Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone else have a guitar from the year they were born?

JasonKnows

I was born in 1969! I have seen three variations of the Les Paul released for this year. Of course if I came across a custom or builder model, that would be a unbelievable exception; but besides the GoldTop with the p90’s, the black beauty 2hh paf’s and a sunburst with the standard double coil, I’m curious to see or hear other models are like, what does YOUR 69 Les Paul looks like?

am I wrong thinking that the custom shop has a specification for the body and neck and can birth a new one at the the 69 specs?

thank you!

39 minutes ago, JasonKnows said:

I was born in 1969! I have seen three variations of the Les Paul released for this year. Of course if I came across a custom or builder model, that would be a unbelievable exception; but besides the GoldTop with the p90’s, the black beauty 2hh paf’s and a sunburst with the standard double coil, I’m curious to see or hear other models are like, what does YOUR 69 Les Paul looks like?

am I wrong thinking that the custom shop has a specification for the body and neck and can birth a new one at the the 69 specs?

thank you!

I'm not paying the money someone wants for a 1966 guitar. I want a good one that doesn't put me in the poor house, and not just one cause it was made the year I was born. I am sure there are tons of killer 1966 guitars, but at what cost? Can't imagine what a '66 LP would cost or D-28. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'm old enough that electric guitars from my year of birth (1950) weren't very good.  There may be some cool archtops from then, but the solid body electric, as we know it, hadn't been produced at that time.  There are a few really good sounding acoustics from back then, but people that have them generally aren't selling, you have to be really lucky to get your hands on one that is playable and doesn't require a second mortgage on the house or a tone of repairs.

No.  It's weird and I've never understood the obsession with a birth year guitar.  I guess I should be driving a 1960 Dodge?  Keep my Schlitz in a 1960 refrigerator, and watch Stranger Things season 4 on a 1960 Quasar?

rct

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rct said:

No.  It's weird and I've never understood the obsession with a birth year guitar.  I guess I should be driving a 1960 Dodge?  Keep my Schlitz in a 1960 refrigerator, and watch Stranger Things season 4 on a 1960 Quasar?

rct

If you drink Schlitz, . . .  well you deserve it. Any self respecting malt liquor man drinks Old English 800, and chases it with some Maddog 20/20. Boones Farm is for the elite.

I came close to buying a 1955 reissue a few years back. For some reason that must be an unpopular year for reissues. I do have a couple Les Pauls from the OP’s birthday year……. The Les Paul Deluxe I’ve had since I was 18, almost fifty years.

GA2aDwal.jpg3pJ1uSjl.jpg

Edited by Grog

1 hour ago, Grog said:

I came close to buying a 1955 reissue a few years back. For some reason that must be an unpopular year for reissues. I do have a couple Les Pauls from the OP’s birthday year……. The Les Paul Deluxe I’ve had since I was 18, almost fifty years.

GA2aDwal.jpg3pJ1uSjl.jpg

Awesome; adding the professional to the list! Fantastic seeing a gold that old that hasn’t turned green!

11 hours ago, JasonKnows said:

Awesome; adding the professional to the list! Fantastic seeing a gold that old that hasn’t turned green!

There are only a handful of Professionals & for that matter Personals made in 1969. Most were made in 1970.

18 minutes ago, kidblast said:

That's really the way to do it man.,..  I would have loved to.  I've had it with all the BS tbh...

I got lucky. I joined the military and did 23 years, so I have that coming in. My wife worked for the College Of William and Mary, at the Omohundro Institute for 25 years and has a little bit coming in from there as well. The bad thing was that in the past 5 years her father passed away and my mother passed away, and we both got an inheritance, and it was enough that we could both retire. I work at The Carolina Opry as a ticket scanner/usher. When I do work its a 3 hour shift, and it is basically to get out of the house, so me and my wife don't aggravate each other, and I can buy guitar strings. Working for someone is a drag. When I was a contractor for NASA, there were many days I went to work, and even though I worked with people that had Ph.d's, that doesn't mean they have common sense.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I got lucky. I joined the military and did 23 years, so I have that coming in. My wife worked for the College Of William and Mary, at the Omohundro Institute for 25 years and has a little bit coming in from there as well. The bad thing was that in the past 5 years her father passed away and my mother passed away, and we both got an inheritance, and it was enough that we could both retire. I work at The Carolina Opry as a ticket scanner/usher. When I do work its a 3 hour shift, and it is basically to get out of the house, so me and my wife don't aggravate each other, and I can buy guitar strings. Working for someone is a drag. When I was a contractor for NASA, there were many days I went to work, and even though I worked with people that had Ph.d's, that doesn't mean they have common sense.

it's good to "get out" as soon as we can.

@65, and doing IT work since 1977,  not only have I just about seen it all, I've seen enough to last a life time. 

The workforce shuffling and the outsourcing has really made working in this field a nightmare.   The outsourcing to India looks good on paper, in practice it's a disaster.   While I do like the people,  they are all really cool,  and try hard, but they lack the "real" world experience they  need to get the job done 

Due to the social climate over there, they will say anything they can to get the job. 

So the leadership teams  throw these guys over the wall to us to work with,  and we find that we have to pretty much train them on just about every aspect of the work. 

And the mgmt is just as clueless as the techs they put in the function, and they refuse to listen to the guys that have been doing the work for decades and now the routine.

It's a train wreck.

yea,, I'm done, done AND done...

Edited by kidblast