Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop 335's

Luap

Hi there. Which ES 335's (current new available) are from the Custom Shop?

On gibson.com every 335 model is custom shop, but on musiciansfriend.com there are a lot Custom models, but also two not-custom models..

Custom: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/gibson-custom-shop-guitars?N=100001+202996&Ntk=All&Ntt=GIbosn+335&Nty=1

Not-custom: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/gibson?N=100001+200988&Ntk=All&Ntt=GIbosn+335&Nty=1

What is correct?

Thank you.

Links aren't working for me' date=' even if I copy/paste the entire thing...[/quote']

Well they work for me, let's try it again..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/gibson-custom-shop-guitars?N=100001+202996&Ntk=All&Ntt=GIbosn+335&Nty=1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/gibson?N=100001+200988&Ntk=All&Ntt=GIbosn+335&Nty=1

(first link is the Custom page)

Here's what I think I know about the current ES-335 production. All ES guitars are now being made at the Memphis plant. Gibson classifies the Memphis plant as part of the Custom Shop, therefore ALL guitars produced at that facility are "custom shop" models according to Gibson.

The reality of the situation (in my opinion), is that this is just simply not the case as far as design, construction and quality of the instrumments coming out of Memphis. I believe the only REAL "custom" 335's are the ones labeled as specific year reissues (195X, 196X, etc.). The others may be labelled as "reissue" or "custom" but they are in fact just the standard production models. If you look at price comparisons from the MF link you posted you will also see a huge difference in price of a few of the models as I explained above.

Funny. Here I am with a ES-335 custom hop dot neck RI in my lab plugged into my '65 Vibrolux Reverb while I work desparately trying to transcribe Blues and Boogie from Wes Montgomery's Full House:).

I literally just toured the Memphis facility last week, and I will tell you it's an artisan shop where practically everything is hand made. When you order a period correct guitar it refers to the neck, look, etc. However the way that the necks are cut, frets are finished, the are sprayed and polished, et al are all the same. This place is like walking into Stickley Furniture's custom shop. It's old school wood working.

Buy the one you like and the price you can afford. BTW - I bought mine at GC (cough cough) during a Labor Day sale and litelly paid $1000 less than it had even been shown. Mine is a burst and a bit heavy; which I like. I will likely put flat wounds on it relatively soon. It is beautiful.

Non-historics have 500k tone pots & 300k volume pots. Historics have 500k, all around. Same as the Les Pauls.

There was a huge thread on this at the Les Paul Forum. They're all technically "Custom Shop" guitars...Nashville & Memphis made. Although, Gibson only has one Custom Shop and that's in Nashville.

Memphis - non historic

Nashville - historic

They're called Custom Shop but the Memphis made ones are equivalent to Gibson USA. It's evident in the 8-digit serial number.

Regarding replacements on my 335, I did replace the bridge with a Tone Pros (who doesn't). Otherwise I get a full, rich tone with very active tone pots pulling out untold numbers of sounds. Also I had my frets professionally dressed within the month I bought it, and I even had a new nut put on. When the produce so many guitars the fit-n-finish stuff like setup is commonplace.

When they produce so many guitars the fit-n-finish stuff like setup is commonplace.

You mean like orange-peel on the neck and scrape marks on the neck binding and file marks on the fretboard?

Archived