Gibson Brands Forums

Heel strap button

Remmuts

I’m contemplating adding a strap button to the treble side of the neck heel on my L-00 Standard manufactured in 2021.

I will attempt this on my own, but first I’ll try on a Recording King parlor.

My question is what strap button and where to purchase it? Are there buttons for acoustics only?

I don’t care for the headstock attachment varieties.  I have a PRS parlor that came with both strap buttons and I love it!

Any assistance is appreciated. By the way, I tried a search to no avail.

I'm also one of those who doesn't like the imbalance I sense when I let go of my guitar if the attachment is at the heel.   The tuner end drops when I'm hands free, so I figure any effort to support the neck takes away from my fretting mobility. 

I'd find it aggravating to tie and untie, so I bought a loop for each guitar and leave them on for quick strap attachment. 

Look over the info on best placement for a heel pin.  There's apparently a right spot and a 'less right' spot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391039173466

9 hours ago, Remmuts said:

I’m contemplating adding a strap button to the treble side of the neck heel on my L-00 Standard manufactured in 2021.

I will attempt this on my own, but first I’ll try on a Recording King parlor.

My question is what strap button and where to purchase it? Are there buttons for acoustics only?

I don’t care for the headstock attachment varieties.  I have a PRS parlor that came with both strap buttons and I love it!

Any assistance is appreciated. By the way, I tried a search to no avail.

Remmuts,

Do yourself a huge favour and have the button installed by a Luthier.

My preference for strap attachments has long been via buttons at the neck heel, and have them on all five of my guitars. On those that I didn't purchase with the button already attached, (Martin D-28 and Guild GAD jf-30) I never even for a second considered getting creative and doing it myself, despite being  skilled with tools. 

Other than using pliers to cut old strings I keep my tools away from my instruments, and leave the surgery to those who are trained to do it.

Just my two cents of friendly advice.

RBSinTo

my J200 didn't have one either,  I didn't like the strap at the headstock.  I use brushed leather straps, so they don't move on my shoulder

If you DIY, match the depth of the screw when it's in the strap button and tape your drill bits for the depth

Start with your smallest drill first, then the correctly sized bit.   (Match the bit to the screw, so that you only see the threads behind the bit.)

30813681_10209342289913753_3713341864047