Gibson Brands Forums

SJ-200 CUSTOM SHOP QUILTED MAPLE 2008

marcdjan

Hi Guys ,

I just bought a 2008 Custom Shop Quilted Maple SJ -200 ( Incredible Guitar ) -

Can someone tell me :

Is those custom shop Guitars come the regular SJ-200 Cases ?

My came with , and the Case seems very cheap for a so awesome Guitar -

The basics Gibson cases look Cheap anyway - I really believe Gibson Montana need to improve them

md

J-45 Custom Shop TV

SJ-200 Custom Shop

Marcdjan

Welcome to the forum.

I purchase a 2008 Gibson Montana Gold few months ago, which is in the upper mid price range for a custom J200 and it came with the regular Gibson case. I share your comments about being an incredible guitar and would have liked to see a more rugged deluxe case - perhaps even a more durable hard shell. However, I understand from a manufacture's point of view that this would add additional cost to a purchase and "may" with some be the deal breaker. To purchase a regular Gibson Acoustic Guitar case in USA is about $159

Suspect at some time I will retire the original case and find a good durable one to protect the guitar better. I have done some cursory searches for a better case and still looking.

Fred

Welcome to the forum and congratulations for the guitar.

Post some pictures, plese so we can see allso this beauty.

What was the first song you played on?

BTW I have a SJ 200 Custom and since soon and first time I saw the hardshell case I was a bit desappointed of the look. Really looks a little cheep... From the outside.

Can someone tell me :

Is those custom shop Guitars come the regular SJ-200 Cases ?

My came with ' date=' and the Case seems very cheap for a so awesome Guitar -

The basics Gibson cases look Cheap anyway - I really believe Gibson Montana need to improve them [/quote']

Welcome to the Forum!!

I have to say, I disagree. The basic case is indeed pretty basic, but it provides enough protection for most people. Including a really good case would increase the price of the guitar by almost as much as the price of the case. Most people would rather have the money than a better case, and most of the rest would want to replace the better case by something better still, such as a good flight case. So. overall, I think it makes more sense to ship the guitar in a relatively inexpensive case that provides good enough protection, and to let people buy whatever case they want or need if they think the basic case isn't good enough. (Although including vintage-looking cases with relatively high-end vintage reproduction guitars is a nice idea.)

-- Bob R

The basic Gibson case is a little on the minimalist side (the plastic handle is one of my pet peeves). Luckily, my J200 came in the brown vintage case, which is one of the plushest, coolest cases I've come across. Having said that, if it was my live instrument I'd be less bothered, as it would only get scuffed and knocked anyway.

Is there not anywhere to buy replacement customshop Gibson cases?

Archived