Gibson Brands Forums

New Standard 60s with poor QC

Josephmang

Bought a new Gibson standard 60s in unburst, and yesterday it arrived. I was excited to open it up, but that quickly turned to disappointment when getting the guitar out of the case. 

Chips and scratches out of the fingerboard, including a large one near the nut. I'm usually not too fussy, and the small scratches I would have let go, but combined with the larger chips, it's just too much poor quality for me to be happy with the guitar. 

Is this the normal for Gibson? I haven't had many of their guitars, and I don't know what I should be expecting, but I would hope that it matched the quality of other guitars in that price range that I have. Anyone else seen these issues?20220318_001744.thumb.jpg.e0bb482fbd92102f6d4a85c64c6e1cbd.jpg20220318_001754.thumb.jpg.2e89105725d1053dc0baf23950392767.jpg20220318_001732.thumb.jpg.a6cfc0adb294b1fce04b4d93dca32366.jpg

Scratches on the rosewood from fret filing seem to be common these days.

Some guys have posted photos much worse than yours.

It's not something that makes us as buyers all that happy, but it is just cosmetics.

If you are so inclined to try, a rub down with 0000 steel or brass wool might help to reduce the visuals.  (Tape over your pickups first)

Whoever is doing the fret work at Gibson, needs to be retrained.  They are doing a crappy job.

42 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Scratches on the rosewood from fret filing seem to be common these days.

Some guys have posted photos much worse than yours.

It's not something that makes us as buyers all that happy, but it is just cosmetics.

If you are so inclined to try, a rub down with 0000 steel or brass wool might help to reduce the visuals.  (Tape over your pickups first)

Whoever is doing the fret work at Gibson, needs to be retrained.  They are doing a crappy job.

The scratches aren't too bad, I could live with those. It's the actual chunks taken out of it that concern me, especially the one near the nut. 

Feels very disheartening at this point though, going through the motions of having to send it back, or to do work on it myself. Feels a little redundant spending so much on a guitar only for it to need repairs/touch ups out of the box. 

But I also don't know if it's worth the risk trying for a different one and ending up with a worse top, or other issues 😬

yea, I agree, but you'd have to see the replacement up close before you can make that call..  For me, and my location,  good luck even finding a Gibson dealer

I won't buy from Guitar Center, so it's online purchase, and take yer chances..

7 hours ago, Forsaken said:

Given the price of Standard's I would be sending it back. Mine was perfect. I bought it through a store and they checked it over before even handing it to me and of course I looked it over too. Can you send it back?

Yeah I can send it back. 

But that also means taking the chances on another top that I may not like as much. Which I guess is my only option. 

Puts a real sour taste in your mouth about buying the guitars though. 😕

10 hours ago, kidblast said:

yea, I agree, but you'd have to see the replacement up close before you can make that call..  For me, and my location,  good luck even finding a Gibson dealer

I won't buy from Guitar Center, so it's online purchase, and take yer chances..

I have some dealers near me, but I'm also in Australia. Which means we kind of get whatever stock we get. 

13 hours ago, Josephmang said:

Yeah I can send it back. 

But that also means taking the chances on another top that I may not like as much. Which I guess is my only option. 

Puts a real sour taste in your mouth about buying the guitars though. 😕

It is a ***** I agree. I went through it when Allan's music sent me a guitar case that turned out to be cut wrong and didn't fit my Explorer. On the bright side after a lot of back and forward I ended up getting to keep it and got a refund. Had to threaten them with small claims court though! I was able to fix the case too, just had to cut the foam to fit. 

13 hours ago, Josephmang said:

I have some dealers near me, but I'm also in Australia. Which means we kind of get whatever stock we get. 

I'm in Australia as well. I have bought a lot of guitars unseen online but when it comes to more expensive ones I put an order in with Coleman's music and when it arrives I check it out in store. My 60's Standard took about 6 months to arrive but it was perfect when it did. 

1 hour ago, Forsaken said:

It is a ***** I agree. I went through it when Allan's music sent me a guitar case that turned out to be cut wrong and didn't fit my Explorer. On the bright side after a lot of back and forward I ended up getting to keep it and got a refund. Had to threaten them with small claims court though! I was able to fix the case too, just had to cut the foam to fit. 

I'm in Australia as well. I have bought a lot of guitars unseen online but when it comes to more expensive ones I put an order in with Coleman's music and when it arrives I check it out in store. My 60's Standard took about 6 months to arrive but it was perfect when it did. 

I ended up spending a couple of hours at Sky music today, as they let me go through all the standards they had in stock. Not a single one was entirely perfect, but I found one with an insane top for a standard with minimal fretboard marks, and nothing like what I am sending back. 

So I have ended up with a better guitar which I am happy with and can live with. But you're right, with Gibson I really do need to be inspecting in person as otherwise I run the risk of having to send back and forth. 

• Like 1

Yeah the job around the nut is unacceptable 100%.  Just another voice to say that this is not right.  I would not keep that one. Let Gibson blame it on COVID.  They also had a price hike recently, so wonder WTF we are paying more for... 

Honestly, I get the sour taste in your mouth.  I for one don't like to buy new Gibsons.  I only buy used because the latest runs of these guitars for the money are not worth the cost IMHO.  YMMV.  I also like Nighthawks, and those stopped being made in the 90s. 

TBH, I have only gone Custom Shop because these are impeccable MOST of the time.  But you shouldn't have to pay CS dollars to get the binding scraped properly.  Even then, I question if I really needed to buy my CS Gibsons...  I have a better playing experience on my Indonesian made guitar that cost a fraction of what I paid for my CS Gibsons. 

Overall, it is a shame what Gibson USA has become.  Your experience reminds me of when I bought a new 2018 LP Classic.  I went through 2 of them and they both are not in my possession today.  That's because they sucked.  I returned them, that's how I got back at the man.  No sale... 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Josephmang said:

I ended up spending a couple of hours at Sky music today, as they let me go through all the standards they had in stock. Not a single one was entirely perfect, but I found one with an insane top for a standard with minimal fretboard marks, and nothing like what I am sending back. 

So I have ended up with a better guitar which I am happy with and can live with. But you're right, with Gibson I really do need to be inspecting in person as otherwise I run the risk of having to send back and forth. 

Glad to see you have a resolution. As has been said, we've seen several complaints of this nature. Every buyer deserves to be satisfied. 

I only ever bought one Gibson online and I suppose I was lucky. It seems perfect. Post up some pics of your replacement when you get it.

• Like 1

No question, send it back.

what does it say about Gibson QC that one is afraid the alternative may be worse??!!

A guitar of this nature should always reach you in perfect condition- if the manufacturer cannot guarantee this- people should vote with their feet and buy an alternative 

• Like 1