Gibson Brands Forums

Do Guitars Rot?

Apyoung86

Okay, here's a question:

I was polishing my guitar with the strap buttons off and I got some guitar polish in the strap button screw holes. Will this rot the wood in my guitar? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Guitars are like women...they age like fine wine.

But.....

Cher is way older than me.

And you are a kid.

Cher would KILL you in bed.............

There goes your wine thingy........

=D>

Murph.

In order for wood to decay it needs water,bacteria and time. Sunlight and temp. also plays a part. All wood has some moisture content, but since guitar bodies are kiln dried, shaped then sprayed with some type of finish moisture is not an issue. Plus we keep them indoors. The polish has chemicals in it which should prevent any problem. However, with all that being said If a guitar is played heavely and never cleaned, I could see some problems with decay.

In order for wood to decay it needs water' date='bacteria and time. Sunlight and temp. also plays a part. All wood has some moisture content, but since guitar bodies are kiln dried, shaped then sprayed with some type of finish moisture is not an issue. Plus we keep them indoors. The polish has chemicals in it which should prevent any problem. However, with all that being said If a guitar is played heavely and never cleaned, I could see some problems with decay.[/quote']

However, the chances are high that you will die and rot before your guitar.

Okay, here's a second question: I put loctite thread locker blue 242 in my guitar strap button screw holes. I think it may have eaten away a little bit of the finish. I guess my question is, what about the wood? Will this **** I put in my guitar for some unknowable reason rot or corrode the wood in anyway? How screwed am I here?

Archived