Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson what year?

wendyb

My father passed a few years ago and started playing this guitar when he was in his early teens. He was born in 1945. I do not see a "stamp" on the back of the headstock.

He left his Gibson to me. I'm trying to figure out what year and what version it was from? I've attached photos.

I'm a singer and also just started learning how to play this guitar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Gibson 1.jpg

Gibson 2.jpg

Gibson 3.jpg

Hi & welcome! Your guitar looks to me to be an ES-330T. One of my books shows it was only made from 1959 to 1962.  I think they only made the two pickup version after that. You have a beautiful guitar there!!

This is an ES-330T. The single-pickup model was produced between 1959 and 1963. Since there is no serial number on the back of the headstock, that suggests it was made before the serial number format was changed in February 1961.

Inside the treble F-hole, you might find a stamped number (the ink may have faded over the past sixty years). It is a letter and four digits. The letter indicates the year: S is 1959, R is 1960, and Q is 1961.

Alternatively, there could be an orange label in the bass side F-hole, but it doesn't seem to be there. If it just isn't visible in these photos, the serial numbers are easy: A32284 or earlier is 1959, up to A35625 is 1960, and up to A36147 is 1961.

Edited by pohatu771

• 6 months later...
On 6/12/2022 at 2:49 PM, wendyb said:

My father passed a few years ago and started playing this guitar when he was in his early teens. He was born in 1945. I do not see a "stamp" on the back of the headstock.

He left his Gibson to me. I'm trying to figure out what year and what version it was from? I've attached photos.

I'm a singer and also just started learning how to play this guitar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Gibson 1.jpg

Gibson 2.jpg

Gibson 3.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, Eric Clapton had such a model. Really beautiful guitar!