Gibson Brands Forums

The real problem with the Gibson Firestripe pickguard....

Mr.Woody

So, I do really like the looks of the modern firestripe pickguard (the more recent ones, not the caramel swirl form the mid-2000's), but I've figured out the main issue with them that stops them from looking great: It's the glue........  (rubber cement?) It's not evenly dispersed, and it doesn't stay put. It should be clear/invisible when applied correctly. The pickguard itself is a mix of dark opaque and se-through amber which allows the wood grain show through in the amber spots. This SHOULD make the top of the pickguard kinda fade into the burst instead of standing out on it. BUT the glue stops this from working as planned.  Here's 2 pictures of mine. The first one is from the day after I bought it in 2019, and the second is recent. It looks like the glue is failing some over-time (it's a Gibson?).

AM-JKLV7GITGoxly4uP_uu_EKnxPnbdy7K70dJGbmlgjS7vLXD06BxoN9i8Nr00Ea472fN1MncuhmyXicuTC5NAwapYWnaStrPl33aMXb3D16foCheL0Pyh9YT5hho08t4pLIQ9QBgPM0l-gWoVv2lWQA0fhrA=w2711-h1524-no?authuser=0

AM-JKLUNfWSPDJagjh4rd8DQ7_yf0VrZGAsFrsC9iLZNA-JnwPQA9p-PWZjqDFFTSYQKDEmQutB6lhOt0CJA8AdTkrAY0cayDdmnPGchNYeDKeRdSoj8FwqORyfNa3GG9IZkZGX5fwCnuYks3t200D08qfj4-Q=w1143-h1524-no?authuser=0

So, here's a couple up-close shots, and you can see the glue underneath the guard. The left side is how it usually looks, and the right is the same section after pressing down hard on it for a few seconds. It's MUCH darker in those little splotches where the glue "disappears" when the guard/glue/wood are together as they should be.

AM-JKLX_9iUAZGqFOOPIGPyS-RZF2IHbMiHPKHzIWR3teeOsn-1GKz22dcgzghC4Ql8XCuYrrxOp6lzqk7WZxRBt1NfNsPV5i5rFgusHjMx-sIPPvILTQ3YbNysb5Ejp_R9vghna3Ez6f_zmLFcT6-HMGTvK0Q=s1524-no?authuser=0

The glue is very pliable, and I was able to remove and re-position the guard after I bought it, as it was cut a little crooked on the end, and positioned a little off-kilter. It's also true that perhaps I caused this problem myself by removing the guard to fix it in the first place?

AM-JKLXxa0T91QgmvlAiD17bL-wW9yKv6jl-wbrxkc4BfQiQwrxa_2mPUSXbpJl3Q6ckqeBWgdQkSkn0PG4qDfVfU---2Ee9SIjBZzRFAsTad5BxpkAmXdKx1j0OkRtyx8URt340dD2jcjxy0MVchehns89qAw=w2033-h1524-no?authuser=0

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this? pull the guard, roll the glue off ( it comes off pretty easily) and put some new glue on the whole thing?

I'm sure it would look killer if it was all just pressed down nicely, maybe even better than it did when new!

Thanks,

Mr.Woody

If it was me and it comes off easy, take it off, get the glue off guitar and guard,  clean it with Naphtha, put some 3M double sided clear transparent on the guard and re-apply. There's a few threads on this subject. Handy tips like using dental floss soaked in Naphtha to get the guard off and using painters tape like a hinge to position the guard.  Good Luck!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dave F said:

If it was me and it comes off easy, take it off, get the glue off guitar and guard,  clean it with Naphtha, put some 3M double sided clear transparent on the guard and re-apply. There's a few threads on this subject. Handy tips like using dental floss soaked in Naphtha to get the guard off and using painters tape like a hinge to position the guard.  Good Luck!

wow, that's a GREAT idea. Does the double sided tape come in pieces large enough to cover the whole guard? And is it removable after that if needed?

I would try to put double sided tape strips underneath the black striped portions of the guard only, and leave the transparent bits unglued.  This should still give plenty of adhesion, but if it starts to lift in a few years, you can just do it again. You can also use tiny drops of soft kids glue under black sections in strategic areas, such as the tip and around the edges.

Another suggestion is to paint the back of the guard matching the color of your guitar, before applying the double sided tape. Here you won't of course see the wood grain, but apart from that it will look very natural. I have done this by using acrylic paint mixed to create a crude burst pattern going from light to dark. 

Here is a firestripe guard I painted. The guard is of a different kind but the problem with the adhesive showing through the guard was the same.

IMG_0336

Edited by Lars68
  • Like 1

From the looks of the strum marks, you might need a double guard, the ultimate aberration.  Your pick should never scrape the top.

Sorry, boys...my pet peeve again.  Nothing looks more beautiful than a guard-free guitar.  Naptha off the glue, toss the cheezee plastic in the trash and forget it.  Then ease up on the Pete Townshend windmill action.

Edited by jedzep
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

Dave,

What do you think about your rosewood SJ? I might move on my 1943 SJ re-issue (mahogany) for one of those.

I’m very happy with it. I like it so much I had the M2M L00 configured pretty much the same way.

The neck shape is the standard C shape which I prefer over the thicker or vee shape necks. 
One think I did notice and maybe because it was too new, I usually keep my guitar room humidity at 40-50% in the winter time and 45-55% in the summertime. If you look close on the side of the guard near the waist, a surface finish split started. I changed my winter setting to 45-55% and it stopped it and made it a little better. I only had that issue with one other guitar. My hope is after a few more seasons it will not be as sensitive. 

12 minutes ago, Mr.Woody said:

This is where our preferences differ 🙂 I LOVE a beat-up worn-in guitar!

A beat up guitar with a pristine p/g not showing glue drops under magnification?      

I have the same p/g and burst on my J45 and never noticed a problem. 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

A beat up guitar with a pristine p/g not showing glue drops under magnification?      

I have the same p/g and burst on my J45 and never noticed a problem. 

you got it. I want all the "issues" to be of my doing, 🙂

Just for clarification, it's not about seeing "glue drops" it's about not seeing them 🙂

7 hours ago, Lars68 said:

I would try to put double sided tape strips underneath the black striped portions of the guard only, and leave the transparent bits unglued.  This should still give plenty of adhesion, but if it starts to lift in a few years, you can just do it again. You can also use tiny drops of soft kids glue under black sections in strategic areas, such as the tip and around the edges.

Another suggestion is to paint the back of the guard matching the color of your guitar, before applying the double sided tape. Here you won't of course see the wood grain, but apart from that it will look very natural. I have done this by using acrylic paint mixed to create a crude burst pattern going from light to dark. 

Here is a firestripe guard I painted. The guard is of a different kind but the problem with the adhesive showing through the guard was the same.

IMG_0336

Wow, that looks perfect!!!!!!!!!!

Into at least the 1960s, Gibson applied the pickguards to bare wood and as Tom notes they shot the lacquer over them.

And maybe it is just me but I would still class the OPs pickguard as "Tiger Stripe."  The guy who restored my '42 J50 which was missing  its original pickguard and wanting to go with firestripe ended up going the same route as Lars by tinting the lacquer himself.  Far more subtle effect on the pickguard he did up for me though.

5 hours ago, j45nick said:

Dave,

What do you think about your rosewood SJ? I might move on my 1943 SJ re-issue (mahogany) for one of those.

Please pardon the usurp of your question to Dave   I have the rosewood SJ myself and it's fast becoming one of my favorite Gibsons.  The sound was there at the outset and once I adjusted to the neck, which didn't take long, it's been all smiles.

14 minutes ago, Hall said:

Please pardon the usurp of your question to Dave   I have the rosewood SJ myself and it's fast becoming one of my favorite Gibsons.  The sound was there at the outset and once I adjusted to the neck, which didn't take long, it's been all smiles.

Everything he said

Just noticed - your orange sound hole label says  "Limited Edition".   I don't recall ever seeing that before.  Just checked  -  I have two that say 'Guaranteed' and one that says 'Custom Shop' (although it is a limited edition according to the certificate that came with it.) .    I was just getting comfortable with the Orange vs White thing.    

If I had to guess - I'd agree with your wondering if when you removed and re-positioned your pick guard shortly after you got it - likely caused the glumpy spots that are visible now.  Sort of like fingerprints in wet paint. 

23 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Just noticed - your orange sound hole label says  "Limited Edition".   I don't recall ever seeing that before.  Just checked  -  I have two that say 'Guaranteed' and one that says 'Custom Shop' (although it is a limited edition according to the certificate that came with it.) .    I was just getting comfortable with the Orange vs White thing.    

If I had to guess - I'd agree with your wondering if when you removed and re-positioned your pick guard shortly after you got it - likely caused the glumpy spots that are visible now.  Sort of like fingerprints in wet paint. 

Yeah, this particular model (the "1942 J-45 Legend") was only available in Japan, but then Chicago Music Exchange obtained the rights to have it made here. So, it's custom shop, but has a limited label.

And i think you're right about me being the cause of the issue, because the pictures from when i first bought it don't look as bad.