Gibson Brands Forums

Mack The Knife

DanvillRob

1 hour ago, BoSoxBiker said:

It's definitely in my top-x old standards favorites list. Hard to believe it's the same guy as "Splish Splash, I Was Taking a Bath" or whatever that song was called.

Best version I had ever heard was some local DJ on a Pop Rock station back in '87-'89 in the DC area. He channeled some sort of Sinatra meets Darin voice that just plain worked. People used to request it despite the station's format. Great songs transcend genre, right? 

I agree with 40yearspickn on the chords usage. Dang! Mine is a 4-chord disaster.

I always like the song....but never envisioned my playing it.... you can do this song using just using 4-5 chords if you don't change keys, but the chord changes really add to the song.   As you might imagine, they're the same chords just a half-step up the neck each verse...so it's not as difficult as you might imagine.

Just now, Murph said:

Having the same scale length as my J-45 (which I've had nearly 20 years) and my J-15 is handy, as well.

Of my acoustics, I have 3 with long-scale necks and 3 with short scale necks....and while I LOVE my Doves, I've come to appreciate the short scale necks on the 'Birds.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

Excellent job and, yeah, there are probably more chords in that song than I play in a year. You hit them masterfully.

It isn’t everyday we see a song by Bertolt Brecht here….

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Here's the chart I used:

May be an image of text
May be an image of text

Edited by DanvillRob

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Of my acoustics, I have 3 with long-scale necks and 3 with short scale necks....and while I LOVE my Doves, I've come to appreciate the short scale necks on the 'Birds.

I have played Gibson electrics for so many decades, bar gigger, that it's just natural to me. I did play a Strat for a few years with my SG, and I also still own a mighty fine Tele I never play, but it's the Gibsons that have a place in my heart.

27 minutes ago, Murph said:

I have played Gibson electrics for so many decades, bar gigger, that it's just natural to me. I did play a Strat for a few years with my SG, and I also still own a mighty fine Tele I never play, but it's the Gibsons that have a place in my heart.

Guess it was just how I was raised...but always felt Acoustics should be Gibsons and Electrics should be Fenders.

20 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I always like the song....but never envisioned my playing it.... you can do this song using just using 4-5 chords if you don't change keys, but the chord changes really add to the song.   As you might imagine, they're the same chords just a half-step up the neck each verse...so it's not as difficult as you might imagine.

The heavy barre chords kill my Arthritis. That's pretty much kept me from doing a couple more classic key change songs like "On Broadway" and "I Walk the Line'".  Sadly, that's with easy playing guitars.

2 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

The heavy barre chords kill my Arthritis. That's pretty much kept me from doing a couple more classic key change songs like "On Broadway" and "I Walk the Line'".  Sadly, that's with easy playing guitars.

I have the same issue..... there are MANY chords I can no longer make....but I've learned how to adapt......I change keys of songs when possible to accommodate my voice and arthritis.....this gettin' old ain't for sissies!

21 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I have the same issue..... there are MANY chords I can no longer make....but I've learned how to adapt......I change keys of songs when possible to accommodate my voice and arthritis.....this gettin' old ain't for sissies!

Ain't that the truth. Reminds me of the Dangerfield line from Back to School - "I'm looking for the Fountain of Middle age."

3 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Ain't that the truth. Reminds me of the Dangerfield line from Back to School - "I'm looking for the Fountain of Middle age."

I recall my great uncle saying when he was in his 90's.... "So many women!    Oh, to be 65 again!"

On 3/1/2022 at 6:49 AM, Murph said:

Having the same scale length as my J-45 (which I've had nearly 20 years) and my J-15 is handy, as well.

Murph,  I've had my Jubilee since about 1972 or so, (50 years!).

My lovely wife bought me the Dove when we were first married, probably 1980  or so).

i bought the Doves In Flight in 2010.

I bought the Hummingbird Custom Koa brand new in 2011.

I bought Lesley's Hummingbird 12-String in about 2016.

My staff bought me the J-50 as a Retirement Gift in 2020.

The J-50 is now my 'work horse'... play it every day....I keep in on the couch in the family room at night....

wife doesn't mine as long as I play it every day, (during the day it's in a stand next to me at the kitchen table).