Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul supreme question

Belva

Hi there

It's years I'm looking for a mahogany top semihollow gibson guitar.

A quick question

Does the famous les paul supreme sound like a les paul florentine basically?

Does it have the "es" sound of let's say, a cs 336 (carved mahogany semi).

Do let me know.

Thx!

Just kidding...

Well it's a little difficult to answer your question... All of them sound different (and they do sound different from one guitar to the next in the same model and production date). So your best bet would be to try some and chose whichever sounds and feels best to you.

Personally I don't like supremes that much, I have played 2 (one belonged to a friend and one in a store) and they were good guitars, very confortable and good sounding, but so is the standard, and at half the price.

What I didnt like?

-too much of everything:

too much binding

too much maple cap (front AND back!) so you have to be extra extra careful with that one and belts... (if you buy it for just showing her off, no one is going to notice the back anyway).

too difficult to access the controls and electronics (no backplate, you have to do it from the jackplate).

So, in short, too much trouble and preocupation and not for free. You can get a chambered standard.

Now regarding the ES tone... I don't think they would sound close... why? F holes... chambered les pauls do not have them so they don't vibrate the same way. On gibsons press releases and webpage they say about the chambering process "it doesn't change the traditional tone of the les paul, just takes away weight", they are being made of heavier wood for some time now, so they had to take chunks out, and, well... lots of people thhat are whining about chambers today were whining about heavy *** les pauls 10 years ago...

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum by the way.

Does the famous les paul supreme sound like a les paul florentine basically?

Does it have the "es" sound of let's say' date=' a cs 336 (carved mahogany semi). [/quote']

Not much experience with the 336 here, but they might sound similar.

Still a lot more wood inside a Supreme than a 336 though.

A 335 is a whole new world, and I love mine.

thx for the replys. my prob with gibson lps is that I find them 1- too heavy 2- most important: there's NO VOICE at all. It's all chunked inside the guitar. There is sustain... but no "vocal" qualities. I mean, I tried this magnific looking lp custom vos shop, no weight swiss cheese, it was extra ehavy, way too much, but sound wasn't on par with the hassle to bring it around.

That's why I asked for a chambered lp, cause of course is a BEAUTIFUL guitar, but if it had more "voice". I see the lp supreme doesn't! Ill' stick to some es guitar then. Any other suggestion?

I have a Supreme, it sounds amazing, the weight is over 9lbs though as the thick maple arched back adds to the weight. It feels/plays and sounds magnificent. Creamy smooth sustain, beautiful clean tones and amazing distortion.

As for all the comments about it's looks, I would say that it is a bit more bling than a Custom. It is designed to be played, I play mine a lot and never worry about scratching it. It is the flagship Les Paul and eclipses every other Les Paul I have played including the Bonamassa Gold Top which I love to bits. The Supremes have beautiful resonant harmonic balance.

Try one and buy one.

thx for the replys. my prob with gibson lps is that I find them 1- too heavy 2- most important: there's NO VOICE at all. It's all chunked inside the guitar. There is sustain... but no "vocal" qualities. I mean' date=' I tried this magnific looking lp custom vos shop, no weight swiss cheese, it was extra ehavy, way too much, but sound wasn't on par with the hassle to bring it around.

That's why I asked for a chambered lp, cause of course is a BEAUTIFUL guitar, but if it had more "voice". I see the lp supreme doesn't! Ill' stick to some es guitar then. Any other suggestion?[/quote']

Don't worry Belva, they are all chambered now (at least the whole USA lineup and some reissues if you ask for one like that). And that means less weight and yes, they sing even unplugged.

Go out and try some and you'll be surprised.

(I'm still wondering why so much people whine about the chambers and lps not being as heavy "as real ones" when most people wanted them to be lighter).

Archived