Gibson Brands Forums

2017 gibson sg standard T , why so bright ?

tom brown

I am borrowing one of these guitars from  my friend and I am finding out that this guitar is wicked bright , as in bright treble response.

I actually have the tone down to five when I’m playing the bridge pick up and then it gets dark very quickly  . 

I really like this guitar and might give it a new home except for this over abundance of treble.

Any suggestions ??

1 hour ago, tom brown said:

I am borrowing one of these guitars from  my friend and I am finding out that this guitar is wicked bright , as in bright treble response.

I actually have the tone down to five when I’m playing the bridge pick up and then it gets dark very quickly  . 

I really like this guitar and might give it a new home except for this over abundance of treble.

Any suggestions ??

It’s got a ceramic magnet, I believe, correct me if I’m wrong. I think that’s what makes it so bright. 

On 5/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, tom brown said:

Any suggestions ??

None. 

Other than using that tone knob.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That doesn’t help if he wants to only use the Lead/Treble pickup.

Well, I thought getting rid of the, "over abundance of treble" was the goal.

Not specifically using that particular pickup.

But if that's the case, then like I said, using the Tone knob is the only option.

Unless lowering the pickup worked.

Edited by GibSinCity

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, tom brown said:

Actually I am liking this middle position on the guitar with both the tone controls rolled off to about eight and then a roll  off the neck pick up also to about eight and play in the middle position . Good sound thank yall 🙋‍♂️

Have you ever seen this vid.. Worth a watch..