Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Tribute Nut Width

lastshooter

Hi,

I’m a older beginner lefty looking at buying a Les Paul Tribute Left Handed.

I currently playing an acoustic/electric Fender with nut width of 1.69

I feel a slightly wider nut at 1.695 would best suit my style and while a very small size difference it may just make a difference from a dead string to a good hit as it only occurs in certain chord placements.

I looking at specs all over and get varying results via the net some will say 1.695 while others say 1.69 and l know it’s best to try in a store but being a lefty it’s not feasible.

Me questions are;

1. Can I purchase from Gibson and ask for a wider nut?

2. If not from above have a luthier change it? 

Edited by lastshooter

Hi,

The difference is only .005" . To put that in perspective, the thickness of a piece of paper is .004"

I would think that the neck profile would make more difference to feel & handling than that. It would affect whether you could wrap your thumb around etc.

I certainly think that trying out different necks would help you make a informed decision. It wouldn't matter if they weren't lefties for that purpose. 

Edited by merciful-evans

This is the 2nd thread someone looking for a particular nut width. 

Not that I'm "diss'ing" you.

But way I look at it: you have to learn on a variety of guitars with different nut/neck/scales. 

That way if you're some place and you get the "oh you play guitar,  here grab this guitar and play us something "

You don't answer "um no man, I can't play that guitar,  it's not set up for me"

Don't think any of the greats would turn down a jam/gig

Two threads is not a lot considering the variables of why one may need or not need a wider nut. Can only speak for my self but while not totally new and learning the finer things about a guitar and especially online. Consider this, I am on chemo therapy along with biologic therapy which renders any Covid vax useless pretty much removed gallivanting about music shops to test play guitars. Talk about dead strings 😷

Not to mention spending 12 or 18 hundred on a poke and hope.

All that said, my Fender neck radius is 15.75 inch compared to the Gibson LP Tribute’s 12.0 inch may make the difference. The reason is that after about 30 minutes of practice is when the touching occurs. Even with calluses groves form allowing the finger to rest deeper thus wider.

So, even though the Tributes nut is 1.69 I can always ask the luthier about a wider nut  feasible. 
Understanding the slight difference, it could still “help” make a difference.

The LP is on the way and once I play it I’ll reply again for the next lost soul and  perhaps shine some light.

Edited by lastshooter

I had to put a new nut on my SG Classic,

the first one I bought was this: Musiclily Pro 44mm Standard LP style Flat Bottom Bone Nut Compatible with USA Les Paul Electric Guitar, 44.07x4.98x9.30mm (2 Pieces) : Musical Instruments (amazon.com)

There are two in the package, and the string spacing is a bit wider than the original nut.   There's maybe a bit less than 1/64s or there abouts, difference on either side on the E strings.

so the spacing is slightly wider, if you look in the middle of the nut, the 2 slots (A/E  B/E) are closer to the edge of the nut, while the nut itself is the correct width. 

This might be a pret cut nut that matches what you are looking to try.

aslo, This particular nut matched exact. Amazon.com: Graph Tech PQL-6010-00 TUSQ XL Pre-Slotted TUSQ Self-Lubricating Gibson Electric Style Guitar Nut, Flat Bottom : Musical Instruments  (so don't buy one of these!!  it's the same)

Edited by kidblast

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

I had to put a new nut on my SG Classic,

the first one I bought was this: Musiclily Pro 44mm Standard LP style Flat Bottom Bone Nut Compatible with USA Les Paul Electric Guitar, 44.07x4.98x9.30mm (2 Pieces) : Musical Instruments (amazon.com)

There are two in the package, and the string spacing is a bit wider than the original nut.   There's maybe a bit less than 1/64s or there abouts, difference on either side on the E strings.

so the spacing is slightly wider, if you look in the middle of the nut, the 2 slots (A/E  B/E) are closer to the edge of the nut, while the nut itself is the correct width. 

This might be a pret cut nut that matches what you are looking to try.

aslo, This particular nut matched exact. Amazon.com: Graph Tech PQL-6010-00 TUSQ XL Pre-Slotted TUSQ Self-Lubricating Gibson Electric Style Guitar Nut, Flat Bottom : Musical Instruments  (so don't buy one of these!!  it's the same)

Thanks for the excellent info!

I will most definitely try that on the Fender Redondo!

Just played my new LP Tribute and amazed at the feel, was like ok now we’re talk’n!

Neck radius and profile was noticeably effective with my issues with the Fender acoustic and it’s C slim tapered profile and 15.75 radius.  Cords are much easier for transition and the intermittent dead string is virtually gone. Hit it a couple times and can attribute that to pilot error. Unless that is completely eliminated in the coming weeks I’ll leave the nut as is or have the luthier look into a wider one, however the Fender is getting one for sure. 

1/64 wider would certainly fix what I’m experiencing imo 

As for the Les Paul Tribute it’s a great guitar for the price. If I was just 10 years younger would have went for the Standard but to have the pleasure to hold and play my own Gibson Les Paul is a blessing. 😍

Acoustics are going to be slightly different but you can find one The setup  of the nut is really important with an acoustic.  Chords are a lot easier to manage when the nut's cut right, and they are almost never cut right from the factory setup.  Some other sources beyond amazon are Stewart McDonald (Stew Mac) ... AllPARTS.com,  Philidelphia Luthier.  Measure the total length to get the right one.  You might need a blank and let your "guy" fit it.

Tribute LPs are great guitars, all the good stuff without the heavy price tag.   The diffs are mostly cosmetics, things you don't see when you're busy playing it!

good luck, have a blast breaking in that Les Paul

Edited by kidblast