Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson now making Taylors?

kazzelectro

Seems to me that Gibson is now producing lower end models in their Canadian plant that compete with Taylor guitars. The Gibson Songmaker series offers all the same ingredients that go into the making of a Taylor. A 3 piece neck, bolt-on instead of dovetail neck joint, bound ebony fretboard, and poly plastic gloss finish (rather than nitro lacquer). The nice thing is that the price for a full gloss finished guitar with solid rosewood or mahogany back and sides is only around $1100 which is miles cheaper than a comparable Taylor. Anyone have a Gibson Songmaker? Your opinion? ....here is an ebay completed auction item no. 150336583834 It even looks like a Taylor.

The Canadian Taylors should probably give the 100 and 200 series Taylors a run for their money. I haven't played one yet but look forward to the chance. I think once you get above the Taylor 200 series which are made in Mexico and use laminate back/sides and start playing those that come from the El Cahone factory in California, you will notice differences in build quality, playability and overall tone.

That said, I just sold a 2006 Taylor GSMC so I could buy a 1964 Gibson LG1. The tone and playability of the Taylor were supurb, but in the end, there is nothing like the tone of an old Kalamazoo USA built Gibby!

Not sure why you would compare to the 100 and 200 series when this series has laminated backs and sides. Not even in the same league in for this reason not to mention the Gibsons have glossed sides and back vs the Taylor satin finish. I am hoping hear from someone who has actually played both or owned both the Songmaker and a Taylor. From specs I would compare the Songmakers to the 300 up to 900 Taylor series.

It's odd. The Canadian Gibsons have been around a while now but I've not seen a post on the acoustic forum from anyone who has one.

I've seen them advertised in the UK but not seen or played one - but I haven't been to a guitar shop for over 6 months either so that hardly surprising.

Personally, I'm very interested to hear an opinion. If and when they make a 12 string in Canada, this could deal with particular GAS issue.

Not sure why you would compare to the 100 and 200 series when this series has laminated backs and sides. Not even in the same league in for this reason not to mention the Gibsons have glossed sides and back vs the Taylor satin finish. I am hoping hear from someone who has actually played both or owned both the Songmaker and a Taylor. From specs I would compare the Songmakers to the 300 up to 900 Taylor series.

My comparison was based on list prices for those models. The Canadian Gibsons are priced very similar to the 100 and 200 series. Maybe a better comparsion might be the Epipone Master built series or the Guild GAD series which are also lower cost solid wood instruments made outside of the US. I just personally don't think you will find a Canadian Gibson that plays as nice as an upper level Taylor. But I have been wrong before. Tone and playability are very personal things and I would be the last to say that a Canadian Gibson won't sound as good as a upper level Taylor. That would be up to you to decide.

I can't compare the two as I have never played a Canadian Gibson, but I do have a 1993 Taylor 612C and a 2005 built Gibson AJ. In all honesty, the Taylor has the better build quality and playability off the rack. Attention to detail is something that Taylor has always been good at. I have upgraded my Gibson with bone pins and a K & K mini western pickup but had to have the action at the nut and saddle adjusted by my Luthier. I rarely, if ever, pick up a new Taylor where the setup needs tweaking.

I will say that I personally think that the upper level Taylors (500 and up series) will use a better grade of wood but yes, you will pay more for the Taylor name on the headstock just like you would for a Bozeman built Gibson over a Canadian built one.

I've seen a few of these around town , but have had no desire to play one, for some reason. There just don't "visually" do it for me!

Personally, I would look to the Epi Masterbilt line.

That's just me!!

The Canadian Gibsons are good guitars. TOTALLY different vibe to the Bozeman guitars, mind you. Very Tayloresque indeed, both in a structural sense, and in terms of finish, tone and feel.

I am a fussy player to say the least, but I would play one.

I have played the Canadian Gibsons a couple of times - when they were first out, and again about a year later. I thought they improved considerably in the interim; however, they're a good $800 guitar for $1100. They're different than the Epi Masterbuilts, but if/when I get my "road" guitar it will be hard to spend twice as much just to have "Gibson" on the headstock.

As far as playability off the shelf goes I completely disagree with the notion that Bozeman Gibsons today have any set up problems, nor do they have consistency problems. I frequent the shops regularly and I have own and played a lot of Gibson and I would conclude that there are no major issues to worry about. If you want lower action then set it up that way...most shops offer a free set up when you buy from them. In fact I have picked up several Taylors and found the action to be off ..usually too low which resulted in buzzing when played. So let's not start taking about consistency issues because I am sure that the folks in the know...know that they do not exist...or not more so than any other manufacturer. I agree that you'd pay more for a Bozeman Gibson vs. a Canadian Gibson...and rightfully so because the Bozemans are superior having lacquer finishes, dovetail joints and one piece necks. The Canadian Gibson is built just like a Taylor...but they cost much less. This is my point.

I played both the Canadian and the Bozeman Gibbys side by side at our local store. The canadian guitars out shine the USA guitars in fit and finish.....but the The USA Gibbys have that sound....THAT sound.....The canadian Gibbys are only a few hundred less than the USA made ones. I would easily get a USA one, save for a while longer and be happier in the long run. AND I am a Canadian....lol....but loyalty stops at sound...gotta have that sound...

Ain't nothing like a real Bozeman Gibson guitar. The ONLY sound! My Grandfather always told me "you get what you pay for"!'nuff said!

100% agree with you... Bozeman has built a reputation as a quality built solid wood Gibson maker and Taylor has also built that same reputation. Once Gibson/Canada gets up to speed, who knows maybe they will price their solid wood guitars similar to Gibson and Taylor US products, until then, I am still unconvinced that one would match the tone and playability of either a Bozeman Gibson or an El Cahone California Taylor. You do get what you pay for with either of those two companies. I love both and really couldn't choose who does a better job. To me each guitar really is different.... (Buy the ones that speak to you!) :-#

Kazz, I don't think TP was knocking the Canuck Gibbies per se, just saying that he would have to be convinced of the quality and tone of them by trying one out, before proclaiming that a guitar from the Garrison factory is as good as a Bozeman Gibson or El Cahone Taylor.

I think the Canadian Gibsons are very good, perhaps a mite overpriced (they're not much cheaper than a standard J45 over here), but a different flavour and a lot of fun.

Incidentally, the Songmaker I played had Satin back and sides.

Perhaps I am be a little harsh..apologies. It's clear to me that Gibson is manufacturing these Songmaker guitars not to compete with Bozeman but to offer a less expensive alternative. Gibson discontinued their WM and Songwriter series guitar which was the scaled down versions of a J-45 and the Songwriter Deluxe. The Songmaker line I gather was created to offer a less expensive alternative to Bozeman Gibsons. Why would one expect that this product is not up to speed? The prices for used models are sub $1000 on ebay and they look awesome. I'd really love to get my hands on one. The other point I am making is that they basically have adopted Bob's (Taylor's) method of guitar construction. Sounds like an awesome deal and I wanted some feedback in this regard. Kazz

I think they're good guitars...they're a lot cheaper in the US than here in the UK where, as I mentioned, they are just a shade under the price of a Mahogany J45MC, which, for me, would be the choice.

The Songmakers are very good though, well made and nice sounding and playing. As I said, I am one of the fussiest players out there, and have played for a living, doing 200 or so shows a year, for the last 5 or 6 years, and I would happily take one of the electro Songmakers out on tour.

Finally got a chance to play a Garrison (for those that don't know Gibson took over Garrison's factory in Canada). I noticed that the neck on the Garrison looks very much like the Gibson neck on their Canadian models...seems like they are utilizing a lot of the Garrison building techniques with respect to the 3 piece neck and the bolt-on. The bracing of course is different as Garrisons had a type of plastic bracing and the new Gibsons are scalloped wood braces. I've heard several people and reviews comment on the sound being very much like a Taylor. Look forward to trying one out as the used pricing is very attractive for a solid wood guitar.

I bought the Gibson CSM- CE today. This is the Canadian Gibson songmaker. I played it yesterday in a music shop and I really liked the crunchy, punchy sound. I was looking for a grand concert body to replace a Taylor 310 CE which I was finding difficult to play due to elbow and shoulder pain. I took the guitar home today and at first was a bit disappointed due to fret buzz on the low E string. Also, frustrating was that it kept going out of tune. that was probalby just new strings stretching. Anyway, I brought it back to the store and the tech made an adjustment. I have played it for 30 minutes tonight and now it sounds like it did when i originally played it in the store. Very enjoyable sound. Pretty loud and punchy for a grand concert model. I think i will be very happy with this guitar, but i will update this thread as so many of you had never heard from anyone who was actually playing one of thes.

• 5 months later...

Finally got a chance to get my hands on the Gibson Songmaker which they now carry at the Long & McQuade store in town....and they truly are just like Taylors. I played a CSM and a DSM ...a dreadnaught and OM sized guitar both with mahogany back and sides.

They even look like Taylors...I walked past these two guitars the first time thinking they were Taylors. These two models are most like the 300 series that Taylor produces...gloss spruce top and satin magohany back and sides. Perhaps the Taylors are made with sapele (less desirable to most). I thought the guitar played well, was nicely finished and sounded pretty decent (every bit as good as a Taylor)...but the most impressive thing was the pirce...the CSM at $899 Cdn and the DSM at $999Cdn. Pretty good value for a solid wood guitar with the name Gibson on it...and a whole lot less than money than a 300 series Taylor. In fact they are priced more in line with Taylor's 200 series that have laminated back and sides. If you're buying in the $1000 range I'd recommend take a look at the Gibson Songmaker.

Finally got a chance to get my hands on the Gibson Songmaker which they now carry at the Long & McQuade store in town....and they truly are just like Taylors. I played a CSM and a DSM ...a dreadnaught and OM sized guitar both with mahogany back and sides.

They even look like Taylors...I walked past these two guitars the first time thinking they were Taylors. These two models are most like the 300 series that Taylor produces...gloss spruce top and satin magohany back and sides. Perhaps the Taylors are made with sapele (less desirable to most). I thought the guitar played well' date=' was nicely finished and sounded pretty decent (every bit as good as a Taylor)...but the most impressive thing was the pirce...the CSM at $899 Cdn and the DSM at $999Cdn. Pretty good value for a solid wood guitar with the name Gibson on it...and a whole lot less than money than a 300 series Taylor. In fact they are priced more in line with Taylor's 200 series that have laminated back and sides. If you're buying I'd recommend take a look at the Gibson Songmakering[/quote']

Sounds like you liked them.... did you get one?

I played one awhile back and the one I tried didn't impress me at all. I had an Epi AJ-500M that was twice the guitar this one was. Now I'm the first to admit, could have been this particular one. There might be some better ones out there. I hear all the time about how bad 70s' Gibsons are and I wouldn't trade my '74 J-50 for anything I've heard.

Unless some major change happened at the factory when Gibson took over, the quality of the Canadian guitars isn't due to "new" workers. Gibson took over Garrison - for a while, they were even modifying the Garrison headstock to be almost-shaped like Gibson's. When they ran out of Garrison parts, they started cutting their own headstock.

...would I purchase one? As I mentioned I think they are good value for a solid wood guitar under $1000...but I wouldn't buy one because they are not built like Bozeman Gibsons..rather they employ cheaper manufacturing methods (like Taylors) to produce a guitar that fits into a very competitive sub $1000 price range. If $1000 was my budget and I had to choose from an Alvarez, Yamaha, Blueridge or dozens of other Asian imports that have poly finishes and 3 piece necks (cheaper manufacturing) I'd take the Gibson.

Archived