Gibson Brands Forums

I installed a Bigsby with the Vibramate plate on my SG last week....

fartz

cool deal brotha. I saw these at the NAMM show and the guy at the booth was trying so hard to get me to buy one but Im concerned that it would leave some sort imprint or mark where the pad is. Anyone who has an SG knows that it scratches if you breathe on it wrong. But I think it's a cool idea and I plan to install one on a future SG but the one i've got now is just too special too me.

I swear my SG is just different. I've never played another guitar that I thought played better. I've played a vintage SG custom that was pretty close but not quite as good. I'm always saying it's the best. The neck is like sheer pefection. I love Gibson!!!!

very cool!

so let me get this straight... i can add a Bigsby to my ES-339 with no mods / or extra holes?

this is fantastic!!!

Google Vibramate. It was $54 and make sure you get the short kit that is for SG's. Works great. You can't go wild on the bar or you'll be outta tune. I guess that goes with any vibrato, tho.

thanks for the compliments, guys. I knew this would be the place where it would be appreciated.

That's the first picture I've seen with the shorter arm on the Vibramate. I plan to put one and a B5 on my SG soon (as a matter of fact, I bought the SG with the intention of installing a Bigsby -- that's the only thing I miss about my '63 Country Gent).

Yours looks very good.

That's the first picture I've seen with the shorter arm on the Vibramate. I plan to put one and a B5 on my SG soon (as a matter of fact' date=' I bought the SG with the intention of installing a Bigsby -- that's the only thing I miss about my '63 Country Gent).

Yours looks very good. [/quote']

Thanks bro. It adds a cool, hefty feel to it. It so easy to install and don't believe the reviews about it being too hard to install new strings. After you wrap the string over the bridge, clip a capo on to keep the string from falling off the post where the eye connectgs.

I'm impressed that those things work so well, and the cover up the nasty stopbar holes beautifully. Very cool! Almost makes me wanna' go pick up a stop-tail '61 Reissue so's I can make me a "Mick Taylor" model. :P

H-Bomb

Cool setup - I like having a trem.

...You can't go wild on the bar or you'll be outta tune. I guess that goes with any vibrato' date=' tho...[/quote']

As far as returning to pitch: Big Bends Nut Sauce helps the strings not bind in the nut, and some on your bridge saddles (or a roller bridge). Yep, Nut Sauce baby.

Cool setup - I like having a trem.

As far as returning to pitch: Big Bends Nut Sauce helps the strings not bind in the nut' date=' and some on your bridge saddles (or a roller bridge). Yep, Nut Sauce baby.

[/quote']

Excellent, I will check that nut sauce out, thanks!

I can't tell from your picture, but do you have a newer model Vibramate with a shorter leg on the low E side? I bought a Vibramate last fall to put on my SG Standard, but Vibramate's leg extended over the SG's pickguard. I decided not to mod the pickguard, since I wasn't sure the Bigsby was going to stay, and put it on my LP Special instead.

Edit:

Oh, just read the other posts. I guess I should have done that first! I saw the picture and hit Reply immediately.

So' date=' now that youve had it a bit, how do you like it? does it change the tone much? would you recommend it to someone whos not sure if theyll use it that much (i have a strat for going wham happy)?[/quote']

I really like it but you can't go wild on it. It does seem to knock it out of tune if you use it a lot. I can't really tell much of a difference in tone tho. Some have said they get more sustain but I can't tell. I like the looks and have the choice to add a little vibrato to the end of a note. If you really like the look of it and want vibrato, I'd recommend it.

Thanks. 2 last questions before i pull the trigger on one: i assume it adds some weight' date=' is it good weight or bad weight? It looks to me like the added height might affect the way the case lid closes, have you noticed anything like that?[/quote']

Good weight for sure. When you are going to put the guitar in the case, you turn the bar down so it faces the bottom of the case. No problem there either.

cool deal brotha. I saw these at the NAMM show and the guy at the booth was trying so hard to get me to buy one but Im concerned that it would leave some sort imprint or mark where the pad is. Anyone who has an SG knows that it scratches if you breathe on it wrong. But I think it's a cool idea and I plan to install one on a future SG but the one i've got now is just too special too me.

I swear my SG is just different. I've never played another guitar that I thought played better. I've played a vintage SG custom that was pretty close but not quite as good. I'm always saying it's the best. The neck is like sheer pefection. I love Gibson!!!!

Funny ... I think I was harassed by the same dude at the Guitar Show here in Dallas this past weekend. Problem is, he totally sold me and now I can't keep my mind off it. Gonna put away 30 bucks a week for the next month or so and WILL BE BUYING the Vibramate and a B5.

Archived