Gibson Brands Forums

2022 Elvis Dove & J-200

Hype

Anyone excited for these models? I’m looking forward to the Dove. I’ve wanted one of these since 2005, but back then I did not have the funds. But I have a dilemma now, I can only fund 1 purchase right now. So it’s either gonna be 1) EP Dove or 2) Gretsch Falcon Players (Midnight Sapphire) which I too wanted a Falcon in like forever….

HELP!!!

I was special ordering ebony Doves and J200s back in the 90s.  As well as J45s.  All with standard features     Nothing wrong with buying a Elvis family endorsed Gibson.  Its what make you happy.      If it was me. If you like the size of the J200 ,  get it.     

12 hours ago, slimt said:

I was special ordering ebony Doves and J200s back in the 90s.  As well as J45s.  All with standard features     Nothing wrong with buying a Elvis family endorsed Gibson.  Its what make you happy.      If it was me. If you like the size of the J200 ,  get it.     

I have a 2009 J-200 Sunburst and a 2016 Hummingbird vintage…And always wanted an Ebony Dove particularly Elvis’ model….Tough choices out there.

Not a twinge of longing.  But we are also lucky when it comes to Elvis guitars if that is your thing.  We own a 1960 J200 so built the same year as the guitar Elvis played through most of the 1960s.  I originally paid about 1/2 of what this new version is running.  While that may sound like a deal, it was the most I had ever laid out on a guitar.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Not a twinge of longing.  But we are also lucky when it comes to Elvis guitars if that is your thing.  We own a 1960 J200 so built the same year as the guitar Elvis played through most of the 1960s.  I originally paid about 1/2 of what this new version is running.  While that may sound like a deal, it was the most I had ever laid out on a guitar.

Nice. So you got it back in 1960 the J-200? Or back then I guess they went by SJ-200? Is it natural? Also, you must’ve paid approx $200 back then….Which is still a lot of money..

1 hour ago, Hype said:

Nice. So you got it back in 1960 the J-200? Or back then I guess they went by SJ-200? Is it natural? Also, you must’ve paid approx $200 back then….Which is still a lot of money..

No, they were J200s.  In 1960 a brand new J200 cost $395 plus another just under $55 for a top of line case.  A natural top version would run you $15 more.  Sorry to disappoint you but I did not get got my first guitar though until around 1962.  Not having doting parents, it was an old archtop a friend of my grandfather had sitting in a closet and knowing I wanted a guitar gave to me.   It would be many years though until I could afford even a new J45.

• 6 months later...

We had a couple of threads here earlier this year on the difficulty of getting new Gibsons, especially highly desirable models,  the higher prices and the increases in prices on used ones.

I think the general conclusion was that it was due to:  The Supply Chain,  Inflation,  Work Force Issues,  and the Japanese and Canadians buying up everything. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

We had a couple of threads here earlier this year on the difficulty of getting new Gibsons, especially highly desirable models,  the higher prices and the increases in prices on used ones.

I think the general conclusion was that it was due to:  The Supply Chain,  Inflation,  Work Force Issues,  and the Japanese and Canadians buying up everything. 

And don’t you dare leave out our new favorite scapegoat, and the one we will use for the next 20+ years - Covid.

4 hours ago, Murph said:

I was in my 40's when I got my first new J-45...

I never did get one.  The first time I could afford a new Gibson would have been in the early-1970s when I had a real (albeit temporary) job.  And the Gibsons they were churning out at the time were, to put it kindly, not exactly the best of the breed.  So, my first Gibson ended up being a guitar built between 1955 and 1959.  

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I was 60 -  'wished for' -  got an almost brand new SJ200.  Traded in for a Martin by a church musician - who swore it was  only driven on Sundays.  Prior to that I had only 1 guitar - an LG1 - for 40+ years.    First brand new J45, when I retired at 65. 

I would only get a EP Dove or EP J-200 If it was signed by Elvis.

I got a new J-15 when I was about 49. Am I in the club? I no longer have it though.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 hours ago, Dave F said:

My EP J200 has been on back order for a long while. I don’t think it’s a Canadian issue. 

Yeah L&M have a few EP Doves on back order…It’s been several months now. Trying to get all my NGD’s out of the way before next year for Gibson. Then onto my Gretsch Players Falcon for 2023. It’s good to be rich, but even we have to wait for the “supply” chain issues to resolve themselves apparently..

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I was 60 -  'wished for' -  got an almost brand new SJ200.  Traded in for a Martin by a church musician - who swore it was  only driven on Sundays.  Prior to that I had only 1 guitar - an LG1 - for 40+ years.    First brand new J45, when I retired at 65. 

You almost got an SJ200, but? What happened?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I would only get a EP Dove or EP J-200 If it was signed by Elvis.

I got a new J-15 when I was about 49. Am I in the club? I no longer have it though.

What happened? You sold it? The EP Dove and J-200s are nice…Stupid supply chain.

7 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I never did get one.  The first time I could afford a new Gibson would have been in the early-1970s when I had a real (albeit temporary) job.  And the Gibsons they were churning out at the time were, to put it kindly, not exactly the best of the breed.  So, my first Gibson ended up being a guitar built between 1955 and 1959.  

The Norlin era Gibsons are not looked upon kindly, though funny how nostalgia changes everything. Now 1974 LP Customs are highly regarded. Though the 70’s Gibson acoustics aren’t raved about much..

1 hour ago, Hype said:

The Norlin era Gibsons are not looked upon kindly, though funny how nostalgia changes everything. Now 1974 LP Customs are highly regarded. Though the 70’s Gibson acoustics aren’t raved about much..

For me, had I not gone back into the Gibson catalog I probably would have had to wait until Bozeman went into operation before I understood and full appreciated the strong fundamentals of the Gibson sound.