Gibson Brands Forums

On Demand Book Publishing - Who Knew?

I ordered an amp book by a guy by the name of Merlin Blencowe.  It's a second edition of a book he published years ago that went out of print.  And the book is published by a place called lulu.com. They publish books for people and print them on-demand.  You order the book and then they print it.  It's a hardcover book with a regular linen binding, like a real book.  They print it in 3 to ten days. 

I just got it today.  Pretty cool.

https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/merlin-blencowe/designing-power-supplies-for-valve-amplifiers-second-edition/hardcover/product-y495e4.html?page=1&pageSize=4

y495e4-front-shortedge-384.jpg

• Like 1

Yep...  not too difficult of a process, compared to what I imagine it is dealing with a big corp publisher.  Who you also want to sell it for you! My wife wrote, published one 4 or 5 years ago. Only had 3 dozen printed - maybe 150 pages.  You are also you're own editor and proof reader, of course.  Not designed to be in the Library of Congress !   Just family & friends in our case.    Sometimes new technology does enhance our lives !  

• 1 month later...

Yeah. I recently followed a thread of hilarity and frankly sadness regarding a book published on Lulu. I won't cite it specifically here due to Forum Rules. But the book was full of blatant plagiarizing, and the non plagiarized parts were obvious by the horrendous spelling and grammatical errors.   

It became so embarrassing I think Lulu took it off.

Edited by saturn
spelling eror

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2022 at 2:28 PM, saturn said:

blatant plagiarizing, and the non plagiarized parts were obvious by the horrendous spelling and grammatical errors.   

I just had to quote that.

It deserved it.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 12:11 AM, saturn said:

Was my post filled with errors or something?   I'm not sure what else makes it so funny.  If so, in my defense I'm just typing on a Forum, not publishing a book to sell. [biggrin]

No, it was perfect.  Just laughing about the part where the author's so bad that the plagiarized stuff gave him away.   😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sounds like a great opportunity! I prefer paper books but there are more useful online sources on the web, especially for education. That's why I live in a library.😀 But, unfortunately, I can't find all materials I need for some subjects there so I use some sites with additional info and books for it. But paper ones are a classic... 

On 12/12/2022 at 3:59 PM, AvirJiffy said:

Sounds like a great opportunity! I prefer paper books but there are more useful online sources on the web, especially for education. That's why I live in a library.😀 But, unfortunately, I can't find all materials I need for some subjects there so I use some sites such as https://plainmath.net/textbooks/math/algebra with additional info and books for it. But paper ones are a classic... 

And also what about e-books, does someone know good ones? And is it a worthwhile substitution for paper books?