Gibson Brands Forums

To pickguard or not to pickguard, that is the question

egoidealmusic

I prefer the look of look of batwings from an aesthetic standpoint - especially when it used on a jumbo body (J-200/J-185).  However, I think regular slopes and smaller guitars such as the J-45 or LG-2 do have more of a charm with the smaller teardrop pickguard.

I have put a batwing on a newerJ-45 studio and the difference in tone was negligible.  Granted, the batwing used was a thinner 0.025" tortoise material. I suspect that guards that use a thicker material like the 2-ply thicker "gel-like" guards  that Gibson used in the past (2015-2018ish) models did have a more profound effect on the sound as there was an ample amount of glue used to attach those guards (Ironic as lot of them suffered from detachment issues).

The tiger striped guards that posted by Dave look very well made and are thinner. The darker tiger looks great but I think the lighter tiger stripe guard would be a real winner on a lighter top . 

Edited by will66

29 minutes ago, Kwlsky said:

This is one ugly guitar. What were they thinking?

I watch a Grand Ole Opry show that was filmed in the 50s (not actually affiliated with the Grand Ole Opry). It's on RFD-TV once a week or so.  About 80% of the featured performers have D-28s and over half of them have horrible nondescript shaped oversized and/or double pickguards. It was like a fad back then, affix a stupid looking guard. I cringe.

4 hours ago, Dave F said:

Still goes on today

SJBDVSGH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

"You could almost think that you're seeing double" 

B. Dylan in When I Paint My Masterpiece approx 1970