Gibson Brands Forums

BAND CAMP?

Homz

Tell the truth. Who here was in their High School band.

As for me: My father was an awesome trumpet player so I had thought to do the same. I lasted about 5 min. in the 7th grade and never went back. So I was never in the High School band.

I did play in a couple of rock bands while in High School, but not the school organized kind.

Not only was I in the Highscool Marching, Pep and Concert Band, I held the First Trumpet seat for my Junior and Senior year. I was proud of it then and I'm proud of it now. I can't begin to tell you what valuable lessons I learned in the High School band. Not just about beats and Keys but Disipline.

The dicipline to Practice and not screw around, the dicipline to stand for 5 hours without getting wore out, the dicipline to play songs you don't really like, the dicipline to get to the Gig early and prepared, the dicipline to take criticism, and understanding that ensemble music is a team effort.

Never played an instrument. I was too busy beating up all the other bandies.

JK

I was a jock.

How's the Knee? JK

The footbal team Begged me to try out when I was leaving 8th grade. I was pretty big for my age and could out wrestle most of the wrestling team, but music has always been the fuel for my engine so Band for me.

No band for me. Quite frankly, a "band" these days just plays shitty reinditions of old 80's songs, like Dont Stop Believin, and Metallica's ****. Really, its stupid as hell.

The worst is when they try to say their real musicians, instead of trained puppets who play whatever is put in front of them. I dont mean that as a demeanor to bandies, because a rare few actually have some talent, but seriously. Playing an instrument doesnt mean you have "talent". Being able to improvise and write a song that flows naturally is talent.

Never played a band instrument.

The closest I came to playing in band was when our High school band leader heard I played guitar and they asked me to play rhythm and lead on a couple of songs for the musical "A Chorus Line" which was big in the late 70's

Archived