Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45 Acacia

3mar67

Acacia is a general type that covers woods from Australia to Africa.  "Blackwood" for example is Acacia.   I have a J45 Custom Shop Koa from the same timeframe.   Koa is Acacia, just specific to Hawaii.   I absolutely love it.  I've never read anything critical about acacia -  the tone whisperers  say it sounds somewhere between mahogany and rosewood. 

I just took a look see and the model was available 2015-2017.  Bozeman also apparently came out with an L00 version at the same time.  Even if I had run into one though, I would have passed it by.   I have one of those phobias which does not make any sense at all.  Actually, I have more than one but in this case it is I have a dislike for guitars with abalone trim.  Now there is a topic just waiting for thread.

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I just took a look see and the model was available 2015-2017.  Bozeman also apparently came out with an L00 version at the same time.  Even if I had run into one though, I would have passed it by.   I have one of those phobias which does not make any sense at all.  Actually, I have more than one but in this case it is I have a dislike for guitars with abalone trim.  Now there is a topic just waiting for thread.

There are others. I remember being told by a forum member my D-41 was gaudy. 

20 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My wife initially complained that my J200 was too gaudy.  Then she played it.  In short order it was goodbye J100 while I was told in no uncertain terms that if I wanted to stay married my plan to use the J200 as trade bait was in the trash heap.  Decades down the road that Gibson remains her only six string acoustic.  As I said though, my thing with abalone may be one of those phobias which has not paid off.    I have the same thing with signatures other than the name of the builder adorning a guitar.

10 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

My wife initially complained that my J200 was too gaudy.  Then she played it.  In short order it was goodbye J100 while I was told in no uncertain terms that if I wanted to stay married my plan to use the J200 as trade bait was in the trash heap.  Decades down the road that Gibson remains her only six string acoustic.  As I said though, my thing with abalone may be one of those phobias which has not paid off.    I have the same thing with signatures other than the name of the builder adorning a guitar.

I hope you don’t have a Les Paul or I’m gonna cry wolf. It’s one everyone forgets about cause it’s so ingrained in our heads that LP is just it’s model name.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, zombywoof said:

So, abalone fret markers  - no,  but MoP are OK ?    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I hope you don’t have a Les Paul or I’m gonna cry wolf. It’s one everyone forgets about cause it’s so ingrained in our heads that LP is just it’s model name.

OK, amend that to no problem with model name.  But no, I never played a Les Paul.  Too heavy.  I stuck with Teles and Esquires.

Edited by zombywoof

• 8 months later...
On 5/10/2022 at 6:26 AM, 3mar67 said:

Does anyone here own, or has anyone played, a Gibson Custom Shop J45 Acacia?

I believe they were made in 2015-16?

Wondering what your opinions are.

Thanks

I do own one and it’s amazing both in appearance and tone. There were 65 made in total and I highly recommend grabbing one if you have the chance. 

Edited by YuckYuckWooWoo

On 5/10/2022 at 3:36 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Chief,

That was me.

You know I'm a Martin guy, but I don't like blingy guitars, which is what I consider the D-41, and even more so the D-45 to be.

Perhaps "gaudy" was a bit harsh, and I should have reserved it for the really tasteless Gibson j-200 series.

RBSinTo

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

That was me.

You know I'm a Martin guy, but I don't like blingy guitars, which is what I consider the D-41, and even more so the D-45 to be.

Perhaps "gaudy" was a bit harsh, and I should have reserved it for the really tasteless Gibson j-200 series.

RBSinTo

Now I'm gonna have to go cry in the corner.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Now I'm gonna have to go cry in the corner.

This must be the new, kinder, gentler, Chief.

Tough on the outside, but all ooey-gooey on the inside.

Perhaps a plate of really good Dumplings will assuage those tears.

Whatcha say?

RBSinTo