Gibson Brands Forums

Busted SJ200 case handle…any tips for replacement?

Jinder

At my gig yesterday evening, as I set out to leave, the handle broke off my SJ200 case!

Thankfully I managed to catch the case and crisis was averted, but I now need to find some way of replacing the handle. I’ve owned the guitar from new since 2016 and I’ve taken it all over the world with me, so any warranty that may have been in place regarding the case will be well and truly expired.

It’s the case with the softer leather covered handle rather than the hard plastic unit.

Any tips on how I can obtain a replacement and how to fit it?

Glad you caught the case so there was no damage to the guitar.

Where, exactly, did it break? Did the plate that anchors the handle to the case come off? Or did the handle part break, leaving the plate intact?

Would this work?
https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/leather-replacement-handle-w-buckles-for-guitar-case

Edited by dhanners623

Some years back the combination lock/latch on my AJ case broke. After some research I found that TKL had an office in Virginia. I called them, described the problem and the sold me a new one over the phone. When i got it I took the case and new lock to a local shop that repairs luggage. The did a great repair job and no issues since.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I think I need to find a luggage repair shop!

They also did shoe repair but the guy did a really good job. And when he saw the name Gibson on the case, eyes got wide and he wanted to know all about the guitar. However I don’t think he had any idea what an AJ was.

Just now, J185cat said:

They also did shoe repair but the guy did a really good job. And when he saw the name Gibson on the case, eyes got wide and he wanted to know all about the guitar. However I don’t think he had any idea what an AJ was.

Thanks... when I looked up luggage repair, they listed a bunch of shoe repair places..... I'll have to call some.....but I thought the latch was pretty common....but you had to buy a latch from TLK....so I need to research that.....

Yeah, back in the day we could bring cases into any luggage repair place.  Chalk that one up to another experience from a bygone era.   Luggage repair guys have gone the way of the tube testers you would see sitting in front of counters in any Sears and any hardware store.

Edited by zombywoof

8 hours ago, Jinder said:

At my gig yesterday evening, as I set out to leave, the handle broke off my SJ200 case!

Thankfully I managed to catch the case and crisis was averted, but I now need to find some way of replacing the handle. I’ve owned the guitar from new since 2016 and I’ve taken it all over the world with me, so any warranty that may have been in place regarding the case will be well and truly expired.

It’s the case with the softer leather covered handle rather than the hard plastic unit.

Jinder,

I love fixing things like that, the best part of the exercise being figuring out how to do it. I find it to be very theraputic.

If I lived nearby, I'd do it for you just for the fun of it.

Hope you have good luck getting it repaired.

RBSinTo

I had the problem and went to the local leather-smith - a shoemaker. He kept my purple plush 1965 Gibson case for a loooong time and when I re-contacted him the answer was :

"Have patience, something is on its way." 

Hereby take this thread as an opportunity to show what the good man came up with ~

5cmTdHK.jpg

Still very grateful. . 

16 hours ago, zombywoof said:

tube testers you would see sitting in front of counters in any Sears and any hardware store.

I remember those, but nobody else around here does.

They're just "young faking"....

• Haha 1

Thanks all! 

I’m looking into ordering one of the replacement handles with buckles-it’s an in line fitment so that should buckle straight up to it. 

Eventually I’ll park this case in favour of a nice lightweight SKB or Calton, but a fix ej have to do for now. Thankyou for your help and advice!

18 hours ago, Jinder said:

Thanks all! 

I’m looking into ordering one of the replacement handles with buckles-it’s an in line fitment so that should buckle straight up to it. 

Eventually I’ll park this case in favour of a nice lightweight SKB or Calton, but a fix ej have to do for now. Thankyou for your help and advice!

Glad you’ve got a solution!

Not sure of their availability outside the US, but check out Crossrock cases. They are the poor man’s Calton. Got one (in yellow!) for my D-18 clone and it survived being checked as baggage just fine. VERY well built, sturdy fiberglass, and they have TSA locks. They cost less than a Calton. https://www.crossrockcase.com

On edit, it appears Crossrock cases are available through Amazon UK.

Edited by dhanners623

On 4/11/2022 at 9:25 AM, Jinder said:

Gibson has Lifetime Guarantee on their Guitars if owned by the original Purchaser. I’d call & see if the Case is Covered as it was part of your New Purchase…

Edited by Larsongs