Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone help ID this Epi

Epi01

Hi,

Just wondering people's opinions on this guitar as I'm unsure if it's fake or not, the build quality is great and it sounds good, but there's no model on it anywhere, but from my research not all guitars had the models on the headstock, again not sure if im correct in thinking that.... if its real does it have any value?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

20220514_204151.jpg

20220514_204217.jpg

20220514_204201.jpg

20220514_204220.jpg

I have done zero research and I am sure someone may have more knowledge but here's my view.

I've never seen a les paul without the screen print. Unless you can rule out a neck repair and a paint job, that would definitely put me off.

I've also not seen a dual humbuckcer from this period with a wrap around tail. I would say that's not a stock epi bridge from 09 at the very least.

I don't think those machine heads were standard at the time either. They had a hole at the bottom. These haven't been changed.

The horn area seems slightly off to me but that could be the picture angle etc.

The serial number, that's a high production number. ( 10904).

Just my opinion though.

It looks like you have found the answer to your question.

There are hundreds of models of lp churned out every year, people often struggle to find info about the non standard models and question the legitimacy. I was looking at the pictures you put up from a critical point of view in comparison to my own lp from the same period and factory. I still find it interesting that they used different tuners.

Enjoy.

7 minutes ago, Matt4356 said:

It looks like you have found the answer to your question.

There are hundreds of models of lp churned out every year, people often struggle to find info about the non standard models and question the legitimacy. I was looking at the pictures you put up from a critical point of view in comparison to my own lp from the same period and factory. I still find it interesting that they used different tuners.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the insight I appreciate it 👍

On 5/14/2022 at 11:57 PM, Epi01 said:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/46841656-epiphone-limited-edition-1954-les-paul-in-oxblood-jeff-beck-2009-oxblood-red

I found this that matches it pretty accurately, any further thoughts?

A 54 Les Paul  would have been manufactured with P90's, this is built like a Les Paul Standard which in 54 there was no Standard distinction they were just called Les Pauls. Being a Jeff Beck model it is very likely that Jeff  installed humbuckers in his 54 to modernize it. So anyway I would say that it is not unusual for Epiphone to build an unusual configuration for a signature model.

LP Standards usually sell new for 500 to 800 US depending on model.

Serial number: 09081510904

Production year: August 2009 (serial: 10904)

Made by Qingdao (electric), China

https://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienummers-epiphone_eng.php

Edited by mihcmac