Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Gibson cj 165 original?

Andy The Handy

I had that year/model and from what little you’ve shown it looks legit. The sharp frets are not a qc issue, someone allowed the guitar to get a little dried out which will cause this. I see the pick guard is not on the guitar which was the same as I received mine.  The faint stamping is a good sign of authenticity. Fakers miss this feature. Good luck. 

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave F said:

I had that year/model and from what little you’ve shown it looks legit. The sharp frets are not a qc issue, someone allowed the guitar to get a little dried out which will cause this. I see the pick guard is not on the guitar which was the same as I received mine.  The faint stamping is a good sign of authenticity. Fakers miss this feature. Good luck. 

Thank you very much. What do you think would be a fair price for this? There is a big wall accident mark on the headstock you can partly see on the photo above the faded serial. Thank you. 

Is "Rosewoo" how it would have been written instead of "Rosewood"???  Also, it may be that the guitar is just extremely dried out (many other signs of that), but it looks like the bridge was removed and glued back improperly.  Good friend of mine has a J-35 that a GC butchered on repair that looks just like that. 😞

5 hours ago, Andy The Handy said:

Thank you very much. What do you think would be a fair price for this? There is a big wall accident mark on the headstock you can partly see on the photo above the faded serial. Thank you. 

Used prices are crazy right now. I sold mine for $1500 about 3 years ago. That's what they were selling for at that time. I looked on Reverb but they do not have enough data.

I did find one on EBay that sold a couple months ago that was listed for $2050 but sold for undisclosed best offer so it went for less. Listed as great condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133979478101?hash=item1f31cc9855%3Ag%3A0nYAAOSwHSdhzh~n&nma=true&si=gydD2IFVjo7Xmego65ziAN1DnPU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This is absolutely a real CJ 165! Congrats on a fine guitar, I recently got the same one, a 2007 Rosewood model in sunburst. I was initially in the market for an original LG-2 but I stopped my search after falling in love with this one. 

Mine came without a pickguard but Dave was generous enough to send me the correct batwing pickguard for the guitar. 

The "Rosewoo" is probably just a minor typo on Gibson's part. Yes, the guitar that Andy posted looks very dried out hence the chipped fret ends, I would be worried about any cracks in the soundboard. The rosewood models with the ebony bridges (and fretboard) have a very common issue of the nitro finish lifting slightly around the upper edge of the bridge, but they are structurally sound.