Gibson Brands Forums

The Bigby pedal, about time!?!

jaxson50

7 minutes ago, jaxson50 said:

First I hear about it, I wish these websites would quit recycling old stories.

So feel free to send the guitar Nazis  to put me down like an old horse

Well I have done it many times and am still alive to tell the story  🙂 I was just letting you know...

But yeah. These have been out a while now and no one really talks about them. I seem to remember them being REALLY expensive.

• Like 1

Think so but maybe not quite the same.

In video at just after 2 min he says you can rock your foot forward and back - but he doesn't demonstrate that, so it's not clear.

IMO some pretty useful features - octave up/down and other intervals so it functions as a harmonizer, a whammy and can also be a tremolo (as in amp trem) pedal.

Probably the best thing about it is that it's always completely in tune!  [thumbup]  I have a guitar with a Bigsby and it's a classic (ic**ic) effect but can be a PITA.   

Fascinating to think of the simple crude-but-ingenious original design of the Bigsby trem compared with all the thought and research that must have gone into developing this digital counterpart.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

When I tired of my Floyd Rose equipped guitars and started on my hardtail path with my SG-X, I found I missed having a little dive. So I got a 1st gen DigiTech Whammy pedal that's very simple to use and reliable. The Detune Shallow or Deep function makes for a killer variable pedal speed controlled Chorus or Leslie. Tried some of the upgraded versions, but kept going back to the 1st gen.

fqj9gqag0tsx65kc9ybr.jpg

Since I first started using the DigiTech pedal I have also converted to totally using P90 guitars which do not usually come equipped with the ability to dive. Then I found the very simple Duesenberg Les Trem II which equips several of my guitars.

MTDjKBA.jpg

I would like to try the Bigsby pedal, but no one on my island seems to have one.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Not sure if I was more attracted to the Bigsby or the the Revstar..

The Revstar has become very respected over the years. I may well try one out if I get the opportunity. Frankly, I dont much like the look of them, but they're not ugly either. 

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

The Revstar has become very respected over the years. I may well try one out if I get the opportunity. Frankly, I dont much like the look of them, but they're not ugly either. 

I am finding myself strangely drawn to them, I think sparquelito got one not too long ago.

SOUTH-COAST-MUSIC-REVSTAR-RS502T-BL-BLAC

A nice thing I noticed about the Bigsby pedal is that it centers for off position, meaning press forward to increase pitch and rock back to dive. My DigiTech back was off forward was selected effect.

Edited by mihcmac

I like the look of the Revstar.  Some of them have that tailpiece, some have Bigsbys and others have a standard stop bar.

This is Yamaha UK -

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_guitars/rs/lineup.html

I've always liked Yamaha products as (generally) they 'do what it says on the tin'.   My 1st decent guitar was a FG-180 acoustic which cost me £30 in 1975 - they go for hundreds now.  My stand-alone MIDI sequencer was a QX5 I think.   And I loved my Q2031 graphic EQ.

Recently I bought a Yamaha integrated amp for my hi-fi stereo.

Edited by jdgm

I think I would like a P90 version with a stopbar so I could easily install my preferred Duesenberg Trem., or I could just try one with a Bigsby. I notice too that there is a Pro level as well.

header_lineup_88cf6a6e77b0c687b4e291d749

Edited by mihcmac