Gibson Brands Forums

Grovers used on Epiphone are different than factory Grovers?

SpawnedX

So I just bought an ES-339 from zZounds (so it is an authorized dealer) and it comes with Grover Rotomatics (102C). I bought a set of Grover Rotomatic locking tuners (502CK) because they are the same footprint as the 102Cs. I know this from doing the exact same swap on my Gibson Les Paul Classic and had ZERO issues with the screw holes lining up. However, none of the screw holes line up on the Epiphone. Inspecting the Epiphone Grovers shows the tab portion with the screw hole its slightly longer than the ones I bought. I bought them from an authorized Grover dealer as well.

Anyone else have this problem? To get them installed I had to start the screw, then start the post nut and slowly tighten them down bit by bit, which I am sure means the screw went in a little crooked, but it holds and works now. I am just a little miffed and curious is all?

The Grover 502 and 102 appear very similar, but dimensionally are not exactly the same. If you do the math the difference from the center of the tuning post to the screw hole .019" making the 502 distance slightly greater.

mtXpF1I.jpg

My Epiphone ES-339's Grover Rotmatics below match the dimensions of the 102 on Stewmac exactly.

roeS7Zv.jpg

Ref the grovers on Stewmac

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/tuning-machines/solid-peghead-guitar-tuning-machines/?productFacets=Brands%3AGrover&productSortBy=Bestsellers&productPage=1#product

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...