Gibson Brands Forums

Need an opinion for the correct price of a J45

Max_mtd

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and have read many of the threads which I have found very helpful.
I need some advice, I would like to buy a used 2014 Gibson J45 Custom but I'm not sure if the price is right.  I would also trade in my 1999 Gibson Les Paul standard dc which was valued at €1200 (more or less $1300) and again I wouldn't know if the valuation is within parameters or the value is different.
If anyone feels like taking a look I would be grateful.
Below is the link:

https://www.rrguitars.it/product-page/gibson-j-45-custom-vs-2014

If you go to the website for REVERB -  and search for J45s,  you'll get a good variety to look at and match as closely as possible to the one you're interested in.   Note - there are MANY different versions of the J45 Model.  Make sure you know if yours is a 'standard'  or is one of the variations on the theme. And, of course, condition matters.  G'Luck. 

Hi,

thanks for the answer.... ?'ve already had a look at reverb but did not find a similar to compare the price.

I've seen that there are a lot of J45 Standard at a price from 1500 to over 2000 but i don't know the difference in price from a J45 Standard and a J45 Custom (that is the one that i've found at the price of about 2600$(used), the conditions seems to be really good, you can see it in the link that i've attached in the first thread. I'll go to see and try it on Tuesday.

Hi - Only way forward is to search and compare. Then again you don't have all the time on earth. 

Did you this thread. The member got for 2 kilos in 15  - that's 7 years ago. 

Let's hear what happens, , , , and why you go for rosewood. . 

8 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Hi - Only way forward is to search and compare. Then again you don't have all the time on earth. 

Did you this thread. The member got for 2 kilos in 15  - that's 7 years ago. 

Let's hear what happens, , , , and why you go for rosewood. . 

Hi,

yes i've read a lot of topics about j45 and j45 custom and i think that if the dealer would cut a bit the price would be on the right way.

I've just found another one that is almost perfect but is from 2016 so know i'm trying to understand if would be better to take the 2014 with a really slightly scratch or the 2016 that is perfect.

I'm looking after the differences between the two years and then if is nearly the same i will try them and decide. Not sure if i could try the one from 2016.

I think that rosewood gives a warmer and rounded sound.....

14 hours ago, Max_mtd said:

Hi,

yes i've read a lot of topics about j45 and j45 custom and i think that if the dealer would cut a bit the price would be on the right way.

I've just found another one that is almost perfect but is from 2016 so know i'm trying to understand if would be better to take the 2014 with a really slightly scratch or the 2016 that is perfect.

I'm looking after the differences between the two years and then if is nearly the same i will try them and decide. Not sure if i could try the one from 2016.

I think that rosewood gives a warmer and rounded sound.....

My bid is that they are the same spec-wise - but may have quite different souls. Thus a very good idea to play them both if possible. 

And yes, rosewood can be warm and mighty at the same time. Personally see it as an ever intriguing game to fiddle'n'figure the nuances between rose, hog, maple.                                                                                               Actually feel like having broken the code without finding a winner. And that realizing this is the 🏆 itself. 

• Like 1

I had this model. A very attractive guitar. It did not satisfy my J45 Rosewood quest. I also had the Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce Rosewood that didn’t do it.  I recently got one of the newer ‘42 Banner SJ Rosewood.  It’s filling the Rosewood J slot.      

Edited by Dave F

Hi guys, i've been in the shop to have a look and try the one from 2014, it sound great even if the string have been changed with a smaller scale that in my opinion is not the right choise. The scratch on the front it's bigger than what it supposed to be and the price in those condition a think it's to hight.

If i'm lucky this evening I can go to try the one from 2016 if not i'll go on Thursday and if will sound the same or better i'll go for the 2016s. I don't like the truss rod cover with "2016" on it but it's not what will stop me to buy it if it's all as i hope!!!!!

I'll keep you up to date.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi, 

finally i've got her. Very nice and near mint condition I love the sound . The only thing is that i find the action a little bit high, specially from the 8th fret. But i think that is how should be.

Very thanks to all of you for the precious advice that with all the other topic on the forum helped me alot.

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

• Like 1

You have excellent taste.   Full Disclosure:  I have one that looks identical !     Mine is Koa though, and has an Orange Label.  I guess  they ran out of the white ones  that day.   Don't see '2015 on the TRCover.  I read that the extra-fancy abalone headstock decoration was designed by Ren shortly before he jumped ship.    It's clearly a 'forever' guitar.  G'Luck ! 

• Like 1

Yes!!! I also think that it's a forever guitar!!!! A lot of guitar from the same year with different label color.
On the TRCover there is 2016 (i had to reduce the quality of the photo to upload it on the forum) but if i look in to the serial number seems that the guitar is been made in October 2015 (1st and 5th number and so on for the month), also on the inspection card there is reported 2015 but i guess that the were already producing the 2016s (can someone confirm it?) i also remember if i'm not wrong that on 2015 the TRCover reported "Custom" on it as in 2014.Also read that 2016 was a great year of production. I love the fancy abalone headstock but i think that is a metter of taste.

Edited by Max_mtd