s has a Learning Curve for sure.. You Tube is your friend.. But, when you need Tech Support… Apple Creative Media Tech Support is the Best.. No cost. Pro Tools offshore Tech Support sucks & requires a annual fee… 

Pro Tools & Logic are the Industry Standards.. Everything else is probably ok…. Just depends on what you’re trying to achieve.. 

Edited by Larsongs

I know this is OLD  school, but has always worked for me...

(Trombone is my dad's. He played & wrote music charts in big bands during that era.) 

The analog has it's limits, or course but when you know it well, it works well for you!

xAosod3.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brytam said:

(Trombone is my dad's. He played & wrote music charts in big bands during that era.) 

The analog has it's limits, or course but when you know it well, it works well for you!

xAosod3.jpg

That reel to reel is awesome!!!!

I had one of those one time. Looks like it will do the job too!!!

I started off using Cubase AI 4.5 a long time ago (it came with some piece of Yamaha gear I bought) and have worked my way up to a Pro 11 setup now.  The learning curve was a little steep at first but there's lots of good YouTube stuff out there that helps.  It's running on a dedicated PC right now.  I'm not sure if I'll keep using it though - Steinberg has announced they're going to an annual license scheme with built in upgrades rather than the perpetual license (buy and use that version forever) they have now. 

20 hours ago, bigtim said:

That reel to reel is awesome!!!!

I had one of those one time. Looks like it will do the job too!!!

Thanks. It's a Teac A-3440 I bought back in 1980. Works great when using a DBX unit to cancel out tape noise, especially when bouncing tracks.

Getting really difficult to get reel-reel tape nowadays...$$$ 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brytam said:

xAosod3.jpg

That is dope.  If it had a half full ashtray and a couple Heinekens I'd be weeping.

rct

On 2/25/2022 at 9:46 PM, Larsongs said:

I recommend looking at Logic Pro X… For a thousand reasons… Drums being one…

What he said. Extensive samples. I play with a recording engineer, he switched to Logic after20+ years of protools.

2 hours ago, Brytam said:

Thanks. It's a Teac A-3440 I bought back in 1980. Works great when using a DBX unit to cancel out tape noise, especially when bouncing tracks.

Getting really difficult to get reel-reel tape nowadays...$$$ 

They still make it. I have saw it on eBay not long ago. 

5 hours ago, bigtim said:

They still make it. I have saw it on eBay not long ago. 

I had one of those too in the 70’s.. It may have been the 3340? Great R to R! Before that I had a 2 Track Sony R to R with SOS that could Bounce Tracks. Since then I’ve had Tascam Cassette Portastudios, 16 Track ADAT’s, Tascam 2488 Portastudio, Pro Tools & now Logic Pro X… IMO Logic Pro X is the best of all of them so far.. 

On 2/27/2022 at 4:26 PM, rct said:

That is dope.  If it had a half full ashtray and a couple Heinekens I'd be weeping.

rct

🙂  My dad was a great musician.

As a kid, I would sit next to him on an old Kimball upright piano we had as he would hand write scores out for each of the members of the big band he was in.

He would think & play out the parts on the piano & then write down the notes on a score in pencil.

I can read music & have taken some music theory but looking back, that was amazing he could pretty much do all those parts in his head & put them on paper for the band to play as a whole.

His trombone  is a cool memento to me, since he passed back in 2003.