Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Prices

Gurban1

If you look at Gibson prices for Standard level guitars over the last five years or so, I think you'll find that they've come down or stayed almost level.

Les Pauls, SG's, 335's.  They're about the same price they were about five years ago.  I paid about 3 grand for a LP standard in 2019.  They're about 2800 now.  I paid 2500 for my 335 in 2012 - I think it listed for 2700, now they're about 2800.

I think Gibson's prices are pretty good right now.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:42 AM, merciful-evans said:

Is your camera battery all charged up again now? [wink]

Okay, guess I can do 3 more.

2015  Flying V   Made for Japanese market

AM-JKLV3HOuYKjpRyMKGMVUnlPkfC6mxXJ_KLWKn

2015 Firebird V.  A real work of art!

AM-JKLWlACGaygZQsESIwBas3LGbq8napIbOuBbe

2015  ES-175D '54 ES-175D Ltd in Jim Dickinson Burst.  One of 50.

AM-JKLXRqWFhe9gAdA0_EF_rdmXX26b_S6V8KAEF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

If you look at Gibson prices for Standard level guitars over the last five years or so, I think you'll find that they've come down or stayed almost level.

Les Pauls, SG's, 335's.  They're about the same price they were about five years ago.  I paid about 3 grand for a LP standard in 2019.  They're about 2800 now.  I paid 2500 for my 335 in 2012 - I think it listed for 2700, now they're about 2800.

LP Standards are £2399 now, well that's the RRP anyway. The RRP was £1999 12 months ago.

8 hours ago, Wmachine said:

Okay, guess I can do 3 more.

2015  Flying V   Made for Japanese market

AM-JKLV3HOuYKjpRyMKGMVUnlPkfC6mxXJ_KLWKn

2015 Firebird V.  A real work of art!

AM-JKLWlACGaygZQsESIwBas3LGbq8napIbOuBbe

2015  ES-175D '54 ES-175D Ltd in Jim Dickinson Burst.  One of 50.

AM-JKLXRqWFhe9gAdA0_EF_rdmXX26b_S6V8KAEF

Thanks! Terrific collection👍

I bought a bunch in 2015 after 40 years of only ever having a couple. 

On 6/10/2022 at 5:41 AM, merciful-evans said:

Thanks! Terrific collection👍

I bought a bunch in 2015 after 40 years of only ever having a couple. 

Yes, the forum fueled hysteria over the 2015s gave us the opportunity to buy some really great new Gibsons at insanely cheap prices.  Like my LP Junior for $480 (with hard case).

AM-JKLWz8Ie2f2EO0fd7Mtj4VtxR3D5hY3RkrXkC

4 hours ago, Wmachine said:

Yes, the forum fueled hysteria over the 2015s gave us the opportunity to buy some really great new Gibsons at insanely cheap prices.  Like my LP Junior for $480 (with hard case).

That's right. What a great deal you had there! And those USA cases are excellent.

Though I paid full price for my ES-339 that year (Memphis models remained the same), I got 49% off  the LP Less+ here. jdgm played it recently and said he'd like to take it home.

fxe7NUM.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That's right. What a great deal you had there! And those USA cases are excellent.

Though I paid full price for my ES-339 that year (Memphis models remained the same), I got 49% off  the LP Less+ here. jdgm played it recently and said he'd like to take it home.

fxe7NUM.jpg

Nice!  Lost in the petty complaints about Les Pauls signature were significant upgrades to the 2015s like real MOP inlays, thicker fingerboards, titanium saddle and hard cases for all, including the lesser models that didn't usually get hard cases.

I think they left what they're now calling the Designer Models (Firebird, Explorer and Flying V) and the ES models alone for 2015, it was only the Les Paul and SG models that got the different necks and all the rest.  Is that correct?

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I think they left what they're now calling the Designer Models (Firebird, Explorer and Flying V) and the ES models alone for 2015, it was only the Les Paul and SG models that got the different necks and all the rest.  Is that correct?

Pretty sure they did not produce Explorers & Vs in 2015. They did make a Firebird with the changes (except for tuners it seems ). Essentially, if it was built in Nashville it had the changes (see the link). If it was Memphis then it was business as usual.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Firebird-V.aspx 

The link above  lists these changes for the Firebird

New and Improved in 2015

On 6/12/2022 at 8:48 AM, merciful-evans said:

Yes, basically correct.  "Business as usual" for Memphis.  Correct on the Firebird.  No "regular production" for Explorers and Vs, but as I posted earlier, there were at least Vs made for the Japanese market sans any of those USA special features.  And there were also a number of USA big dealer models that did not have those features too.  Like my 2015 LP Trad Pro 3T (GC/MF)

AM-JKLX9Mh4IAkA4SE9Wi9X-NGR8ZN7fGLmcnCBW

Furthermore, there were also some upgrades "thrown in" on certain models.  Like gloss finish on the 2015 SG Special  (normally faded/satin finish)  and '61 Ziebra pups.  $530 from Sam Ash again including hard case. 

AM-JKLVP6kPTiaKqg_H3XJjddugt8B3o8Zuq-x3R

To all the whiners about the 2015 models, I say "Thank you very much!"

Why, so they did.  I've never seen a 2015 Firebird, I always thought that Zero Fret nut was interesting despite the initial roll out being made out of recycled soda cans or something similar.

My 2014 really could stand that improved output jack on the 2015, I have to use an O-ring on the cable's male connector to get it to seat right.

10 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Why, so they did.  I've never seen a 2015 Firebird, I always thought that Zero Fret nut was interesting despite the initial roll out being made out of recycled soda cans or something similar.

My 2014 really could stand that improved output jack on the 2015, I have to use an O-ring on the cable's male connector to get it to seat right.

You serious? That’s BS Steve. I never understand why Gibson guys tolerate that QA garbage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 10:06 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

The answer is of course "YES". The CEO's kids gotta eat.

I stopped off at 5 different shops yesterday I had never gone to before. (2+ hours from my home).   One shop was said to be the guitar place for all the local area musicians.   (The closest guitar center was over 120 miles away).   The only new LPs he had were a 2021 Standard and a couple of Studios.   The shop owner felt they were priced out of his market, and his customers don't even buy the Studios anymore.    

At a second store, they had 5 or 6 new Gibson's but the guy working there said they hadn't sold a LP this year.    He had a Standard gold top for 2,800.  I asked him jokingly if he would take offers.   He said check back in 6 months it would probably still be there.

4 minutes ago, Nifty said:

I stopped off at 5 different shops yesterday I had never gone to before. (2+ hours from my home).   One shop was said to be the guitar place for all the local area musicians.   (The closest guitar center was over 120 miles away).   The only new LPs he had were a 2021 Standard and a couple of Studios.   The shop owner felt they were priced out of his market, and his customers don't even buy the Studios anymore.    

At a second store, they had 5 or 6 new Gibson's but the guy working there said they hadn't sold a LP this year.    He had a Standard gold top for 2,800.  I asked him jokingly if he would take offers.   He said check back in 6 months it would probably still be there.

Apparently that is not where the dentists, lawyers, doctors, or Jim Irsay shops. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 6/28/2022 at 8:03 AM, Nifty said:

Did the Goldtop have P90’s? Sweetwater can’t keep them in Stock! I was interested but gone! It weighed 9.5 lbs.. Not sure I want another anchor though… Wish Gibson would reissue the Goldtop ES Les Paul with P90’s & Bigsby.. I’m in!

Edited by Larsongs

On 6/30/2022 at 1:20 AM, Larsongs said:

Did the Goldtop have P90’s? Sweetwater can’t keep them in Stock! I was interested but gone! It weighed 9.5 lbs.. Not sure I want another anchor though… Wish Gibson would reissue the Goldtop ES Les Paul with P90’s & Bigsby.. I’m in!

https://www.portmansmusic.com/p-40217-gibson-lps5p900gtnh1-les-paul-std-50s-p90-gold-top-wc.aspx

2 hours ago, Nifty said:

Is that a Floor model & people come in & play it? I think a lot of guys go to Stores, try out new Guitars, then purchase that same model new Guitar, untouched in the box, at bigger discounts online…… Not saying it’s good or bad, right or wrong.. Just saying..

4 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Is that a Floor model & people come in & play it? I think a lot of guys go to Stores, try out new Guitars, then purchase that same model new Guitar, untouched in the box, at bigger discounts online…… Not saying it’s good or bad, right or wrong.. Just saying..

It was about 15 feet high up on a wall.   Its not a big shop at all. I'm certain they don't have more in the back or anything.   One person in there who seemed like the owner.   That city is near dead.   I bet he gets three or four people in there a day if that.    Just call and ask him.   He seemed like a nice gent.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:09 AM, Eracer_Team said:

In Ontario Canada our gas price just went to $2.10_9 per liter (times that by 3.67 to get US gallon)

The company that makes custom size boxes for my company can't deliver for more than 8wks (used to be 5 day delivery) citing pandemic slow down .

That's just one portion that contributes to what prices are.

Yes , prices are going up every few months

actually its x 4.5    4.5 litres in US gal. , what the heck tho a house here starts at 8-9. over a mil in Vic.

On 6/9/2022 at 8:08 AM, badbluesplayer said:

Depends on which model. The Satin finished one is $2999. The regular ES-335 is $3499

$2k for a Standard and they'd make more money total. 

With all sorts of recessions, energy prices rising a s o, people aren't going to prioritize $3k guitars, I don't think. 

Of course, same probably goes for $2k guitars, I dunno. 

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

$2k for a Standard and they'd make more money total. 

With all sorts of recessions, energy prices rising a s o, people aren't going to prioritize $3k guitars, I don't think. 

Of course, same probably goes for $2k guitars, I dunno. 

People will, but people will also have to have the G word on their headstock. And if you or I don't buy them, Gibson knows someone will.