Gibson Brands Forums

I need some advice on this Gibson *Updated Pics*

greg5942

I have had this guitar in my storage room.It was given to my wife from her mother, I guess it used to be her fathers but he left it there when they went through a divorce which was about 25-28 years ago.I was gonna have it cleaned and tuned -up and have some new strings put on it so my kid could play with it.The people at the local guitar shop said to have all the stuff I wanted to do it it done and put it under my bed.They kept asking me if i wanted to sell it.I am not guitar savy one bit. I do know it needs a cleaning and it will shine I have already done the back of it with a gibson guitar cleaning cream. i am going to try to insert some pics the front has some dried up dust on it which I know will come off.Another thing i know is that the neck joins the body at the 19th fret"forgive me if I used the wrong name of the parts of the guitar"SO if anybody could help me out on the actuall year of the guitar and value I would appreciate it. Gibson electric guitar, cherry finish,serial# 828136.In the last pic there looks like a yellow spot on the left side of the guitar it is not there it is from the flash of the camera.I took pics of the serial #kinda hard to read but you read perfectly in person.Acorrding to the gibson website with the serial i have it seems to be manufactured in either 1966 or 1969.

Picture052.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture053.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Picture057.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture064.jpg

Picture060.jpg

O.O

I wish I found that under my bed!

Damn, dude. I'm with the music shop guys-hang on to that and by all means do not give it to kids to play [with]!

I knew a guy who bought I believe it was a 1963 or 1965 perfect ES-335 with Varitone (so that would make it a ES-345?) along with original papers, receipt, etc. He owned a music shop here in Ohio, I'm sure I can find out which one again, that was a vintage gear haven. He paid $35,000 for that guitar a couple years back.

That's all I'm gonna say. Find a classy music shop, probably a vintage repair shop, and have it setup and appraised.

I have had this guitar in my storage room.It was given to my wife from her mother' date=' I guess it used to be her fathers but he left it there when they went through a divorce which was about 25-28 years ago.I was gonna have it cleaned and tuned -up and have some new strings put on it so my kid could play with it.The people at the local guitar shop said to have all the stuff I wanted to do it it done and put it under my bed.They kept asking me if i wanted to sell it.I am not guitar savy one bit. I do know it needs a cleaning and it will shine I have already done the back of it with a gibson guitar cleaning cream. i am going to try to insert some pics the front has some dried up dust on it which I know will come off.Another thing i know is that the neck joins the body at the 19th fret"forgive me if I used the wrong name of the parts of the guitar"SO if anybody could help me out on the actuall year of the guitar and value I would appreciate it. Gibson electric guitar, cherry finish,serial# 828136.In the last pic there looks like a yellow spot on the left side of the guitar it is not there it is from the flash of the camera.I took pics of the serial #kinda hard to read but you read perfectly in person.Acorrding to the gibson website with the serial i have it seems to be manufactured in either 1966 or 1969.[/quote']

Greg, what you have there is an ES-330TD model. The "T" stands for "thin" (thin body), and the "D" stands for "double" (2 pickups). They are "single coil" pickups, as opposed to "humbucking pickups", which were stock on the semi-hollow sister models (ES335, 345, and 355). My initial impression is that yours is more likely a 1969 than a '66, but that won't make a tremendous difference in the value anyway. One of the most knowledgeable and reputable vintage guitar dealers in the country, George Gruhn in Nashville, TN, currently has a '67 example in average condition, with a price of $3,000. The value on these and most every vintage Gibson model is going nowhere but up, in my opinion. Take good care of it, make sure you deal with a reputable shop, and have it cleaned and properly set up. If you keep it in the family, I'm sure it will be treasured and enjoyed for many, many years.

Here's a link to George Gruhn's website (click in "inventory", and then "Gibson Hollowbody Electrics" to see the very similar 330 I referred to. Gruhn Guitars

It's all cleaned up and has be restrung.Let me know what you guys think.

I think it's a beauty. Those are great guitars- seriously. I had a 1960 model many years ago' date=' and I have an older brother who has cherished his for 30+ years. They're lightweight, versatile, and those pickups are pretty hard to beat. Have fun with that. [img']http://forums.gibson.com/images/emoticons/eusa_dance.gif[/img]

Archived