Gibson Brands Forums

J-45s and Hummingbirds owners, what do you prefer?

Bert plays a SG?

If the place were burning down and I could only save one, it would be my J-45 TV. I think it's the best all-around guitar I own. Are you planning to use it more for picking or strumming or accompanying vocals? Or some combination of the three? The J-45 is great for all occasions.

IMHO, the Hummingbird is a great singer/songwriter guitar (and I love mine). My vote is for the versatility of the J-45, though.

+1 on what powerpopper said.

J-45 TV is my favorite. I have an older hummingbird that i play a lot, it's a great guitar but if i had to pick one i'd pick the J-45

I've been in your shoes before - keep playing a bunch of them and get the one that speaks to you the most. Right off the bat the hummingbird can be perhaps a little more aesthetically pleasing, but find one that feels good and sounds good and you'll be all set, you can't go wrong with either. I don't know what you have available to you locally but i'd encourage you to play the TV variety of both guitars if available just to see the differences. They're not necessarily better as the MCs are fantastic - just a little different is all. (And a bit more expensive if i remember correctly.)

I've owned three Hummingbirds and two J45s over the years. It's hard to pick as they are both amazing models, but for me it's the Hummer all the way. I have a Modern Classic and it is, truly, all things to all men.

I flatpick, fingerpick and strum, and the Bird covers all bases very well. So do J45s, mind you. You can't really go wrong with either. To paraphrase another forum poster, if your choice is narrowed down to a Bird or J45, the chances of you being pleased with your eventual decision is akin to the chances of finding water when falling out of a boat.

Have you tried a Dove, by the way? They can be incredible instruments.

somehow the Hummingbird seems more balanced and a bit warmer.. What do you think?

Hm. Not to be contrary, but square dreads like the bird accentuate the bass at the expense of the top strings. The J45, with its sloped shoulder, is actually better balanced, string to string, but its treble is right out there, isnt covered up by the big bass and feels more exposed. You seem to enjoy the extra warmth that spreads from the bass and lower mids on the Bird. So never mind the physics, go with the feeling.

For me , it is the J-45 all the way. Very versatile. Very good for many styles of playing. The Humingbird is a bit ugly to me! However, I still cant resist playing them in the shop. They are indeed one of the finest sounding guitars available.

You really cant go wrong with either. They are iconic.

I have one of each. I'll keep my Hummingbird over the J45. That is just me but you should go to a shop and play both to ensure that you get the one that fits your playing style and body best. If you sing, you will probably want the bird because of it's mellow tone (improves with age). It can be loud and booming but not a tight bright sound of the J45.

Good luck

Archived