Gibson Brands Forums

NGD, Back In The Fold

Joe M

After quite a while without any acoustic guitar, I just brought home a new 50's J45. What a cool looking, playing and sounding guitar. I had gone completely electric for almost a year, but decided it was time to get back to basics.  I was looking at a J45 Standard that one of my local dealers had and was about ready to drop the hammer, when this 50's model showed up. Similar, but different. Differences that are very obvious are: tuners, three on a side with white buttons, as opposed to the Grovers on the Standard. This is a big plus for me, always hated Grover's look. Aged binding, silkscreen Gibson logo, which, again, are pluses for me. Fatter, rounder neck, not really that much different. More transparent back and sides, where the grain is more visible, compared to the black on a Standard, another plus. Sound-wise, very, very close, both sound like a Gibson should. I think the headstock shape may be different, haven't really compared them closely. 

Good to once again hear the rumble of a J45

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe M said:

Would like to post pics, but I keep getting a message the file(s) are  too large......#-o

Honestly I’ve never posted a picture on a forum, and would probably have a hard time as well.  But then I would just  have one of my kids do it for me. 

Congratulations    J-45s are terrific acoustic guitars. And the different types actually vary quite a lot - soundwise too. Yet of course all connected to the same source.

Is this the one ? . . . 

Gibson 50s J-45 Original western-guitar vintage sunburst

20 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Congratulations    J-45s are terrific acoustic guitars. And the different types actually vary quite a lot - soundwise too. Yet of course all connected to the same source.

Is this the one ? . . . 

Gibson 50s J-45 Original western-guitar vintage sunburst

It is, funny thing is that the strap button isn't installed, it's in the accessory compartment. Which is fine with me, I never play acoustic standing up and always hated that several manufacturers, such as Gibson and Taylor, always automatically added the upper strap button. Pretty sure your pic is from Gibson's website, correct?

20 minutes ago, Joe M said:

It is, funny thing is that the strap button isn't installed, it's in the accessory compartment. Which is fine with me, I never play acoustic standing up and always hated that several manufacturers, such as Gibson and Taylor, always automatically added the upper strap button. Pretty sure your pic is from Gibson's website, correct?

Corrrrect ! https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/ACCSRX331/50s-J-45-Original/Vintage-Sunburst

Haven't seen Gibsons (of fx Marts) with strap-buttons from the plant before.  Maybe the pic ia an exception. 

6 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Corrrrect ! https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/ACCSRX331/50s-J-45-Original/Vintage-Sunburst

Haven't seen Gibsons (of fx Marts) with strap-buttons from the plant before.  Maybe the pic ia an exception. 

What's even stranger is that if you click on the ebony version of the guitar, there is no upper strap button. :-k

My 50s J-45 Original came from Music Villa in November. When I ordered it they asked me if I wanted them to attach the strap button on the neck and I said yes. So much easier to keep a constant position, either seated or standing.