Gibson Brands Forums

New guy here - question about Bigsby for new 330L

jamester

Hey everybody, cool forum here! :-)

I've recently purchased a new red ES-330L and LOVE it. I've owned many semi-hollows but never a full hollow, and this is the perfect blend of hollowbody tone and familiar comfort for me. Now I'm thinking it might be quite badass to put a Bigsby on her! I've never owned a Bigsby-style trem before, but it's feeling like now's the time...

I've done my research, and know that it basically comes down to two models: the B7 or B3. I like the idea of the B3 since it doesn't modify the top, but not sure if I'll need the B7 for the tension bar? Every Gibson 335 I've ever seen has had the B7; I've never found a pic of one with a B3 except for on the box of the B3 itself (and that composite is not to scale either, I believe).

So, a couple questions: First, does anyone have any experience with the B3? Will an ABR-1 bridge provide enough tension for it? Also, can anyone provide dimensions/measurements of the overall length of the actual tailpieces (up to the spring)?

As for tone, I'm thinking that this won't make as drastic a difference in sound with my trapeze tailpiece compared to modding a TOM bridge...and actually, I'm even wondering if the increased mass/weight will improve sustain? Also thinking that having a nice pad underneath of it could help to deaden the top a bit for feedback prevention at higher volumes?

Sorry for the long post, really apreciate any help you guys (and gals) can give me - cheers!

Jamester' date='

Have you used a Bigsby? =P~ [/quote']

I have played around on them from time to time over the years, but I have never owned one myself. Always wanted one though, and this seems like the perfect candidate...

Why, is this to talk me out of it? ;-)

No. I don't know enough about full hollowbody guitars to do that. But I do know a B7 is the one that keeps your guitar in tune better, supposedly. Also, Bigsbys are for downward nuance use and not yanking to heck and back. That is why I asked. My 335 works fine without a bridge change. But, I respect the posts and am a gentle accent user only as the Bigsby was intended. So, just thought I'd ask.

No. I don't know enough about full hollowbody guitars to do that. But I do know a B7 is the one that keeps your guitar in tune better' date=' supposedly. Also, Bigsbys are for downward nuance use and not yanking to heck and back. That is why I asked. My 335 works fine without a bridge change. But, I respect the posts and am a gentle accent user only as the Bigsby was intended. So, just thought I'd ask.[/quote']

I hear ya! Rest assured, I'm down with Bigsby useage - no dive bombing here! ;-)

Further research has confirmed I should go with the B7, so I guess I need to make the decision of whether I want to permanently alter the guitar's top like that...

Thanks for the responses Hall Groper!

Archived