Gibson Brands Forums

1988 Gibson ES-335 Dot, is smell normal when opening case?

Rikryder

I recently came into a 1988 Gibson ES-335 DOT. It came from the estate of my son's friends grandfather and to my knowledge the owner was never a smoker. I noted the smell when I opened the case, and as a former smoker did not associate this smell with cigarette smoke. As a woodworker I'm thinking it could be maple, especially if it has been cooped up for awhile.

I have read a few reviews of this guitar online and have noted that some of the reviewers mentioned a strong wood or maple smell from the guitar. Has anyone else had this experience?

I appreciate all input.

Thanks-Rick

Probably a combination of the (unfinished) wood, inside the guitar, and the outgassing of the Nitro finish.

Not uncommon. The strength of the oder should diminish over time...especially if you leave the case open

for some time. If it's been closed for a long time (years), and/or stored in a basement, etc., then check for

mold/mildew, especially in the corner areas, of the case.

Step1Pour one part of bleach into nine parts of water in a bowl or bucket. Use a rag to wipe the solution on the spots that contain the mold. You may want to check a small spot first to see if it changes the color of the fabric. Lay the guitar case in the sun until it dries.

Step2Take out a few Lysol disinfecting wipes and soak the areas that have the mold by wiping back and forth. This shouldn't change the color of the fabric, but you may want to test a small area first. Place the guitar case in the sunlight until it dries.

Step3Use a germicidal UV light to kill the mold. This can be as expensive as replacing the guitar case unless you know someone that has the light you can borrow. These are sold at stores such as Sam's Club for about $175 (see resources).

Step4Vacuum out your guitar case to keep the mold from returning. The vacuuming will remove any food particles that have gotten in there.

Step5Place a packet of coffee grinds in your guitar case and leave it there overnight. This will eliminate any left over odors from the mold.

Cheers,

CB

Thanks for the info. There is no mold or mildew, but the guitar came from my son's friends grandfather's estate. It has been four years plus (that the case has been closed) since his passing and I have been informed that it may very well have spent most of it's 21 years in there.

I have recently sold the guitar and the buyer is telling me that he believes that it is from cigarette smoke. I'm trying to get some background on this to see if he is willing to accept the possibility that this could be the issue.

I'm amazed that I can smell the nitro on my '07 ES-339 in a smoking bar, in the second set, while playing. Last night.

No sh!t.

I quit smoking WELL over a year ago, but the guitar also smells like cigarettes because it gigs smoking bars in Ky. So does my shirt, my gig bag, my mic cable, and my Mesa Boogie.

I don't mind.

I can also smell other things, but I don't dwell on them.....

Murph.

I'm amazed that I can smell the nitro on my '07 ES-339 in a smoking bar' date=' in the second set, while playing. Last night.

Murph.[/quote']

Seriously though, when I bought my 335, it had come from Gibson USA to Gibson Australia, and then straight to my local dealer. They knew it was coming, and knew I was interested in it, so when she arrived, they didnt put her out in the shop, but kept her in the back office for me.

When they cracked the case, there was this rich, sweet, intoxicating aroma. I loved that smell so much that for the first few weeks I put her back in her case everytime after playing, but now she spends some time out. Given I dont gig in smoky bars (in fact, I only gig in my study or lounge room!!) when I want her to take on that sweet smell, I just put her back in her case for a day or to, and as you say Murph, it's amazing how much of that smell stays around.

If you ask me, Gibson should bottle it and sell it!

Seriously though' date=' when I bought my 335, it had come from Gibson USA to Gibson Australia, and then straight to my local dealer. They knew it was coming, and knew I was interested in it, so when she arrived, they didnt put her out in the shop, but kept her in the back office for me.

When they cracked the case, there was this rich, sweet, intoxicating aroma.

If you ask me, Gibson should bottle it and sell it!

[/quote']

No need -- buy some hide glue and some lacquer and snort away at your leisure.

Archived