Gibson Brands Forums

Tinnitus.

AXE®

I've had the same sound ever since I can remember. When I was a kid I'd go nuts looking for the noise in the house. My mom always thought there was something terribly wrong with me - "Where are the crickets, mommy?" She was probably right. But the doctors told her it was tinnitus, and I got a radio so I could sleep better. Now I use a pair of studio cans and an ipod so my wife can sleep.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No tinnitus for me (Knock on Wood) I've used hearing protection since I was a teenager shooting my .22. I think I've suffered more hearing damage from listening to bands at the bar and going to concerts (Little Feat Rocks, but they need to tone it down a little in the smaller venues).

At Practice and Gigs, it's Hearos all the way!!

Guitars are loud - especially if they at competing with a drummer! However, guns are louder - and you must wear ear protection. The last time I shot a gun with uncovered ears, my right ears rang for a month. Cover 'em or lose the use of 'em. I learned my lesson.

My hearing is pretty much shot...two causes. When I went to concerts while living in Europe in the late 70s and early 80s (Saxon' date=' Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, ACDC, Sabbath, etc.) there were no assigned seats. Anyone could go into the pit. It was a free-for-all. I was pretty young so I would get pushed to the sides--right next to the stack of Marshalls. I couldn't hear after the concert and my ears would ring for days. Nobody knew any better.

The other cause was from cranking my Walkman to it highest volume as a kid.

[/quote']

With the exception of the Europe part (mine was Vancouver) I could have written this word for word. Exact same experience. I'm paying for it now. The tinnitus in my left ear is so bad some nights it does keep me awake. And you can never get away from it, which makes me feel almost panicky sometimes. I've heard that staying well-hydrated will help it somewhat.

My problem is different. It's more of an allergy thing, one will close, then the other, I can yawn and pop em', ect, and I can't walk on steel building beams anymore. My balance is shot. I used to walk steel all day.

Thank God I only hear constant music that I can't really hear.

Murph.

I have severe tinnitus. It was kind of faint at first (1989-1990) but then kept getting worse. No way to stop it and it is progressive. Navy guns, El trains (Chicago), flying (Cessna - loud), pistols, rifles, shotguns). My ex's yelling - whew. I can see how all of these boom-boxers will have it (early too). I have no complaints though. Would not change anything.

Yep severe especially in the left ear so bad that I can't hear cicadas or any other tones like that and in noisy places like bars I just smile and read lips. In a related story I recently had a hearing test done where I was sitting in the chair wearing headphones and my wife and her good friend were across the room looking at me with amazed expressions, they good hear the tone through the headphones and the room better than I could wearing the headphones. I could have scored higher from just pushing the damn button when they looked at each other in shock rather than trying to listen to the beep noise. The only good thing about failing a hearing test so bad in front of he wife is that at least now she knows I'm not faking it when I ignore her, at least not always :-

I spent most of my life racing motorcycles, shooting guns and playing guitar in bars et all before hearing protection was even a consideration no wonder I'm deaf. this is one of the main reasons I'm such a fan of the small sub watt tube amps great tone without destroying what's left of my hearing. The only thing that really annoys me about in reference to playing guitar though is that I cannot hear at all in noisy situations. I can remember when I was young tuning a guitar in a noisy bar no problem hell now I can barely tell if the guitars on, let alone in tune. thank god for Peterson Strobes.

I guess I'm one lucky SOB! So far, no problems (Knock on wood)

I worked for an airline for years, and was exposed to a great deal of jet engine noise. Add to that, all the concerts I attended and bands I've played in. I did wear ear protection at the airport, but very rarely, if ever, at live music events. One thing I was never into was listening to loud headphones. I guess it's kind of good that my current band doesn't play too often because we are pretty loud.

After reading some of your stories, I am going to be very careful from now on.

Archived