Gibson Brands Forums

Couldn't Resist

duane v

16 hours ago, cookieman15061 said:

Email_Ecomm_0215_Week7_US_NPI_ArtistSignEmail_Ecomm_0215_Week7_US_NPI_ArtistSignFender is making another 1000 of em.  Going for around $2800 i believe.

How much did one of the ones in the first run cost? I saw one in GC in North Myrtle. It was nice I made some sounds on it then went to the acoustic room.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 hours ago, duane v said:

You sound presumptuous.... They have been selling these kits for years and are a reputable business. 

If it bothers you that much feel free to call them about your objections about design and licensing. End of discussion

Doesn't Gibson sue copiers who use their 'open book' headstock profile?   Martin's is sort of squarish, maybe not seen as an actual protectable design.  Fender might fit into that category for six on one side tuner headstocks.   I've always wanted to try out making something like that - but given my skill level, would have to start with a ukulele.  G'Luck. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Doesn't Gibson sue copiers who use their 'open book' headstock profile?   Martin's is sort of squarish, maybe not seen as an actual protectable design.  Fender might fit into that category for six on one side tuner headstocks.   I've always wanted to try out making something like that - but given my skill level, would have to start with a ukulele.  G'Luck. 

Fender like all makers want to make a buck. Fender licenses its shapes necks and lets other make them, and why not they get cash and the maker gets cash, its a win - win for Fender. Ala Warmoth. I read what Warmoth, as a company has to do the keep making the  Fender shaped guitars and necks. They have a license with Fender. Fender at certain times of the year will come in, and at random grab (I can't remember the number) some bodies and necks and take them back for evaluation. If they are not up the Fenders snuff, they loose their license. And so they can't make them and don't get the profit. It think Fender sells the license to Warmoth, probably renewed every year and not on how many guitars or necks they sell. I would rather have an all Warmoth guitar than Fender. Their stuff is that good or better. Yeah I get the resale value wont be what a Fender is.

40 year building a Fender style guitar is easy. If you can solder and put screws in wood, you can do it. I did it several times and I'm a dumb electrician.

51 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Remember that the "six on one side" headstock design wasn't a Fender exclusive.  So maybe the issue must be the copying of other neck aspects.  But certainly, not headstock design...

check out---

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-5119207

Whitefang

8 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Remember that the "six on one side" headstock design wasn't a Fender exclusive.  So maybe the issue must be the copying of other neck aspects.  But certainly, not headstock design...

check out---

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-5119207

Whitefang

I threw up in my mouth a little after seeing that.

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I threw up in my mouth a little after seeing that.

Can't figure that out.  But you can see Travis himself playing one of his signature Bigsby/Martins in the movie "FROM HERE TO ETERNITY"  

And I was implying that the Fender headstock seems nothing more than a slight modification of the Bigsby design,  so if Fender didn't get any hassle over it, I can't see why any other maker(and they have) can't use that design either wirthout shelling out bucks Fender probably doesn't deserve.  To whit:

Whitefang

21 hours ago, cookieman15061 said:

Email_Ecomm_0215_Week7_US_NPI_ArtistSignEmail_Ecomm_0215_Week7_US_NPI_ArtistSignFender is making another 1000 of em.  Going for around $2800 i believe.

That was pointed out to me by my wife, and the price is good but I didn’t want a chambered body and I wanted a different species of rosewood…. And I’m still saving about $500-$700.

but I agree a great buy. 

2 minutes ago, duane v said:

That was pointed out to me by my wife, and the price is good but I didn’t want a chambered body and I wanted a different species of rosewood…. And I’m still saving about $500-$700.

but I agree a great buy. 

Didn't you do a Rocky Strat too, or is that someone else I'm thinking of?

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Fender like all makers want to make a buck. Fender licenses its shapes necks and lets other make them, and why not they get cash and the maker gets cash, its a win - win for Fender. Ala Warmoth. I read what Warmoth, as a company has to do the keep making the  Fender shaped guitars and necks. They have a license with Fender. Fender at certain times of the year will come in, and at random grab (I can't remember the number) some bodies and necks and take them back for evaluation. If they are not up the Fenders snuff, they loose their license. And so they can't make them and don't get the profit. It think Fender sells the license to Warmoth, probably renewed every year and not on how many guitars or necks they sell. I would rather have an all Warmoth guitar than Fender. Their stuff is that good or better. Yeah I get the resale value wont be what a Fender is.

40 year building a Fender style guitar is easy. If you can solder and put screws in wood, you can do it. I did it several times and I'm a dumb electrician.

You should visit the Fedner Faktorrie.  I was high for days after that.  Still am, it was 9 years ago and I can't wait to go back some day if they do tours again.  I wouldn't use a copy before then, I wouldn't be caught dead with one since then.  Same goes for a very private 27 hours at CFMartin, 20...2 or 3 years ago, followed by some beers with CFM IV.  Never made it to Gibson, never will.

rct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rct said:

You should visit the Fedner Faktorrie.  I was high for days after that.  Still am, it was 9 years ago and I can't wait to go back some day if they do tours again.  I wouldn't use a copy before then, I wouldn't be caught dead with one since then.  Same goes for a very private 27 hours at CFMartin, 20...2 or 3 years ago, followed by some beers with CFM IV.  Never made it to Gibson, never will.

rct

I was in Memphis when I traveled for the USCG and walked past the big store they had by Beale St. I had other things to do like look at hot chicks, hear music, and eat some Q.

Went to the Kings house. I could live there. It’s like his song “In The Ghetto”.  One or two blocks away and you better be packin.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

That one started off with a Squier Strat and IMO it came out ridiculously good.  I compared it to photos of the original Rocky and the attention to detail was spot on.   Didn't mean to pee in your Cheerios about this one Duane, sorry about that.  

This threads primary purpose is to show off tele build and hopefully at the end it can provide information for someone that wants to do a similar build. I don’t want this thread turn into an echo chamber for grievance. No need to apologize. And thank you for the compliment on Rocky….. that was truly a labor of love for me considering I have never painted a guitar 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, duane v said:

This threads primary purpose is to show off tele build and hopefully at the end it can provide information for someone that wants to do a similar build. I don’t want this thread turn into an echo chamber for grievance. No need to apologize. And thank you for the compliment on Rocky….. that was truly a labor of love for me considering I have never painted a guitar 

I started it, 2 weeks in the time out chair for me.