Gibson Brands Forums

EMG vs Seymour Duncan

DaHooomie

Ok, I'll play.

Seymour Duncan P-Rails.

Why? Because you can get single coil sound, P-90 sound, and Humbucking sound from one pick-up. Put these into the neck and bridge position they connect them with the Triple Shot Pick-up rings add in a push/pull phase in one tone spot and a push/pull in another tone to place them in series and you suddenly have more options that the Jimmy Page wireing.

Versitility is the reason.

Ok' date=' I'll play.

Seymour Duncan P-Rails.

Why? Because you can get single coil sound, P-90 sound, and Humbucking sound from one pick-up. Put these into the neck and bridge position they connect them with the Triple Shot Pick-up rings add in a push/pull phase in one tone spot and a push/pull in another tone to place them in series and you suddenly have more options that the Jimmy Page wireing.

+1

I have a P-Rail in the bridge position of my SG Standard and I love it. The P-90 sound is amazing, and so is the Hot Rail. The big surprise was the humbucker setting. It sounded juicy and full, and it actually sounded better than most humbuckers I've tried. Great pickup. Especially since you get insane versatility without sacrificing tone or going digital.

I also have a Seymour Duncan Alnico II humbucker in the neck and it sounds great. I'm going to get it replaced with a P-Rail soon, but only because the P-Rail is so tasty sounding.

I've recently been thinking about going to a luthier to have it routed for a middle pickup to put a third P-Rail in. The tonal options would be INSANE.

Overall Seymour Duncan offers great high and low end pickups that sound amazing and don't cost too much. Great company.

Ok' date=' I'll play.

Seymour Duncan P-Rails.

:-$ It might be because I'm sick, but that was complicated. My head!

Funny how so many working career artist don't agree with most of you, and it's really funny how some people who claim to not like active pickups will go nuts over pre-amping, which is darn close to going active.

There's really no way to compare the two, as they are so different in their workings. I like both, and see no gain in being a "passive snob", no more than I would ever be a PAF snob, which are grossly overrated.

Funny how so many working career artist don't agree with most of you' date=' and it's really funny how some people who claim to not like active pickups will go nuts over pre-amping, which is darn close to going active.

There's really no way to compare the two, as they are so different in their workings. I like both, and see no gain in being a "passive snob", no more than I would ever be a PAF snob, which are grossly overrated.[/quote']

If you like emgs thats great. I think they sound sterile and cold. But If you play metal its great. I just dont like one trick ponies.

Funny how so many working career artist don't agree with most of you' date=' and it's really funny how some people who claim to not like active pickups will go nuts over pre-amping, which is darn close to going active.

There's really no way to compare the two, as they are so different in their workings. I like both, and see no gain in being a "passive snob", no more than I would ever be a PAF snob, which are grossly overrated.[/quote']

I love the sound of Active Pick Ups, but for an Active Musician without a Guitar Tech, batteries in your guitar SUCK!

Archived