Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - LP Raven

EJ41

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

And when a guitar gets returned what happens to it? Does it go back to Nashville? We have had members here state that they bought “new” guitars from GC, and when the serial number was run, it was in fact a resold used/returned guitar. Pretty shady. Do any others do that without stating is was a demo/return/scratch/used, and dent/ect? We hope they are honorable, and sell what they are advertising.

So yeah, that's a problem.  Guitar Factories have an opening over there where the raw materials come in, a bunch of space in the middle where raw materials are made into guitars, and an opening over there where they leave.  That's about it.  A guitar factory, believe it or not, is NOT a repair facility, and it isn't set up to be a repair facility.  Fenders are easy, part them out to employee guitars or put them in the factory store as returns and flawed.  Gibson I guess is a bit rougher, like Martin or the other acoustic makers.  Who knows what they do with them?  Obviously not enough come back to make a big problem for them or the retailers.

rct

30 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

And when a guitar gets returned what happens to it? Does it go back to Nashville? We have had members here state that they bought “new” guitars from GC, and when the serial number was run, it was in fact a resold used/returned guitar. Pretty shady. Do any others do that without stating is was a demo/return/scratch and dent/used,ect? We hope they are honorable, and sell what they are advertising.

I think these days at least they now do them up a  bit and sell them as the Mod collection...  Modded to cover the issues each one had I guess..  And actually some are not as expensive as you may think..  And they seem to sell them pretty quick too

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitars/Collection/gibson-mod/sold

Edited by Rabs

That is an atrocity!  Wow! 

Regarding GC, I always get the impression that I don't know how this business keeps the lights on.  Their stores near me are always filled with some ghetto people playing concerts in the place with all the shelves and crap they sell in disarray....  So no wonder your LP was a mess.  GC is an abomination.  They've done me good in the past, but they've also done me bad.  Bottom line, the people who work there do NOT care about your purchase. 

4 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

That is an atrocity!  Wow! 

Regarding GC, I always get the impression that I don't know how this business keeps the lights on.  Their stores near me are always filled with some ghetto people playing concerts in the place with all the shelves and crap they sell in disarray....  So no wonder your LP was a mess.  GC is an abomination.  They've done me good in the past, but they've also done me bad.  Bottom line, the people who work there do NOT care about your purchase. 

The same can be said about Gibson. How many bankruptcies are under their belt? And how many times did they almost go under?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Wow, it looks like I got into the wrong business. I should've gotten into guitar manufacturing, where apparently I could make unacceptable crap and the customer will blame the middle man retailer for everything. Genius!

Edited by EJ41
spelling

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The same can be said about Gibson. How may bankruptcies are under their belt?

So true man...  You see that video that guy posted about his LP crackling when he touched any metal parts on it?  WOW!  I've seen the static-pop crap going on, but a new LP Custom having that is unacceptable.  You shouldn't have to wait 2 years for the "nitro to cure" so you don't get thunderous static pops - or whatever the hell it is - going on. 

I'd be pissed off!  I even said to live with it, but didn't know it was THAT BAD! 

Edited by NighthawkChris

3 minutes ago, EJ41 said:

Wow, it looks like I got into the wrong business. I should've gotten into guitar manufacturing, where apparently I could make unacceptable crap and the customer will blame the middle man retailer for everything. Genius!

Now we blame CV-19 and Russia.

4 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

So true man...  You see that video that guy posted about his LP crackling when he touched any metal parts on it?  WOW!  I've seen the sttic-pop crap going on, but a new LP Custom having that is unacceptable.  You shouldn't ahve to wait 2 years for the "nitro to cure" so you don't get thunderous static pops - or whatever the hell it is - going on. 

I'd be pissed off!  I even said to live with it, but didn't know it was THAT BAD! 

It's said to happen due to the electrostatic charge they use during the painting, like the way car makes do it. 

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It's said to happen due to the electrostatic charge they use during the painting, like the way car makes do it. 

I get that and not to derail the thread here about the Raven LP Studio, but it is plain BS that you have to wait for this crap to just "go away"...  Pretty sure this wasn't going on back in the early days when they first made these things, but you know about a billion LPs out there and we all need one or 5, so a way to crank up the production perhaps?  Who knows...  Do we need electrostatic paint jobs on an all-black guitar?  Because they are not making cars - something millions of people need for every-day - they are making guitars - something millions of people do not need to exist in an economy (except for those that make their living on music today which isn't many of us).  IDK...  Seems like this process causes more headaches for the suckers who pay thousands for their wood, wires and paint.  Do they (Gibson) care...  Nah. They're ICONIC!  AUTHENTIC! 

Edited by NighthawkChris

15 hours ago, Rabs said:

I think part of the problem here is that Gibson themselves put their guitars in such a high regard in their marketing nonsense you would think each guitar was sprinkled with magic unicorn sh*t and by owning one you become part of rock history as it will make you sound like "insert guitar player"  and they are pretty expensive.... So they put the expectations so high that when you do get a duff one it is pretty disappointing.  Some people wait their whole life to get a Gibson and getting one like the OP got would be very upsetting.

Of course then we get a lot of people come on here thinking that maybe Gibson might read this and do something about it..  And after more than a decade on here I can tell you they wont.... 

Maybe in an ideal world they should...  But they wont.

I like Rabs! 

1 hour ago, EJ41 said:

I, the one you quoted and then edited out the quote, did not tell you that, did not say that, have never said  that.

The problems you have faced SHOULD be between the retailer and the maker.  You buy exactly ONE guitar, no offense to you or anyone else, the maker doesn't care about your one guitar.  They do care about the hundreds, thousands that GC buys in a year.  Give the guitar back, make the problem between the maker and their outlet, not between the maker and you.

It is all they understand.  Your phone call to them outlining your crushing disappointment with their QC Department means nothing.  GC calling them with 11ythree returns means a lot.  Your one problem will cause minor sniffles for a minute.  GC, Sam Ash, all of them combined, ganging up on them with all of the lost overhead and flawed inventory will cause heartburn and re-assignments.  Eventually.  But far faster than the occasional phone call from irate consumer.

So take it as yeah it's ok blah blah blah.  It isn't.  It just isn't your problem to solve.

Again, good luck, I hope you find one.

rct

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Is that show still on?

They released a couple extra long episodes last year, I think it was. Before that they were still putting out a season a year. Still pretty good, if you ask me. I dug it. 

Edited by Pinch

7 minutes ago, rct said:

I, the one you quoted and then edited out the quote, did not tell you that, did not say that, have never said  that.

The problems you have faced SHOULD be between the retailer and the maker.  You buy exactly ONE guitar, no offense to you or anyone else, the maker doesn't care about your one guitar.  They do care about the hundreds, thousands that GC buys in a year.  Give the guitar back, make the problem between the maker and their outlet, not between the maker and you.

It is all they understand.  Your phone call to them outlining your crushing disappointment with their QC Department means nothing.  GC calling them with 11ythree returns means a lot.  Your one problem will cause minor sniffles for a minute.  GC, Sam Ash, all of them combined, ganging up on them with all of the lost overhead and flawed inventory will cause heartburn and re-assignments.  Eventually.  But far faster than the occasional phone call from irate consumer.

So take it as yeah it's ok blah blah blah.  It isn't.  It just isn't your problem to solve.

Again, good luck, I hope you find one.

rct

It was an accident that you were quoted, and I think 1 other person. Thats why I removed it. And yeah, I know your feelings on this, you've shared them like 3 times, and if you instead took the time to read what I previously wrote, you'd see that I said (more than once) that the guitar was already returned and that I have no intention of buying another.