Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson now making Taylors?

kazzelectro

I do not like the Songmakers (or Songwriters). I'd like to think Gibson can do well making Gibson guitars and let Taylor make Taylor guitars. But I guess that's not the case.

That's fair enough bkharmony but once again your post implies they are similar. The 2 things common to the Songmaker and Songwriter are the words "Gibson" and "Song". They are totally different.

It's great to see some objective appaisal of the Songmaker series which still remains a bit of a mystery. They retail for about half the price of a Songwriter over here. As has been said, there is a lot of competition in that mid market so they are going to have to be good to succeed.

That's fair enough bkharmony but once again your post implies they are similar. The 2 things common to the Songmaker and Songwriter are the words "Gibson" and "Song". They are totally different.

It's great to see some objective appaisal of the Songmaker series which still remains a bit of a mystery. They retail for about half the price of a Songwriter over here. As has been said' date=' there is a lot of competition in that mid market so they are going to have to be good to succeed.[/quote']

Sorry if that sounded snobby. I don't mean to be dismissive. Obviously, Gibson can build what it wants, and I want them to stay competitive so they continue to make the guitars I like. That said, I thought that Epiphones - particularly the Masterbilt series - were supposed to cover that highly competitive, low margin mid-range.

If Gibson simply goes where the money is, they run the risk of losing their identity, and that's what really bothers me. If they start building too many $1000 guitars to compete with low-end Taylors and Martins (which are particularly poor representations of the brand IMHO), then what's the point in being GIbson any more? Aren't we then in Norlin 2: Electric Boogaloo?

Ultimately, if one loves their guitar, that's all that matters. I just worry that the Gibson as we know it now could cease to be (it's happened before).

BKH, why do you say:

"I do not like the Songmakers (or Songwriters). I'd like to think Gibson can do well making Gibson guitars and let Taylor make Taylor guitars. But I guess that's not the case."

Is it being implied that the Songwriters are Gibson's attempt at copying the Taylor style? I'm confused? I have a CL-30, which seems to be the daddy of the modern Songwriter deluxe, and it plays like a Gibson, no Taylor hinted at all.

I played a CSM and a DSM ...a dreadnaught and OM sized guitar both with a satin finish mahogany back and sides today at a

L&M store in the Toronto area .

If I was looking for a guitar at the 900$ price point I would have the DSM on

my shortlist. Didn't care for the CSM

Neither had the "Gibson sound" that a Kalamazoo or Bozeman made guitar has,but

I think they are nice alternative in their price range.

Any yes I thought they were a little Taylor souding.(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

Trust your ears,fingers and heart to choose your guitar,and maybe the guitar will choose you....](*,)

Well....those Canadians have EH-1 quality' date=' eh??!!![/quote']

eh-1. lol. good name for a store or a brand, etc....

my two cents here. i played the songmakers @ L&M here yesterday as they are featured in a month-long promo. the store i go to stocked 5 of them for the promo and sold 3 immediately. just to get that gibby logo for $1000 bucks cheaper is enticement enough i suppose. the two that were left were the grand concert and dread. i was instantly reminded of taylors when i played them. identical, actually. the sound, the feel; they had that bouncy, spongy bass feel with a plinky kind of treble side similar to the 300 & 400 series taylors. the necks are thin and have a point at the heel that i found kind of annoying. i'm not a fan of satin finish, either. on a positive note, if you were in the taylor market, you could get that signature sound with a gibson headstock for a few hundred less. gibson is a competative company and would certainly like a slice of the intermediate market pie and as top-line models get pricier it opens up a gap between them and the entry level. all said, i think one's dollar value would be better served buying a used top-line gibson.

Archived