Gibson Brands Forums

New Member - Love J-200's - Please advise how to find a GOOD ONE?

Mana

I've tried the two local stores J-200s (all three of them . . . and somethings missing) I never see any used advertised locally . . .so . . .how have you players who are thrilled with the tone of your J-200's found your guitar??? And since I haven't many to play locally . . .is there a "level" of the models offered by Gibson . . .Standard, Custom, True Vintage, etc. that I would need to "order" to really make a difference in the tonal quality??? Do they use higher grades of wood or are they just more ornate as the price goes up??? I want to play her . . .so tone is primary . . .the "extra" glitz is not as important to me as the tone . . .but I will gladly pay the extra cost if thats where I will find one that's "Special". I know I'll have more questions . . .so I appreciate your feedback to further my education about the J-200 family! I'd like to make an informed decision . . .I'm tryin' to be patient . . .but of course I'm anxious to have her in my hands!! Thanks . . .I've been enjoying the wealth of information in this Forum already!

I've tried the two local stores J-200s (all three of them . . . and somethings missing)

That's just the way it is. As much as we would like to predict what a guitar should or could sound like based on the brand, model, how many grains per inch of the spruce in the top, scale length, nitrocellulose vs polyurethane and hide glue vs mucilage vs duct tape, the truth is we don't know and the harder we try to predict, the harder we fall on our faces. I'm sure there are plain Jane J100s out there that would blow away a blinged out 200 too.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, a good guitar is a mistake. If there are ten identical J45s in a row, eight may sound very similar, one might sound like crap, and one might blow the windows out. That's when you whip out the credit card and don't let go of the neck until the receipt is in your hands.

Keep looking, make a road trip out of it, and be pepared to buy when "the one" comes at you.

J200's are as good as it gets. However so are J185's. I own a J200EC and a J185 and both are great. However I tend to play the J185 more often. Not sure why but Ib just love playing it and it has greatr tone!

That's just the way it is. As much as we would like to predict what a guitar should or could sound like based on the brand' date=' model, how many grains per inch of the spruce in the top, scale length, nitrocellulose vs polyurethane and hide glue vs mucilage vs duct tape, the truth is we don't know and the harder we try to predict, the harder we fall on our faces. I'm sure there are plain Jane J100s out there that would blow away a blinged out 200 too.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, a good guitar is a mistake. If there are ten identical J45s in a row, eight may sound very similar, one might sound like crap, and one might blow the windows out. That's when you whip out the credit card and don't let go of the neck until the receipt is in your hands.

Keep looking, make a road trip out of it, and be pepared to buy when "the one" comes at you.[/quote']

this is the guitar buying gospel. read it 10 times.

That's just the way it is. As much as we would like to predict what a guitar should or could sound like based on the brand' date=' model, how many grains per inch of the spruce in the top, scale length, nitrocellulose vs polyurethane and hide glue vs mucilage vs duct tape, the truth is we don't know and the harder we try to predict, the harder we fall on our faces. I'm sure there are plain Jane J100s out there that would blow away a blinged out 200 too.

Keep looking, make a road trip out of it, and be pepared to buy when "the one" comes at you.[/quote']

This is so true. I got a Southern Jumbo MC and a Hummingbird MC and was very happy with them (and still am when I need to plug in). Never thought of buying another guitar, at least not either of those. But one day I was in my local shop and my salesman said "try this one." It was a J-45 and the person(s) who built it were clearly touched by God while they were building it. The shop even had an identical J-45 that sounded nice, but nothing like the one I bought. Another guy was there looking at it, but he walked away to play electrics for a minute. It took about 2 minutes (maybe less) playing her and by the time the guy was walking back to play her again, I was taking her to the counter to pay. He laughed, shook my hand and said "congratulations, you are getting a great guitar." And I did.

I've said it before' date=' I'll say it again, a good guitar is a mistake. ..Keep looking, make a road trip out of it, and be pepared to buy when "the one" comes at you.[/quote']

I have to agree with this. And often it takes a it of messing around before a guitar is a GOOD guitar. AND most of all -- we each have a different idea of what "good" means. Some players like purely electric amplified buzzing blasting overdrive guitar. Some like to sit quietly on the back porch all alone and play a very simple melody heard by noone.

Some like a deep mellow soft sound and some like a treble higher toned (but acoustic) sound.

You cannot have what you cannot identify. So if you do not know what you want you will never find it. If you are looking for a jumbo guitar that sounds like a dreadnought you probably will not find it. If you are looking for two opposites in the same thing you probably will not find it.

How much tampering does it take to get the strings right (a big part of the sound). New guitars are shipped with strings the make thinks are good for the model. But used guitars often have bad choices of strings. Saddles make a difference in sound -- even expensive saddles can sound BAD. Open strings sound terrible if the nut is bad. Bridge problems can negatively affect sound.

So you first KNOW what you are looking for. Then you search until you find one. Or one finds you (is more often the case).

I just had to have a J-200 sunburst and took a gamble, after much agony, and bougght one online sight unseen. It was sold as used as it was a display model at FQM. I could find not even a fingerprint on the thing and no evidence that it had even been played. The strings were pristine and it is beautiful and the best guitar I have ever owned. Lucky? Maybe, but I haven't heard many people bad-mouthing their SJ-200's either. Oh, mines an MC, by the way. I hope you get one you like. It's a joy just to take it out of the case and pretend that Emmylou just handed it to me!! lol

If you get down to Texas, Fuller's vintage in Houston has a pretty impressive selection of J-200's. Last time I was in I know they had a modern classic or two, a true vintage, True vintage VOS limited, Western Classic, koa/red spruce combo, some one off art/custom shop guitars, etc. Look on their website. They update it regularly, so if it's on the site, it's likely sitting in the shop. It's nice to be able to compare say the difference between a rosewood back and a maple back, etc. Granted there are lots of variables, but you can get a pretty good idea. I don't know of many brick and mortar shops that have such an extensive stock. Good luck! I'm certain that if you want to find a great J-200, you'll be able to. Just need to play as many as you can, and find what suits your ear and style.

Based on the TV J-45 and "non-TV J-45", my expectation would be that the TV version of the J-200 would, similarly, be a bit "better" tonally than the non-TV version.

But, as ksdaddy so eloquently observed, some of that 'wisdom' just simply flies out the window when you find The One.

It does not necessarily follow that if it's a TV or a Historic or a 1939 re-issue or whatever that it'll will be/must be /gotta be better than those other ones. It *could* be, but there's no guarantee.

So, indeed, travel to stores, try out guitars, and have the credit card poised in your hand for that magic moment!

Fred

There is currently a 1993 J-200 for sale on the Acoustic Guitar Forum for $1925. I am not the seller, nor do I know seller. Just thought you would like to know. Heres the link:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145537

J200's are as good as it gets. However so are J185's. I own a J200EC and a J185 and both are great. However I tend to play the J185 more often. Not sure why but Ib just love playing it and it has greatr tone!

X2 on this.

I just bought a J-185 and love it. I think the mahogany neck adds something to the tone over the J-200. Oh yeah' date=' and nothing beats a Gibson burst.

[img']http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o43/rsigworth/DSC02480.jpg[/img]

DSC02477.jpg

DSC02475.jpg

Everyone here has a point. I played several SJ200s before I bought mine, some were overly bassy, one had no bottom end at all, and mine was just exquisite.

I had a similar experience with my Hummingbird-I owned a different one, same spec, same model, for a while in 2007. It was a great guitar when plugged in, but wasn't quite as nice when unplugged. I kept it for a while, and ended up trading it for a Martin OM18V, which didn't stay for long when I found my current Bird locally-brand new, and just utterly brilliant. Such a tremendous guitar, and it just keeps getting better and better with time.

When you find the one, you'll know. I am lucky to have two. My SJ200 has been dragged all over the world with me in the last five years, and now needs a refret and a neck reset, but it still sounds unbelievable.

If you get down to Texas, Fuller's vintage in Houston has a pretty impressive selection of J-200's. Last time I was in I know they had a modern classic or two, a true vintage, True vintage VOS limited

+1, they are also very patient as they tolerated me onplaying every Gibson in the store many times.

I never buy a guitar without playing it a lot, and playing many others by comparison. I've been playing J45's for 10 years. Taking the knowledge from this forum, I would have bought a pre-60's vintage or a new J-45 TV with Rosewood back. The one I bought was a new J-45 modern classic, with mahogany and the typical Guitar Center abuse- giant dent on one side, and buckle rash. It was really that good.

FWIW- I think J-200's are beautiful instruments, but I've never been a big fan of the tone. They always sound really thin to me. I've heard that the rosewood ones are thicker, but I've never played one.

Good luck!

Archived