Gibson Brands Forums

NFralinD

badbluesplayer

17 minutes ago, Karloff said:

nice. I've never owned any Fralin pickups but they are certainly revered ...

I had an opportunity to sit down with Mr. Fralin 7 or 8 years ago,  just on a whim while I was just trying to kill some time in Richmond. I was actually shocked that he was interested in what I was looking for in my pickups. I must have played a dozen of his guitars with his pickups while he explained each set. A wonderful guy and fabulous pickup maker. I own a set of P-92s in an Epi Dot, a set of Steel Pole 42s in an American Tele, and a set of Jazz pickups in a MIM Jazz bass. They all sound amazing. He is the only boutique pickup maker I will use. Even if you don't buy anything, he is interested in finding out what guitar players needs are, and he is willing to custom wind pickups to your specs at no extra charge.

31 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I had an opportunity to sit down with Mr. Fralin 7 or 8 years ago,  just on a whim while I was just trying to kill some time in Richmond. I was actually shocked that he was interested in what I was looking for in my pickups. I must have played a dozen of his guitars with his pickups while he explained each set. A wonderful guy and fabulous pickup maker. I own a set of P-92s in an Epi Dot, a set of Steel Pole 42s in an American Tele, and a set of Jazz pickups in a MIM Jazz bass. They all sound amazing. He is the only boutique pickup maker I will use. Even if you don't buy anything, he is interested in finding out what guitar players needs are, and he is willing to custom wind pickups to your specs at no extra charge.

Man, that says it all ...  

4 hours ago, zigzag said:

Are the number of winds standard on those, or did you have them wound to your specs? And yes, how do they sound?

They sound awesome.  They have the standard winds and wind ratios for those resistances for the '59 PAF model.  You can get whatever resistances, you just have to specify what you want.  They have just the right amount of unbalanced "edge" for my taste.  I had a nearly identical set in nickel in this guitar, and I put them in my 335, liked them in the 335, and ordered a set in chrome for the Les Paul.  Lindy knows what he's doing so I don't have to.  People ask why would you pay extra.  I say why not?  And some, like ThroBak's, are twice the price of these.