Gibson Brands Forums

About J-45's... Modern Classic vs the others

Bert plays a SG?

You are correct- I miscalculated. A full set of Rotomatics weighs .62 pounds' date=' while a full set of Waverlies with metal buttons weighs .36 pounds. I have the ones with the ivoroid buttons, which are actually closer to .3 pounds. So in switching, I saved about a third of a pound- roughly 12% of the total instrument weight.

As noted, the factory Grovers are really wretched. They don't make them like they used to- my 2001 Taylor has the "real" Grovers, and there is a night-and-day difference.

However, the Waverlies are in another league; they are really exceptional. They are smooth as silk, the ratio is just right, and the reduced weight really improves the instrument's balance on a strap. Oh, and they're pretty. [/quote']

this isn't correct math either. by that regard your guitar only weighs 3 pounds... which would be absolutely stunning.

i know it makes a difference changing the tuners. it helps the balance, and b/c of the balance it affects the perceived weight. i also feel that less weight on the headstock makes a profound difference in tone.... but i think you are also overstating the weight effect still.

you are closer to 6% than 12% i believe.

but the thing is, that it does make a real difference, i agree... it's just not the numbers you gave.

Ok I've tried the J-45 Modern Classic and the True Vintage: Modern Classic is better (for me). I'm still shaken by this experience of playing it today LOL!!

To be precise: the back is a one piece' date=' non-plywood, very solid, with light bracing lol!

I've checked and the neck is actually thinner than the one on my 2007 Gibson SG Standard... which I find very interesting! Same scale but thinner neck?!?! I really dig the pick-up! Wow!! +volume control!

I'm not sure about the tuners though... they are not that bad... just feel loose... I dunno why...

Oh! And it also sounds incredible!! Wow!

Now I just gotta work a few extra hours here and there to get it - 2700$ tax. inc. =P~ Getting close!

I wanna it soon, for the summer![/quote']

are you sure it's a one piece? the specs call for a 2 piece back, and i've never seen a one piece example. that being said most have the seam so well matched that it is very hard to find.

this isn't correct math either. by that regard your guitar only weighs 3 pounds... which would be absolutely stunning.

i know it makes a difference changing the tuners. it helps the balance' date=' and b/c of the balance it affects the perceived weight. i also feel that less weight on the headstock makes a profound difference in tone.... but i think you are also overstating the weight effect still.

you are closer to 6% than 12% i believe.

but the thing is, that it does make a real difference, i agree... it's just not the numbers you gave.[/quote']

We are closing on the answer. :)

The Legends series J-45 weighs 4 pounds, per the Gibson website. I assume that the TV is pretty close. Therefore, .3 pounds of tuner weight/4 pounds of guitar = 7.5%

To your point- I was trying to show that a seemingly small amount of weight is significant when you consider that the guitar is pretty lightweight, and where the tuner weight is placed. I also believe that there were significant tone improvements when I switched to the lighter tuners.

We are closing on the answer. :D

The Legends series J-45 weighs 4 pounds' date=' per the Gibson website. I assume that the TV is pretty close. Therefore, .3 pounds of tuner weight/4 pounds of guitar = 7.5%

To your point- I was trying to show that a seemingly small amount of weight is significant when you consider that the guitar is pretty lightweight, and where the tuner weight is placed. I also believe that there were significant tone improvements when I switched to the lighter tuners.[/quote']

yeah, and i think that's the biggest part. that weight on the headstock i believe makes a huge tonal difference... and clearly affects the feel/ balance of the guitar. i was basing things off of my MC which is 5 lbs.

yes, undersaddle transducer. Yesterday I talked with a great luthier in Nashville who has installed hundreds of Baggs Elements, and says that he has never heard a detrimental affect on acoustic tone. His opinion is obviously more credible than mine, and I am willing to accept that it might be my imagination. I would encourage anyone to experiment for themselves and see if there's a difference.

You are correct- I miscalculated. A full set of Rotomatics weighs .62 pounds' date=' while a full set of Waverlies with metal buttons weighs .36 pounds. I have the ones with the ivoroid buttons, which are actually closer to .3 pounds.

However, the Waverlies are in another league; they are really exceptional. They are smooth as silk, the ratio is just right, and the reduced weight really improves the instrument's balance on a strap. Oh, and they're pretty. [/quote']

+1 on the Waverlys.

I replaced the stock Kluson "tulips" on my Gibson with the ivoroid oval Waverlys and never looked back. They are really fine tuners. Don't want to sound heretical but the stock white ovals on some Gibsons I've played look like inexpensive plastic toys in comparison.

It felt like the Grover Rotomatics were loose inside...

You can adjust the little screw at the end of the button to make them easier or harder to turn, but the gears don't mesh tightly with the new Grovers. There is some feeling of looseness in going from forward to back, or back to forward direction.

That being said, if you start flat and tune up to pitch rather than tuning down from a sharp note, they will stay in tune just like any others. It's mostly a feel/aesthetics thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that some J45 Modern Classic - Mahogany have either silver Grover's or has Gotoh with white knobs.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Acoustic-J45-Modern-Classic-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar?sku=517541&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26043784

http://www.fretbase.com/guitars/378-gibson-j-45-modern-classic

Mine was just purchased a couple weeks ago and has the grovers, which are fine but I am just wondering why two different tuners for the same MC model . It made me wonder so I checked the model number RS45VSNH1 on my box, which also has the Model J45 MC, and yup it's a Modern Classic. Maybe the manufacture date has something to do with it, mine was manufactured in August 2008.

Regards

I have been obsessing about what model of J-45, etc. etc. And I'm noticing that many of us here are doing the same. What are we looking for exactly? I know that from the first strum of the 2007 legends j-45 in this you tube vid...

... I feel like that is the quintessential j-45 sound to me, i even prefer it to the original included in the same vid, i iike a bit tighter sound... (my 2 cents)

I am just wondering why two different tuners for the same MC model .

I believe the the MF description is simply wrong: the J-45 MC' date=' and the J-45 Standard that has replaced it, comes with Grovers. (Although it's certainly possible some MCs have left Bozeman with different tuners. This [i']is[/i] Gibson we're talking about.)

-- Bob R

Bob R.

Sounds reasonable. But I do like the Grovers and this guitar. I wonder what the model after the Standard will be called, maybe the J45 45. I tell you what I didn't like was the Gibson case that it came in. Black interior, not very plush. I thought the case top would have an elevated (mold like) surface. This case looked like it belonged to a very cheap dreadnaught. In the past everytime I saw a Gibson case I thought "quality". The case is not from Bozeman, it has a Gibson-Canada tag inside.

Also Edgar, my label inside says J45. It was the box that had an MC and the product model number RS45VSNH1 on the box and my receipt, that told me it was an MC. I ran the product number on the net and it all came back to MC's. I would have been fine with what ever it was because it is such a sweet player, but I brought up the original question because I wanted to know.

Okay, while I am still up late watching my daughter's car (which for the second time got burglarized, you gotta love Vegas) I'd like to throw this out there. Bridge pins. Yikes !!! What a selection is out there. One that I haven't seen mentioned here is Pinz. I have heard all the sonic stories about this or that pin, I may get a set of these based on the looks. I'm looking at an MOP top. You can even have the tops engraved, hmmm maybe "GIBSON". I wrote to them and got an immediate response saying that they have many J45 customers and no one has ever returned the pins, so the fit at .210" and 3 degrees, slotted, appears to be the size. If I get some I will keep you informed. Here is there site. http://www.pinzuk.com/

Best Regards

DonCarlos

I replaced the plastic pins in my J45 MC with bone pins from Bob Colosi. The first set I got was .210, and was too small; I had to have Bob custom-make a set that was .220 on the major diameter, with a three degree taper. They fit like a glove!

FWIW- I think those brass pins look kinda tacky, but that's just me.

Archived