Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio?

Silenced Fred

Hi, I'm new to the forum and currently don't own a Gibson but am hoping to.

I'm saving up my money to buy a Les Paul Studio and have a few questions:

I was looking at the Faded Cherry finish and am wondering if it has different sounds than that of the Heritage Cherry finish.

If there is a difference, what is it and what are the different sounds?

I have been to Guitar Centers and played them but haven't noticed a difference, but I am fairly new to playing guitars and have been playing for just over a year. Any feedback is welcome Thanks

I have been to Guitar Centers and played them but haven't noticed a differences

That's all that really matters. Let your ears guide you.

The Studio you're looking at (Vintage Mahogany) is similar to the Standard in the sense that they're both chambered and both have Burstbucker Pro pickups.

Why not cough up the extra thousand and get a Traditional or Standard?

I was once thinking about getting a Studio but when i saw how much it caused with Tax "I thought to my self it is not as cheap as it is made out to be and i can just spend around 600 more and get a Traditional" best idea i ever had.

I am pretty sure if you can work up to a thousand you can work up to another thousand and get a Gibson Traditional or Standard.

thanks for the feedback

My main concern was that there would be differences between the two studios due to sound quality if any with the finish because at the one i went to, one of the employees said that there would be, which struck me as odd because neither me nor my friend could tell any difference.

What are the main differences (soundwise) between the studio and the traditional or a standard? This is just for me, and if the main difference is the binding and cosmetic stuff than i don't really care

The difference is the cosmetic's. thats what you pay for the cosmetic's. the biggest thing is the sound and how it feels to you. if you are a player then it needs to fit you, you aree the one that is playing it.

I have a les paul XR III made in 1982, it like a studio, it fits me and has the tone I want.

So all in all get what you like, GOOD LUCK THERE

Picture041.jpg

I'm on a limited budget myself so I bought a studio and an SG classic for $2100 total. They sound different enough but feel almost the same. They both intonate properly and have good action. Do some research so you will know what to look for in terms of faults. The store you buy it from may not set them up very well so it is a good idea to know as much as possible about the guitar you end up buying.

Good luck...

You guys helped confirm what I was thinking; that it was all cosmetics

It is mainly just going to stay in my room and maybe jam with some friends but given my current skill level, which is decent, I can't justify over 2 grand for the Standard or Traditional especially if its just for the cosmetics. Also, the only place around me is Guitar Center which carries Gibson. Would it be better to buy from them or to order it from MusiciansFriend.com? Thanks again for helping me out

It's a bit of a trade-off... With Guitar Center, you're sure of what you're getting because you can see it before you put down the bucks to get it. That isn't always a good thing, though... Most of the guitars there, and Gibsons aren't an exception to this, are in absolutely cruddy condition. I feel like driving to the nearest pharmacy to buy bottles of hand sanitizer after going to Guitar Center...

I say you buy from Musician's Friend. If you don't like the guitar you get (let's be honest, there will ALWAYS be a lemon somewhere), just send it back and they'll keep sending you more and more until you get the one you want... You have 45 days to decide. I got my Gibson Les Paul Studio from them, and it's perfect... I don't care what people are saying about Gibson's quality control these days, mine's perfect on the first try. Beautifully laquered and it has a perfect cherry sunburst... There will never be anything more beautiful to my eyes. Best $1320 I've spent. Your mileage may very, though...

Guitar Center and Musician's Friend are owned by the same company. They have one call center for each. when I ordered my SG Classic last fall from Guitar Center, A Musicians Friend rep called me to confirm my order. So I talked to him about it and it is really the same company. For some reason they have different shipping tiers and a few other things so I guess they are not fully integrated (maybe because they want to bee seen as two different companies?).

I think ordering a guitar through the mail makes sense if that's your only option. Otherwise, I can't imagine not wanting to play the guitar you're spending that much money on first. Believe me, LP's will vary from guitar to guitar. If you have the opportunity to try them first, do so.

Exactly. Chances are the ones in Guitar Center are going to be crap' date=' but if you find a rare gem in there then by all means go for it. I'm just saying that you're going to get a new one from Musician's Friend. [/quote']

It has very little, if anything, to do with where it comes from. It sounds to me like you are making your decision on what makes a great LP based on appearance, whereas many others (myself included) make the decision based on tone and feel of the instrument. Just because a website sends you a shiny new guitar does not mean you in fact have a good, let alone great guitar on your hands. The only way to determine whether or not you have a great player is by actually playing it.

Bottom line, if your focus is having a shiny new guitar, I'm sure Musicians Friend would be a great choice (of course you also have to rely on them picking one out for you that you like...which is again taking an unnecessary chance). If on the other hand you care about not only looks, but more importantly the tone and feel, then I'd recommend buying it in person.

It's your cash, man ... spend it wisely.

It has very little' date=' if anything, to do with where it comes from. It sounds to me like you are making your decision on what makes a great LP based on appearance, whereas many others (myself included) make the decision based on tone and feel of the instrument. Just because a website sends you a shiny new guitar does not mean you in fact have a good, let alone great guitar on your hands. The only way to determine whether or not you have a great player is by actually playing it.

Bottom line, if your focus is having a shiny new guitar, I'm sure Musicians Friend would be a great choice (of course you also have to rely on them picking one out for you that you like...which is again taking an unnecessary chance). If on the other hand you care about not only looks, but more importantly the tone and feel, then I'd recommend buying it in person.

It's your cash, man ... spend it wisely. [/quote']

I have never ordered online but lately i have been leaning towards it.

You also got to worry about some ****** UPS guy throwing your Guitar around.

Archived