Gibson Brands Forums

Binding/ neck ridge

Have just received a new 2021 Les Paul Classic in ebony.

Appreciate this is a common issue what with scraping techniques in the factory but there’s a ridge or step between binding and neck paint. Unfortunately it’s just prominent enough to be noticeable whilst playing.

Solutions? I guess the binding could be built up with more clear coat OR the paint taken down a bit to soften the ridge and make it less noticeable. The latter seems much easier.

Would anyone suggest trying fine steel wool or scotchbrite to smooth the ridge this or is it a recipe for trouble?!

thank

Edited by tinman1

Recipe for disaster. Nitro is fickle, unpredictable and if you're gonna get something like that done, take it to a luthier - because that's where it will end up anyway if you try steel wool or whatever,and it will end up costing more. 

Someone more knowledgeable than me may disagree, but I don't think so. 

To be honest, there is not much you can do other than ruining your guitar when doing it yourself, or pouring money down the drain contracting a professional.

The lacquer deciding to sink in leaving a ridge between fretboard binding and neck is unfortunate, but it can happen at specific spots susceptible to it, such as at the first fret top-side of the neck.

Depending on how pronounced the transition area is, there might not be enough finish to sand the spot flush. On the other hand building up the clear coat to smooth out the ridge would take months and months and then even more time—hardly a financially feasible task if you ask me.

If the guitar is new and this issue is triggering your guitarist's OCD, then returning it might give you the peace of mind you're seeking.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Thanks both…had more or less come to that conclusion already. I suspect polishing the ridge down might work, but the risk of polishing through the clear into the ebony paint is too high. 

Playing the guitar this weekend, it really wasn’t noticeable. So I can live with it, especially on a 2021 LP classic at 8.4lbs, which seems to be a low weight for this model. If I do change my mind on that I think an extra layer of clear coat (from a luthier) would sort it.