Gibson Brands Forums

2022 Elvis Dove & J-200

Hype

20 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Shoulda gone with 12's -   you coulda gotten a shart out of it !

I was thinking with 12's it would be a diarrhea sound. Nice to have someone else along to bash the J-15 with me. And 13's a solid t-urd.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Shoulda gone with 12's -   you coulda gotten a shart out of it !

The Gibson we have owned the longest is that 1960 J200.  For as long as I can remember my wife has strung it with 11s.  Then one day for grins I slapped a set of 12s on it for her.  Leaping ahead to the present I had some kind of a brain fart and returned to 11s.  As soon as she picked the guitar up she gave me a look like I had broken it and made me slap a set of 12s on the thing.

4 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The Gibson we have owned the longest is that 1960 J200.  For as long as I can remember my wife has strung it with 11s.  Then one day for grins I slapped a set of 12s on it for her.  Leaping ahead to the present I had some kind of a brain fart and returned to 11s.  As soon as she picked the guitar up she gave me a look like I had broken it and made me slap a set of 12s on the thing.

The only Mega Jumbo Gibby I played was a 2005 SJ-200 at Carter's Vintage Guitars. It was a heap ton of cash cause it was for sale there, and it did not impress me one bit, and was huge like the Guild JF-30 I used to own. It was there I played but did not buy the same model Guild, and then I got one several months later. I traded my LP Trad Pro II for it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

First, I couldn't afford a Gibson until the daughter's college and wedding was over, so I was in my mid 50's when I got my first Gibson.

I've had two SJ200 standards (maple) and two customs (koa and rosewood).  All nice guitars but one of the standards is the only one I liked sound-wise.  I'm hoping this EP will sound as good.

7 minutes ago, Dave F said:

First, I couldn't afford a Gibson until the daughter's college and wedding was over, so I was in my mid 50's when I got my first Gibson.

I've had two SJ200 standards (maple) and two customs (koa and rosewood).  All nice guitars but one of the standards is the only one I liked sound-wise.  I'm hoping this EP will sound as good.

If not just pose with it and do karate moves on stage with it like E did.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The only Mega Jumbo Gibby I played was a 2005 SJ-200 at Carter's Vintage Guitars. It was a heap ton of cash cause it was for sale there, and it did not impress me one bit, and was huge like the Guild JF-30 I used to own. It was there I played but did not buy the same model Guild, and then I got one several months later. I traded my LP Trad Pro II for it.

It is hard though to compare my wife's 1960 with Bozman-made versions.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record, her guitar has a unique bracing which as far as I know Bozeman has never attempted to replicate.  Makes for a noticeably different sounding instrument.

On 9/24/2022 at 12:58 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

If not just pose with it and do karate moves on stage with it like E did.

I need to get my jumpsuit first and gain a few hundred pounds. If these EP Doves ever ship here (again taking forever to arrive), I’ll play my EP Dove while eating PB & Banana sandwiches for breakfast..Guess I’ll have to put on that Kempo Karate sticker on..

1 minute ago, Hype said:

I need to get my jumpsuit first and gain a few hundred pounds. If these EP Doves ever ship here (again taking forever to arrive), I’ll play my EP Dove while eating PB & Banana sandwiches for breakfast..Guess I’ll have to put on that Kempo Karate sticker on..

I went to Graceland and bought a few post cards with E's favorite recipes on them. The PB & B Sandwich was one of them. I had it on my fridge when I was a bachelor, when I had a townhouse. Its in a drawer somewhere.  I need to find it and put it back on the fridge. My parents saw E a few times. I remember staying at my Grandparents apartment when they went to Reno to see him.

I guess to make it more like the original you need to attach the sticker, but do you really want to put as sticker on a 4k guitar?

39 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I went to Graceland and bought a few post cards with E's favorite recipes on them. The PB & B Sandwich was one of them. I had it on my fridge when I was a bachelor, when I had a townhouse. Its in a drawer somewhere.  I need to find it and put it back on the fridge. My parents saw E a few times. I remember staying at my Grandparents apartment when they went to Reno to see him.

I guess to make it more like the original you need to attach the sticker, but do you really want to put as sticker on a 4k guitar?

Nah. That sticker is ugly. Elvis was going through his Karate phase during this time. I’m not sure what the delay here is exactly on this EP Dove shipping to Canada….

I received an Email from Gibson today and the Dove was one of the mentioned guitars back in stock.

Back In Stock Artist Guitars

The Gibson Artist Collection

The Gibson Artist Collection features models inspired by and designed in collaboration with your favorite artists. Get inspired by the sound that has shaped music for generations, and pick up a guitar from your favorite legendary player.

Tony Iommi SG
Special

Tony Iommi's iconic riffs, heavy tones, and massively influential albums created the blueprint for heavy metal and many other genres to follow. His career, like the man himself, is universally loved and revered.

Lzzy Hale Signature Explorerbird

Lzzy Hale, Gibson’s first female Brand Ambassador, is known for her explosive live performances with her band Halestorm. Her new Explorerbird is a hard-rocking, great-looking guitar that is built for heavy music.

Elvis Dove

The Gibson Elvis Dove is based on a customized 1969 Gibson Dove that was gifted to the King of Rock and Roll by his father, Vernon Presley, and that Elvis played in concert regularly from 1971 until 1975.

Jerry Cantrell “Atone” Songwriter

Whether you’re writing a song at home, laying it down in the studio, or bringing it to thousands on stage, the Jerry Cantrell “Atone” Songwriter delivers.

The Gibson Brands Family

Epiphone, Kramer, & Gibson are registered trademarks of Gibson Brands, Inc.

Copyright©2022 Gibson Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

11 hours ago, Dave F said:

I received an Email from Gibson today and the Dove was one of the mentioned guitars back in stock.

Back In Stock Artist Guitars

The Gibson Artist Collection

The Gibson Artist Collection features models inspired by and designed in collaboration with your favorite artists. Get inspired by the sound that has shaped music for generations, and pick up a guitar from your favorite legendary player.

Tony Iommi SG
Special

Tony Iommi's iconic riffs, heavy tones, and massively influential albums created the blueprint for heavy metal and many other genres to follow. His career, like the man himself, is universally loved and revered.

Lzzy Hale Signature Explorerbird

Lzzy Hale, Gibson’s first female Brand Ambassador, is known for her explosive live performances with her band Halestorm. Her new Explorerbird is a hard-rocking, great-looking guitar that is built for heavy music.

Elvis Dove

The Gibson Elvis Dove is based on a customized 1969 Gibson Dove that was gifted to the King of Rock and Roll by his father, Vernon Presley, and that Elvis played in concert regularly from 1971 until 1975.

Jerry Cantrell “Atone” Songwriter

Whether you’re writing a song at home, laying it down in the studio, or bringing it to thousands on stage, the Jerry Cantrell “Atone” Songwriter delivers.

The Gibson Brands Family

Epiphone, Kramer, & Gibson are registered trademarks of Gibson Brands, Inc.

Copyright©2022 Gibson Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Thanks Dave..Sounds like good news. I heard these were limited to 200. Wondering if some got delayed due to materials? Or perhaps other guitars took priority..

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2022 at 3:52 PM, Hype said:

Still waiting 🙁

A couple dealers (Sam Ash and GC) are showing them in stock and ready to ship.

I haven't seen anyone with one with the J200 in stock. I think my wait is going to be longer than yours

6 hours ago, Dave F said:

A couple dealers (Sam Ash and GC) are showing them in stock and ready to ship.

I haven't seen anyone with one with the J200 in stock. I think my wait is going to be longer than yours

Based North of the Border here. Been like waiting more than a few months. The guitar’s MSRP went from $5,899.99 CAD when I purchased it to $6,399.99 CAD in a few months. Crazy how much prices have gone up. But in retrospect, a 50’s Standard LP MSRP last year was $2,999.99 CAD, now it’s $3,499.99.

Edited by Hype

On 12/6/2022 at 10:26 PM, Hype said:

Based North of the Border here. Been like waiting more than a few months. The guitar’s MSRP went from $5,899.99 CAD when I purchased it to $6,399.99 CAD in a few months. Crazy how much prices have gone up. But in retrospect, a 50’s Standard LP MSRP last year was $2,999.99 CAD, now it’s $3,499.99.

I see the Dove is available, but the 200 isn't. But on Gibsons site it doesn't say only 200 will be made. Some other ones like the Noel and Tom Petty state how many will be made, but not the Elvis ones.

Ya gotta pay to play. We have two things to thank - greed and CV-19. A millionaire CEO's wife and kids gotta eat too.

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I see the Dove is available, but the 200 isn't. But on Gibsons site it doesn't say only 200 will be made. Some other ones like the Noel and Tom Petty state how many will be made, but not the Elvis ones.

Ya gotta pay to play. We have two things to thank - greed and CV-19. A millionaire CEO's wife and kids gotta eat too.

Waiting for Yorkville (Gibson’s Canadian Distributor) is a pain. My NG-355 got here and it was ordered 3 months later than when I ordered the EP Dove. Yeah you wanna play a Gibson in 2023, it’ll cost at least $500 more for us Canadians…I hate to think how much Gretsch’s have gone up. I want the Players Falcon Midnight Sapphire. It was $4,500 CAD last year, don’t even want to know the up charge on it when I order it next year…

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 1:32 PM, zombywoof said:

It is hard though to compare my wife's 1960 with Bozman-made versions.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record, her guitar has a unique bracing which as far as I know Bozeman has never attempted to replicate.  Makes for a noticeably different sounding instrument.

Can you share a video of it? Would love to hear it and see it?? 

11 hours ago, afishynado said:

Can you share a video of it? Would love to hear it and see it?? 

The only thing I have in the house to record music with is a reel to reel. One of these days if I ever get my act together, I should ask my modern tech savy daughter to record samples of some of the guitars. 

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

The only thing I have in the house to record music with is a reel to reel. One of these days if I ever get my act together, I should ask my modern tech savy daughter to record samples of some of the guitars. 

No $35 per month cellphone with a camera???

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

I own a flip phone which makes calls and receives and sends messages.

Every flip phone I owned had a camera but hey, it's not my world, I just live in it.....

Interesting side note though, we recently inherited three Gibby's from 1950, they're real nice but, you guessed it, no pictures, sorry 😏

57 minutes ago, afishynado said:

Every flip phone I owned had a camera but hey, it's not my world, I just live in it.....

Interesting side note though, we recently inherited three Gibby's from 1950, they're real nice but, you guessed it, no pictures, sorry 😏

No, the thing does have a camera.  Never tried using it though as I still have my Leica.