Gibson Brands Forums

gibson les paul vintage mahogney

tom brown

hello ,

This guitar is very under-rated, i bought one two years ago and many complain about the frets and finish and other problems, but, if you only have about a 1000 to spend, (mine was actually 799.00), this is the best value i feel that gibson has to offer in this price range..It will go on sale so be patient.

The good news first, this guitar has burstbucker pro 1 and 2 ,s on it, and in addition all the electronics are exactly the same as the les paul standard. the bridge is the standard, however it does have the vintage style tuners, which many compalin about. Ok, they are not the best, but they work fine and many tuning issues with these guitars are more related to heat, humidity, and neck movement i feel.

So, do the math, the pickups are 160, the electronics maybe 100, the bridge 40, up to 300, now the case you get with this guitar is 120 and a great case, up to 420, the tuners about 40 up to 460 in hardware..point is, the parts maybe greater then the sum, but now you have to work with the guitar and set it up. this does not have the fatted frets but they are fine,, and you have to change the strap buttons..

You can not go wrong with this guitar, especially if you have that deep lust for gibson brown sound. You can not go wrong with this guitar for the price...yes i had it set up, frets filed,and a few ajustments, but the sound from this guitar is unreal. For instance, because of the routed out body ( like the black beauty) it rings unplugged so sweet i play it with no amp and am amazed. Now, i play alot of acoustics, and if you play this in the right room with no amp you will be impressed. To me it sounds better then many acoustics because no tinny sounds at all.

Now plug it it holy smoke you can shake the house with this guitar with no muddy sound at all.

When i got mine back after being set up, the man ajusted the pickups to be more "balanced" and they sounded so very smooth and classic. I noticed at higher volumes i did get feedback, so i shielded the pickup caviety and volume- tone caviety with foil tape, total cost 5.99 and a hour of labor. Then i slowly began to ajust the pickups until i got the absolute max power from these pups, many times going back and forth a quarter turn of the screw. When i hit the max power point plugged into a line 6 thirty watt amp, this guitar rocks..At three volume i can break a window no bull, lol.

Line 6 in clean mode makes this guitar sing, such classic sounds come from it easily can do studio work, many of my friends say. LIne 6 i know also gets a bad rap sometimes, because many don't read the manual. For instance, you can bypass all pre set sounds when you start the amp, add turbo boost, set the sounds with the controls as you want, then Save all these settings..

Now plugged into a boss distortion box, and dunlop wah wah, i can get some really great sounds from this guitar.Really classic sounds, or new sounds depending how i tweak. Recently i have scaled back the pickups and now i have a new strong, but maybe a bit more classic gibson sound.

Finally, I wanted to say again this is the most under-rated guitar on the market, and yes if i had the money I would get 1959 les paul reissue, love that guitar, but because i am unable to do that i bought this guitar, but i really didn't settle , it sounds great..

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply

I agree with you, they're great and also great for the money. I've often thought about buying one for myself but always come to the conclusion that it's $1,000 I can put towards another reissue and given the guitars I already own, the VM would just sit there collecting dust.

I wouldn't say they're underrated. It's just that they're inexpensive because they don't have the typical Gibson finish or appointments you find in more expensive guitars. For that reason, I'm sure a lot of guys (older guys) overlook them. By the way, do they come with a hard case?

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply

This is my favorite part of your post.

yes it comes with a great case...the thing about the reissues is that if you bang it around by accident you loose so much value if your ever gonna resale, the the mahogney is a good player and i see them for 700 used, the brown ones actually look real nice...if i was making money, maybe even a better player i'd save every penny for a reissue.

Tom, I have an '08 Cherry that I love. I have a young kid so I play it unplugged when he is asleep and I'm always amazed at just how loud and full it is acoustically.

I don't know about the electronics of 2 years ago but mine had the printed circuit board and the tiny ceramic disc caps in it. I just ripped that all out and re-wired it 50's style with a RS Guitarworks Vintage Kit. I've only had about a half hour with it plugged in but man it sure sounds sweet now. Well worth the additional investment in my opinion.

In short: nothing beats a good old les paul vintage mahogany through a Line6 amp with a boss dist box!!!

Guess Are Nine would have found this piece of knowledge usefull before spending all that money on reissues and a silver full stack...

Just kidding... of course the VM sounds great, in my opinion most gibsons sound great, it doesn't matter what amp you play them through... or if you can play at all... just plug one, strum it and listen to the greatest sound on earth.

What I don't get is... you say your guitar will be for sale soon? Why?

Guess Are Nine would have found this piece of knowledge usefull before spending all that money on reissues and a silver full stack...

Actually, I'da still spent all that money on reissues and a silver full stack.

So, if you think about it...I'm actually saving money by not buying a VM...

You guys aren't getting uppity over the price of gear are you?.....

Depends on if you're talking about players or collectors. I find, generally speaking, those who do not play as well put more emphasis on the price they pay for their gear. Not always, but generally speaking.

I wouldn't worry about what other people say so long as you're happy w/your rig. Since you are the one playing it, your opinion is really the only one that matters.

no not for sale but they go on sale a gc sometimes...

no this one did not have the printed circuit board just regular controls

You guys aren't getting uppity over the price of gear are you?.....

I don't think so... in fact the VM is now a more expensive guitar than other gibson models if you take on account what it gives you vs what the others give you and what it used to cost (the nice, correct, and fair price) vs what the others used to cost.

VM used to go for 699 including case... you just cant beat that (and fender couldnt either!)

Now some stores have them at 1000! It's just ridiq-lous!

The VM is a great guitar anyway but right now they are a bit pricey, if you get 200 more you can get a finished studio...

I don't think so... in fact the VM is now a more expensive guitar than other gibson models if you take on account what it gives you vs what the others give you and what it used to cost (the nice' date=' correct, and fair price) vs what the others used to cost.

VM used to go for 699 including case... you just cant beat that (and fender couldnt either!)

Now some stores have them at 1000! It's just ridiq-lous!

The VM is a great guitar anyway but right now they are a bit pricey, if you get 200 more you can get a finished studio...

[/quote']

I prefer the looks of the VM to the Studio. The Studio to me is like a great looking woman in a cheap dress ... where you can't help but think "Gosh, she's very pretty, but something is missing here...". I know Studio owners bash on the price increases in comparison to costlier models as nothing more than window dressing, but if I'm picking a guitar, like a woman, for life, then you can rest assured I'll pick the one that won't cause me to have a wandering eye, so to speak.

Anyway, yes, the VM ... lovely guitars.

I like the studios but the 490 's don;t seem to have the punch of the burstbucker, and the finish on the vm lets it resonate(spelling) a little better, seems i can get some nice acostic like tones playing with the volume..

anyway, fyi, i just tried a fender squire classic vibe 60 guitar against a 1962 strat repro, i gotta say real close as far as sound and the finish was perfect... and a few people there mouths dropped.....349.00

not that i would go to the other side, but wanted to try one. lol[-x

I have had my VM since 2005 and I love it, it is resonant, woody and the Burstbuckers Pro are great. I do wish it had some sort of finish but I do not know what that would be.

This is the guitar that made playing enjoyable for me when I satrted playing, I stuck with it because of this guitar so probably I will never sell it. I really want a Standard but I know that the difference will be in the cosmetics mainly so I am trying to be less superficial and investing on a good amplifier instead.

One day I would like to refinish my VM on a real Copper Leaf top and add a painted binding of some sort. I think the Copper would go well with the Worn Brown.

Also when it gets a little hotter outside I am planning to give my LP the sun treatment.

stiff i agree paint does not make a guitar sound great, i read that the overall lenth of a gibson is what gives it that special tone..there is something you can rub on the vm i have to look it up though.

i wish they would make a VM with no strain and a couple sprays of clear coat, do they make any natural finish les pauls or sg's.?

Another VM convert huh? jeez what do they put in the Kool-aid for the VM? It's a nice guitar understood, hell I bought one last year at GC when they were on sale for 599.00 and it's worth every penny but bottom line it's still a moderately ugly studio without a finish! I bought the guitar for my niece who is in college but the dorm really frowns on electric guitars for shared rooms so she took and acoustic instead so it's sitting in a case and has been for almost a year. Like I said nice guitar nothing wrong with it but Ive never seen so many raving posts about a basic entry model anything before. what is it about the VM that makes the owner so impressed they rave about them???

I'm going to go look at the corvette site and see if the same number of people are posting glowing reports on the chevette or cavalier

The true function of a les paul is the length, 24.75, rather then it thickness i believe. My VM when made had the top cut off, then routed out the chamber and cavieties, then was glued back together, some other were made in three pieces..This weight relief may contribute to the bell like sound quality, and the acoustic qualities.. The harmontics just pop right off the guitar, all i have to do is look at it. plays itself...lol

The finish is hand rubbed, and that allows the guitar to breathe and resonate, and its light for people with back or other playing isssues. Simply put, paint and decorations have no effect on guitar sound, except for possbly negative..

To try to answer retro, this guitar has a great range of different sounds. I can put it scream, oink, cry like a baby with a wah wah, get honky vintage sounds, or dark vintage les paul sounds with long substains...And i can get some boooming bass from this, great midrange, and excellent treble (to much at times). I am actually considering putting a stellar tone knob in, but may wait to try on another, this one is just right....oh, also note i played a 20 different ones over the course of a year, then choose one that had sharp frets because of overall sound and feel.

retro, string that baby up and give it a fair shake and let us know what you think..10's work great on these.

heres a ad from a deal that tells more on it....peace

The Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany brings together old and new Les Paul features to create a unique and special guitar. The round warmth of a carved mahogany top on a mahogany back first debuted in the famous 1957 Custom Black Beauty. Now Gibson brings this fabulous wood combo back with the added vintage edge of Gibson's Alnico V BurstBucker Pro humbuckers. Designed especially for the new Gibson Les Paul Standards, these pickups provide pure tone lovers with stunning humbucking tone on their electric guitars. A '59 rounded Les Paul mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard and trapezoid inlays is fast yet substantial

Archived